Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Aircraft Frequencies?

So since Technician class gets you priveleges on all amateur bands 50 MHz and higher, does that mean we can call on the aircraft frequencies? It looks like their band lies somewhere in the 115-135 MHz range. I was just thinking in case you're out in the middle of nowhere sometimes the planes flying overhead are closer than the nearest repeater or ground contact. But maybe the aircraft frequencies are above 50 MHz but aren't considered to be amateur bands - or maybe our radios (in stock form) can't drop to 115 MHz? I'm still learning, but don't really know how to fish yet.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been able to listen on my VX-7R, but it does not transmit on those frequencies.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I've been able to listen on my VX-7R, but it does not transmit on those frequencies.
Search.....VX-7r's are very easy to open freq's as it's just a secret code.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

The only frequency you'd really need to be able to transmit/receive on is 121.5 - that is the international emergency frequency that pilots, ATC, etc. monitor.

I don't know the rules around transmitting on 121.5 if your not in a plane but in a life and death emergency...

Back when I was flying I use to like to listen to theCentennial tower frequency (118.9) on my ICOM HT...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
So since Technician class gets you priveleges on all amateur bands 50 MHz and higher, does that mean we can call on the aircraft frequencies? It looks like their band lies somewhere in the 115-135 MHz range. I was just thinking in case you're out in the middle of nowhere sometimes the planes flying overhead are closer than the nearest repeater or ground contact. But maybe the aircraft frequencies are above 50 MHz but aren't considered to be amateur bands - or maybe our radios (in stock form) can't drop to 115 MHz? I'm still learning, but don't really know how to fish yet.
Just 'cause you're a ham doesn't give you privileges on aircraft automatically. I think you have to actually be a pilot or ground controller.

That said, aircraft is in the VHF band, however they use AM. The VX-7R can do AM or FM on 6m, but only FM in 2m, 220MHz or 440MHz. The FT-7800/88/89 can't transmit AM anywhere. Even the FT-8900R will only do FM on 10m.

All of them (in fact most wide band RX radios) can hear AM, just very limited transmit ability of it. You'd probably have to get an HF rig that could tune the VHF band to even consider it. It might be easier to just carry an aircraft radio for emergencies. Also a fair number of pilots are hams (in fact just about every private pilot I personally know is a ham, that's odd now that I think about it) and probably will have a ham radio anyway.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just 'cause you're a ham doesn't give you privileges on aircraft automatically. I think you have to actually be a pilot or ground controller.
As a former Air Traffic Controller, I can tell you that transmitting on one of the control freqs would be a quick way to have the FAA come down on you like a ton of bricks. If you had to transmit on anything use 121.5 like Corsair said.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
transmitting on one of the control freqs would be a quick way to have the FAA come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Yeah, seems it would be bad to have both the FCC and the FAA ticked off at you...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Yeah, seems it would be bad to have both the FCC and the FAA ticked off at you...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yep! But if you're pinned under your rig and tried everything then I'd rather have 'em POd at me than dead

Just FYI, from my experience with my ICOM HT with the rubber ducky antenna the "reach" isn't very good. For instance in the "Ranch" I could not typically hear the Centennial tower (<10 miles away) controllers talking, but I could hear the planes in the vicinity talking to the tower. Even when I used it once in an semi-emergency during a flight I could not talk to the tower until I was within ~10 miles of the airport.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Yep! But if you're pinned under your rig and tried everything then I'd rather have 'em POd at me than dead
What is it they say, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Quote:
Just FYI, from my experience with my ICOM HT with the rubber ducky antenna the "reach" isn't very good. For instance in the "Ranch" I could not typically hear the Centennial tower (<10 miles away) controllers talking, but I could hear the planes in the vicinity talking to the tower. Even when I used it once in an semi-emergency during a flight I could not talk to the tower until I was within ~10 miles of the airport.
Keep in mind that aircraft use AM and so if you are TXing and RXing on FM, the range will seem to be very poor in both range and quality. I can hear KAPA Tower 118.9 at my house just barely in the truck. Such is the down side of AM, it attenuates quickly with range.