Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Wildlands Project

citizenreviewonline.org link

Real time - Land Grab in Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC
I received an urgent email forwarded from one of our members in Nevada about an extremely important issue happening this morning in Mineral County Nevada. The Nevada Wilderness Project will be attending the Mineral County Commissioner's meeting on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 10:00 am, located in Hawthorne, Nevada. We also received word that there is a map of their proposed Wilderness plans for the County.

Please take a minute to read the email below. Then, if you can attend the meeting or make a phone call, please do it. Pass this information along to every recreationist you know.

"Do you know about the proposed land grab in Mineral County, Nevada? The following is from a friend over in Hawthorne, Nevada: If everyone could call the TV stations 2 4 and 8 they will send crews down to the 10am meeting at the Court House tomorrow for the proposed Mineral County wilderness land withdrawn meeting! They just need a few more concerned citizens. We need a good amount of people there tomorrow at the meeting also or we're going to loose a lot of land around here (whole mountain ranges and valleys). If you fish, hunt, 4wheel, explore, horse ride, use water, care about military training or tax intake for the County, mine, quad, boat, hike, bike or camp- then this directly impacts you! Some places are Aurora, Hontoon, Wassuk (Mt. Grant Range), Walker River (yes the Elbow), any future water well locations to up Hawthorne's water capability (which we already need), anywhere you look around Mineral County is on the map from these sneaky groups. They will be in and out and tell Congress we all said it was a great idea like they did in other places if we don't stand together on this.

Tell everyone you know!

If you think this is a one time shot - here is their plans for the wild areas of the North America............. Entire swaths right through us!

http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/s...ep_by_step.htm

Chris Hegg

More info on the web:

Map showing proposed wilderness land designation expansion causes concerns
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...50397/1038/MVN"

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Some of the language in that link/page is totally off the wall:

"...calls for approximately 50 percent of the United States to be set aside as "wildlands", where no human can enter..."

"...From control of the water - to taking land out of private ownership... "

There is no risk of private land being "taken" and there is no threat of any of the proposed wilderness being off-limits to humans.

Not saying I am fully a proponent, but the panic/threat/alarmist language used is troubling and makes the opponents of wilderness lose credibility.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Southern Rockies Wildlands Project...

http://www.twp.org/cms/page1114.cfm
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Trail Ready

Default Wildlands Project

As a landowner, Iím very concerned about the Wildlands Project and the threat it poses to private property owners like me. With no congressional oversight, with little or no input from local citizenry, and using taxpayerís dollars, NGOís like eco-terrorist groups the Nature Conservancy and the Sierra Club are directing U.S. federal agencies to implement programs like the Wildlands Project. The government owns or controls 40% of the U.S. and continues locking up private land and federal land. Like Marx and Engles said in their Communist Manifesto, ďIn this sense, the theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: abolition of private propertyĒ. This threat is real.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
"...From control of the water - to taking land out of private ownership... "

There is no risk of private land being "taken" and there is no threat of any of the proposed wilderness being off-limits to humans.

Not saying I am fully a proponent, but the panic/threat/alarmist language used is troubling and makes the opponents of wilderness lose credibility.

wrong. happened to my parents neighbors in washington. they claimed something about endangered species and the people creating a hostile environment for the species.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Martin, as strange as it seems, it really does impact private land ownership (and I am not an unqualified land rights advocate; for instance, inholdings in national forests are a real source of concern for me, and complicate land management immensely).

That said, when land is surrounded by either a huge landowner like Ted Turner, or lands bought by the Nature Conservancy and turned over to the government, the rancher's land value plummets.

Why? He cannot expand to support an increasing herd size as profits get squeezed and the existing land cannot support the larger herds necessary to survive. Also, property taxes supporting local schools and infrastructure are reduced due to a smaller tax base. To survive, the local government must raise taxes.

The end result is the loss through bankruptcy, tax lien, and repossession of family farms and ranches, often pioneer ranches held in families since the beginning. At that point, of course, the land may be purchased cheaply, and yes, turned over to the government for use as part of the Wildlands Project.

Let's not call it a conspiracy. Perhaps a good business plan (minus profits; let's say the 'profit' is the achievement of increased land holdings, especially in the case of Ted Turner, who holds his 'ranches' in a private quasi-wilderness state more than a working ranch; again, part of a Wildlands ethic).

Predatory, yes. But conspiracy is such an ugly word. It does seem like a page right out of the Wal-Mart strategy.
KDōRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

You all know I like to stir the pot when it comes to this type of subject.

However, I didn't realize that I would be harangued with bullet points taken straight from the extractive industries "Handbook on the Manipulation of Public Opinion".

Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Huh?
I did not consult anybody's bullet points...
You know how I feel about extractive industry and public lands.

The dialog is appreciated in fact!
KDōRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Trail Ready

Extractive industries. Is that a global community way of saying oil and gas drilling, mining and chemicals? Those are bad things? Letís distance ourselves from mid-eastern oil, letís not drill in ANWR and on Alaskaís North Slope, letís not drill in the Gulf of Mexico, letís not drill in New Mexicoís Valle Vidal (The environmentalistís say itís such a beautiful place!). Remember what we learned in Econ. 101. A nationís economy can generate wealth only through three primary things: manufacturing; the growing of crops and timbers; and mining of minerals from the earth and the sea. The sovereignty and the security of our country are being threatened by attitudes and policies created in large part by well intentioned environmentalists and their often damaging manipulation of public opinion.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Letís distance ourselves from mid-eastern oil, letís not drill in ANWR and on Alaskaís North Slope, letís not drill in the Gulf of Mexico, letís not drill in New Mexicoís Valle Vidal (The environmentalistís say itís such a beautiful place!).
Whats bugs the sheite out of me is that "we" don't want to drill in the Gulf but yet many countries (including the Chinese now IIRC) are doing just that

Hello? What am I missing here?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater