Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Corbet,

I know how you feel. I found my FT-8800 on eBay, which helped on the price a little. I enjoy the dual band feature.

FWIW I've been monitoring eBay for rigs (like I'm sure many others are now ) and am finding that used rigs are going for 75%+ of what a new rig will run . Not really any spectacular deals and time is short.

One suggestion - If any of you folks are looking at a rig on eBay and plan to bid on it, it might not be a bad idea to throw up a quick post in the members only section (or here) with the item # so the rest of us aren't bidding against each other - I tend to be a snipe bidder and so far all the rigs have exceeded what I'm willing to pay for a used rig way before the auction end but I'm watching. I would hate to snipe bid against another member.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't mind the additional cost of the 8800/8900 as much as I'd hate buying the 7800 and wishing I'd got more.

I know I want the following:

1. detachable/remote faceplate.
2. 2m/70cm

I think I want/need

1. dual tuners
2. Backlighting on controls

Beyond that its still all Greek to me.

If the 8800/8900 controls had the backlighting the decision would become easy, maybe?

Maybe I need to look at Kenwood and Icom too. Anyone have a recommendation there given my parameters above?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I don't mind the additional cost of the 8800/8900 as much as I'd hate buying the 7800 and wishing I'd got more.

I know I want the following:

1. detachable/remote faceplate.
2. 2m/70cm

I think I want/need

1. dual tuners
2. Backlighting on controls

Beyond that its still all Greek to me.

If the 8800/8900 controls had the backlighting the decision would become easy, maybe?

Maybe I need to look at Kenwood and Icom too. Anyone have a recommendation there given my parameters above?

I'm with you. The rigs aren't bank breakers per se but I don't want to buy a rig and within 6 months wish I had more. It will be at that moment, when I go to sell the old rig to buy a better one, that used rigs on eBay stop selling for nearly what a new one costs . I'm leaning toward the 8800 but the non backlit buttons bug me and that seems to be the most prominent complaint and a safety issue in a mobile rig.

Did you DL Hant's spreadsheet from this thread? Some pretty helpful information there that you could add to. He had some different requirements (like APRS) but it might give you a starting point.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Last edited by corsair23; 03-04-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: are vs. aren't...yeah, makes a difference ;)
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Did you DL Hant's spreadsheet from this thread? Some pretty helpful information there that you could add to. He had some different requirements (like APRS) but it might give you a starting point.
I don't have excel at work, I'll have to look at that tonight at home.

With a brief look at Kenwood's website this one looks interesting:

Kenwood TM-V71A http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communicat...obiles/TM-V71A
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 03-04-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I'm with you. The rigs are bank breakers per se but I don't want to buy a rig and within 6 months wish I had more. It will be at that moment, when I go to sell the old rig to buy a better one, that used rigs on eBay stop selling for nearly what a new one costs . I'm leaning toward the 8800 but the non backlit buttons bug me and that seems to be the most prominent complaint and a safety issue in a mobile rig.

You quickly get used to no backlit buttons but I agree totally, I really wish I didn't have to have the dual LED map light lighting up the cockpit like the surface of the sun just to make some programming changes in the dark! Another issue with the dual bander is if you are on two active freqs even with the auto mute on it is annoying to listen to the freq your not listening too! It is as easy as a quick twist or couple button pushes to get the unwanted freq off station to quiet it down but there is sometimes that........
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a Kenwood TM-V71A.

Just wish I could get a hold of someone who has one. I only found one MUD member with one. He sounded like he was pretty new to HAM too, and had not really played with it much yet. His only complaint was it didn't have the double controls like the Yaesu. That sounds like a very small price to pay in order to see in the dark.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a Kenwood TM-V71A.

Just wish I could get a hold of someone who has one. I only found one MUD member with one. He sounded like he was pretty new to HAM too, and had not really played with it much yet. His only complaint was it didn't have the double controls like the Yaesu. That sounds like a very small price to pay in order to see in the dark.
There are ham on-line forums that might shed some light!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
There are ham on-line forums that might shed some light!
I know, I just have not got to that level yet. Still trying to limit feedback to the 4 wheelers point of view?

Edit, searched eHAM forum. Didn't find much of any use.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 03-07-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I know, I just have not got to that level yet. Still trying to limit feedback to the 4 wheelers point of view?
How similar is it to the rig that Hants has? Same rig, just with less features? Hants is the only member I know of that has a Kenwood. I've been bashing this around as well and having a radio that many others have is a big plus when it comes to questions. That is impacting my decision.

I'm seriously considering just getting a HT now for CM08 and waiting on my true mobile rig until I know more. I'm thinking a HT with a good external antenna will work just fine for the time being. Based on what we've seen so far with the demostrations at the HAM classes and knowing how far Chris H. can reach with his HT, it seems a good HT will do all I need it to do for now (communications along I70 to/from CM08 and on the trail at CM08).

I'm leaning toward the VX-7R in silver (Chris H. stated the person he talked to say for some reason the lettering stays on better than on the black ) from Ham City. Used ones, whether mobile rigs or HTs seem to be going for within $50 of new so I prefer new with warranty (unless you're lucky like UB and Romer ).

GL and post up what you end up going with
TLCA #17037

:

Old 03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I PM'ed Hants, waiting for reply.

Another thing to consider before getting an HT for the time being. If you get the same brand HT/Mobile there are a few unique features from brand to brand. Kenwood had something I ran across while reading the owners manual but sorry I forgot what is was. But it will probably influence a Kenwood HT purchase if I end up with the Kenwood mobile.
2004 Starcraft 10RT