Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Answer to the APRS ?

The digital mode for sending position data on 2 meter is AX25. AX25 protocol uses 1200 baud Bell 202 audio frequency-shift keying(AFSK) I apologize, it's not phase shift keying

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 02-26-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Did I understand correctly, form the discussion in class, that in order for APRS to function the rig needs to have a GPS unit connected up to it? That makes perfect sense of course as obviously the rig needs to know where it is at in order to report its position.

I have neither a GPS unit nor a HAM rig yet but am weighing my options. I like the benefit of the APRS for various reasons, just want to make sure I understand what else is needed to make it really work
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yes you need a GPS, a TNC (terminal node controller) and a radio. The GPS sends your location data to the TNC, the TNC encodes it and sends it over the air to a digipeater. A digipeater is a repeater that is connected to the Internet and is able to receive the digital signal and send it to a site like find-u.com or UIview.com. The location of the transmitting station shows up on a map.

APRS can also be done simplex where the TNC is connected to a computers sound card and the data is decoded and overlaid on mapping software.

Some radios can be purchased with a built in TNC so all you have to do is connect a GPS. Icom now has a rig with a built in TNC and GPS.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the answer Seldom Seen. Ax25 and AFSK make perfect sense. BTW-the message sent from the GPS to the TNC is a NMEA-0183 GGA message. This is the autonomous location of the GPS receiver and should be accurate to about 6-10 meters CEP. There are many other message types that could be used including velocity and timing.

You can read about NMEA here: http://www.nmea.org/pub/0183/

and Here: http://www.nmea.org/pub/0183/
Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

So I get this ham radio thingie, see, and I do it because I want to talk to people further away from me than, like, a CB can reach, see? So I hears about this class, it will help me get a license so I can talk, and I works out a dealio so's I can get a radio without royally ticking off my , right? So I am pretty much set to talk on this dang thing soon's as I figger out all those dang buttons, which I figger Dave will teach me about.

I figger some time I will get the time and ability to install the dang thing in between doing everything else...

Then I keep hearing about all this techie stuff and I understand some of the words but the music escapes me... I ain't a gonna ever catch up to this stuff.

Will you still talk to me?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Will you still talk to me?

We'll still talk to you...We just won't know where you are at

I'm with you Bill...LOTS of information to digest and now I understand why folks like UB state that passing the test is really only a small baby step into the HAM world. It seems safe to say that using a rig on a regular basis is what is really needed to "learn" about HAM, which is pretty much how everything in life works. You can buy a 4x4, read about using it, listen to folks that use them, but there is nothing like first hand experience to really teach you how to realize its full potential
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater