Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Snow Run Investigation 2/17

Well I had a kick in the pants run yesterday - I think it's the most fun I've had since this trip in October 2006.

Since it didn't sound like anybody else was going to make it I was slow getting going and rolled into Georgetown at about 8:32. I aired down to 12 psi (the lowest I'd previously done was 15 psi) I went rolling. Boy does the enigne have to work harder to get those tires rolling up some of those hills! I can see why guys throw 350s in their trucks once they go to those bigger tire sizes! The steering was also a workout the entire day, but c'est la vie for the time being...at least I didn't break a rag joint

I first wanted to get the skinny on Guanella Pass. They still plow up to the Silver Dollar Lake trailhead, but there is a 15' high pile of snow in the way so you can't go up to the pass - but at least they don't stop at the power plant as rumor had it.

I then went back down and made it about 100 yards up Argentine Pass. I probably should have tried the chains to see what difference it would make, if any, but I just didn't feel like doing all that. I had to dig myself out a couple times and called it good.

So then I backed down and took a quick tour through Georgetown - pretty neat little town with a nice park for kids if anybody wants to take a Saturday afternoon drive up into the mountains.

Then I checked out Saxon Road, which I knew there was a gate on so I wasn't expecting to get anywhere. But it was THE MOST fun of the whole day! Every switchback seemed to have deeper snow, so I was honing my snowdrift-bustin' skillz! Gentle taps to test the conditions, then full throttle! Tried 1st high, 2nd low, 1st low on the steep stuff, it was a blast to hear that engine get wrapped up and maintain! I got pretty high up the hill, almost to where the trees blank out on that hillside, but was having a little trouble with one section on a ledge and decided not to push it. I think this road has good possibilities for a smaller group - 5 trucks max. The gate at the bottom is always open, a local told me, so that's good. A lot of it is windblown and it's west facing, and if we can get to the top I imagine there's bigger deeper drifts etc.

I thought about going up towards the Grays Peak trailhead, but I figured with my low air pressure it would be a struggle to get up the interstate and since it's higher the snow would probably be deeper. Another day perhaps.

I checked out the ice racing on the lake, but no registration people were around so I couldn't ask any questions. Looks fun though!

Thought about Jones Pass, but didn't want to disturb any of the backcountry skiers and boarders, plus figured there would be a lot of snow. Also thought about Bill Moore Lake, but I know there is a lot of snow up there and I'm pretty sure that there's no gate.

Drove by Spring Creek and was tempted to go up the first section, but decided against it. I imagine you could probably go up to where the sign for the MHJC is (I personally would not go past that), but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Maybe worth checking out sometime.

Headed back up to Alice, saw York Gulch and was tempted to turn off but didn't. Also say another gulch (Hayes?) further up, but that will have to wait until another time. It looks to me like Kingston Peak and Yankee Hill are not accessible from the back side this time of year, there was SO MUCH SNOW in Alice and St. Marys it was ridiculous. I found the turnoff for Loch Lamond but a *EEP was parked right on the middle of the road! Oh well, I wasn't planning on going down that road anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I might've had to winch him into a snowdrift to get him out of the way if I had been

Didn't have time to check out Lamartine, and I was getting pretty beat up from all the driving up to that point, but I did head up the road past Indian Hot Springs where during the summer there's a forest road system that's open - good stockish forest driving, I'd say good for an afternoon family picnic. There's a gate in the winter though that's closed. But before you get to that road there's a turnoff for Stevens Creek - I think it's the road I almost rolled my truck on a couple years ago because I slid backwards on ice into a ditch - I always wondered where it went and if I wasn't getting low on fuel I would've tried harder to push all the way to the end - again perfect snow depth for me, and a small ditch on one side that I had an interesting time getting sucked into and then having to get out of. It goes past some summer cabins but looks deserted in the wintertime. Again good old engine-roaring, exhaust-a-flowin', tire-spinning, and snow-flyin' fun!

Someday I'll hopefully be able to get pictures off my camera again, but for now use your imagination!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you had a full day of fun...... I would have loved to join you but work calls and OT is always good, maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you had a good day.

I have a couple of extra USB photocard readers, what kind of card does your camera use? Memory stick, compact flash..?

We Need Pics!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun member

Thanks for the offer Martin - I don't know, I'll have to check tonight. We'll have to talk about meeting somewhere, maybe tomorrow?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice work and good fun. I hate the feeling you get when your looking at busting through a drift by yourself when there is no-one around to strap you backwards. I turn into a complete pansy.

Sounds like Saxton Mtn. could be a good club run huh?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Rising Sun member

Saxon Mtn. could be fun for a small group. Because it's on somewhat of a shelf road, and because I couldn't get a little higher into some of the trees where I imagine more snow is held, I would like to try getting up there with a group of no more than 5 or so, preferably with bigger tires, and take a little harder look at it. Same goes from the Lamartine side, I know in some places the snow can get really deep, but it seems for the most part it's lower than say Yankee Hill so the likelihood of being able to make SOME headway, even when YH snow is deep (like the last couple of years) is high. Problem is I'm not sure very many people in the club are familiar with that area much. I'm not.

Still want to try Castle Gulch and/or Switzerland or Bunce School Rd. before the winter is over, so maybe we can get some Northsiders to represent!
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Let me know when you want to do Castle Gulch. I know the south end of Bunce is gated for the season - not sure if the north end is open.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Let me know when you want to do Castle Gulch. I know the south end of Bunce is gated for the season - not sure if the north end is open.
I'm in! Bet I can get Robbie to play too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun member

Okay, so my camera's memory card looks like a mini floppy disk - it's rectangular, about 1" x 1 1/4" x 3/32" thick, says "X digital media" on it, 512 MB, secure digital.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Okay, so my camera's memory card looks like a mini floppy disk - it's rectangular, about 1" x 1 1/4" x 3/32" thick, says "X digital media" on it, 512 MB, secure digital.
Sounds like you have SD memory. Unfortunately my readers are Compact flash, Memory Stick and Smart Media. SD is one of the most common types of camera media, so you should be able to buy a reader at someplace like Best Buy for under $20.