Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Wincher

Default Might have found her - Opinions/Advice/Thoughts?

Just got off the phone with the seller, and for once, I'm first in line. Told him I would need to figure out airfare but he offered to "reserve" her for me over the next day or two in case I want to fly out this weekend and drive her back.

Now's the big question - what do you all think? Here's my immediate reaction list:

Pros:
-Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Finally.
-A mud member whose threads show his attention to detail. He trusted this 80 to be his wife's car, then his sons, and then his daughters.
-White (my favorite 80 color)
-Cloth (my preference)
-ARB front bumper WITH winch, Kaymar rear, and a 2.5" OME lift - that's everything I want/need for now and the foreseeable future for my realistic offroad plans, other than 33"s and steelies.
-Interior and exterior look great, and he has tons of detailed photos.
-BIG pro - what a nice guy, who just spent 30 minutes on the phone (called ME) and was quick to divulge any and every detail and wants it to go to someone who knows 80's and loves them (I'm an emotional attachment kind guy too, no shame).

Cons:
-Standard concerns with an FJ80: Rear drum brakes, less powerful engine, obviously older
-Mileage: I know the standard saying is maintenance is more important than miles, but at what point is mileage just too high?
-Obviously not local, so a one way flight and 12-14 hour drive back...but I do have a few friends in Austin to enjoy the weekend with.

Craiglist ad (higher price):
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4896911514.html

Mud ad (lower price):
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1991...-texas.839864/

We left it that I would look up flights and price out my expected gas costs and get back to him ASAP. Like I said, he said I had "first dibs." Please impart your opinions and advice!
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

3FE and 245K miles, why does that appeal to you?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
3FE and 245K miles, why does that appeal to you?

So that's a no way, I assume? That's why I'm asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks really clean. The 3FE that was in the 80 Series is pretty sluggish if you plan to make I-70 treks very often though. I would recommend a 1993 or newer with the bigger engine.

The 3FE is a proven engine as far as reliability goes, but the 1993+ engine has more power. I've had a 1991 and currently own a 1996.

Either way, these are solid rigs.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm not an 80 guy, but 5 grand for a rust free, well maintained cruiser seems alright. Sure it's high miles, but if you're willing to do some work in the future, so be it. 3FE, get used to the slow lane (like all of us happy 40 series 55 series and 60 series drivers). But show me a rust free 40, 55 or 60 well maintained without rust and I would wager it goes for a lot more than that 80...

Just my opinion, I've been known to be wrong.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Wincher

Definitely know I'll be in the slow lane, and I do make trips up 70 (maybe once a month at most). Good news is the lady might be getting a new (2015) AWD something so I told her that if I get a 3FE I'll just drive hers if we're in a hurry to get up the mountain.

My commute to work is about 2.5 miles, from Arapahoe and Quebec to Dry Creek W. That may change down the road but knock on wood won't be any kind of long daily commute.

This will be the DD for a few years until I want to pony up for a second car insurance and get something just for commuting and let this be a toy.

I wish miles were lower, but can't help drool over a rust free, well cared for 80. I appreciate all the opinions and please keep them coming. You won't hurt my feelings if I'm being an idiot, I'd rather know.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend View Post
Definitely know I'll be in the slow lane, and I do make trips up 70 (maybe once a month at most). Good news is the lady might be getting a new (2015) AWD something so I told her that if I get a 3FE I'll just drive hers if we're in a hurry to get up the mountain.

My commute to work is about 2.5 miles, from Arapahoe and Quebec to Dry Creek W. That may change down the road but knock on wood won't be any kind of long daily commute.

This will be the DD for a few years until I want to pony up for a second car insurance and get something just for commuting and let this be a toy.

I wish miles were lower, but can't help drool over a rust free, well cared for 80. I appreciate all the opinions and please keep them coming. You won't hurt my feelings if I'm being an idiot, I'd rather know.
Buy it and enjoy it. It looks like a nice rig.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 02-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Trail Ready

It looks pretty nice, but like others have mentioned those things are slooooow. Like really, really slow.

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I had a 1992 FJ80. I'd buy another one if it had a blown engine and I was planning to replace it with a V8. If you're planning to drive up to the mountains, this will be a dog.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I had a 1992 FJ80. I'd buy another one if it had a blown engine and I was planning to replace it with a V8. If you're planning to drive up to the mountains, this will be a dog.
Matt - I know we talked about this before, and that the mountains would be a slooooow ride in the right lane. Was daily driving the 92 an unpleasant experience as well?