Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Not to hijack you're thread but did you get Landtanks housing or work out a "deal" with him? Maybe we need a MAF thread as well...I'm waiting for feedback from Hants on his thoughts...
MAF mod is GREAT.

- Initially the idle was "lopey" (cycled between 600 and 650). This went away after a bit (a few days). Probably due to ECU learning/re-tuning the idle Fuel Trim (FPR idle pressure backoff is disabled when the new MAF is installed because the new MAF can correctly meter the low flows).

- A bit more acceleration at low speeds, and a bit less throttle to maintain speed on the freeway

- About 1MPG gain in economy

- Engine is now a bit "throaty" off idle. Kinda truck-ish.

- LTFT materially changed. Not out of spec, but it shifted. Talked with LT about it, and came to the conclusion that it was due to 1) old, corroded IAT sensor, or 2) slightly different response curve.

Note that I had already done a bunch of "tuning": new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensors, air filter, throttle cable, intake pipe, BG44K every oil change. Also, my motor has been blessed by Robbie (milled head, valve job, HG, ported & polished, cleaned & balanced injectors, cleaned intake, timing slightly advanced, adjusted transmission kickdown cable).

Overall, I'm pleased with where its at now. With "Power" on, I drive like a normal SUV, I can accelerate onto the freeway, I can pass vehicles on the freeway (with attention & preparation), I can hold the passes at 60. Not an over-powered American SUV, but very drivable.

Only 2 steps more on my "performance" mission: Snorkle & 2.5" exhaust. No forced induction in my future.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's what I'm hoping for Nay, that without a super charger and without a snorkel that I'll still get a nice little kick, beyond the "seat of the wallet" placebo effect. that's a great term, BTW. But I don't think that undermines any of Rick's intentions at all, everyone should see results from this, not just the S/C'd or the snorkeled.

But how much better does it get or can it when you add those extras will likely continue to be the debate.
did you just hijack your own thread?

The way I read it, the new MAF sensor allowed the truck to stay in closed loop longer than the stock one instead of just dumping fuel.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Not to suggest that Landtank hasn't done great work when I say this:

I wonder how much of the gains have to do with the sensor alone on a normally aspirated truck. That seems to be the bigger bit of it for those who don't necessarily need to extra "headroom" for forced induction.
Once you see the OEM & LT MAF's side-by-side, it's clear that at least some of the improvement is due to less restriction. The OEM is probably a full inch narrower in ID, AND has a huge nose cone in the middle.

Based on my research & experience, the gains come from:

1. less restriction (see above)
2. wider response curve (idle to 27+ lbs/minute, versus OEM >idle to about 17 lbs-minute)
3. faster response of sensors to flow/temp changes
4. sensors that are new versus 10+ years old
5. less time in Open Loop

A couple of detail changes I noticed:

- I basically can't get my NA 1FZ into open loop except at WOT anymore
- My max MAF flow reading went from 17lbs/minute to 19+lbs/minute

Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
did you just hijack your own thread?
Yeah kinda looks like it, doesn't it.

But we're still talking about snorkels.. so Hants you've done the MAF mod, reported improvements, but still think you'll get more performance by adding a snorkel? And are you going with the Safari for "ram effect," or with OEM?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun member

I have not done any research into snorkels but it would seem to me that with the viscosity and flowrate of air coming into a Safari snorkle and the fact that it has to almost completely reverse its direction of flow there wouldn't really be much of a ram air effect anyway? Or has someone measured or at least felt a difference? Probably a stupid question that's been part of the discussion for years and I just don't know about it...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Take the air filter out. All it does is block airflow
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Back to our originally scheduled programming...

Nakman: Sounds like a snorkle installation party is in the works!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

But we're still talking about snorkels.. so Hants you've done the MAF mod, reported improvements, but still think you'll get more performance by adding a snorkel? And are you going with the Safari for "ram effect," or with OEM?
I haven't looked, but by all reports the OEM intake in the fender is a series of baffles -- taking in pre-heated air (right next to the exhaust manifold).

IIRC, the (recent?) Safari snorkles have a larger cross-sectional area than the OEM. Also, the stock air filter is very effective; I'm sure *I* don't need more filtering. Based on the installation instructions, the Safari also has fewer turns (add up the angle changes over the whole run).

My guess is that there's about as much performance to be had from a snorkle as there is from the MAF mod -- due to less restriction & colder air (I doubt the ram-effect is much).

Then the exhaust would be the other end of the "breathing-easier" plan. Critical for forced induction folks, and a "little" help for us NA folk.

JMHO

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would think the greatest benefit of the snorkel is the lower intake air temp. Lower the air temp, the denser the air, more power to be made. Better MPG, maybe?

And all this great knowledge is based on the fact I've never owned a vehicle with a snorkel. Just good old physics So take it or leave it.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

My question was about just the sensor with the stock MAF...if it will bolt up. On the MUD thread, a great deal of discussion was about the enormous improvement the sensor provides, so for a naturally aspirated truck might you be hitting "80/20" with the sensor alone if it will bolt up?

Back to scheduled programming, not sure how you get much ram effect around 4 bends along 6-8 feet, but no doubt the air is cooler. Haven't you noticed how much more powerful your 80 is in the winter months?