Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Hardcore run this summer?

Just wondering, since we may have involvement with the Salida Ranger District and Iron Chest this summer, do we want to talk about having a hardcore run this summer? Either Holy Cross or Iron Chest? A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits

Would anybody be interested in planning a "hardcore" run on either of these trails this summer?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd be up for Holy Cross.
I usually run it with some of the Stevinson guys over Labor Day but I think I'd like to do the RS Ouray run this year instead.

I am assuming Iron Chest will be run by some of us (at some point) if we adopt it
Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits
x2 - I'd be interested in riding/walking the trail
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would be happy to lead both, I love them (Cleveland Rock, not so much). Just as happy if someone else wants to lead though.

Iron Chest is not terribly hardcore, kinda like Spring Creek on steroids. Holy Cross is not terribly difficult either, there is one tippy spot that tickles my innards every time. Ex-specially if it is wet. Sliding downhill on a wet diagonal log when already off camber will do that to a boy.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
A lot of us newbs have never run these trails, and I would at least like to ride along/walk those trails just to see them; don't think I want to take the 40 on them the way it sits
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
x2 - I'd be interested in riding/walking the trail
I think you should plan on making the drive. The inital "one-way" section is fun but not overly technical. If it you decide you have had enough you can always take the bail-out and ride from there. More likely you will be having so much fun you won't want to stop.

French Creek is the first real challenge and it is pretty close to the end. I'm looking forward to see it this year; with the snow we have had so far this winter I expect it to be a very different obstacle.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun member

I think I'm going to limit myself to one breakage in any given 12-month stretch; 'course I only made it 7 months between having the truck out of commission this last year; that means if I'm going to make up that time then I have to wait until July '09 to break something again

But in all reality I'm hoping my truck will be either under the knife by then - 'twood be sweet if it was back from under the knife, cause then I wouldn't have problems running either one of them!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

the first time I ran Holy Cross I had a hell of a time but I was unlocked and in a j**p. The 2nd time I ran it locked and in a 40 and it was a nice drive in the woods. I hit my door post on the rock that isn't there anymore when crossing French Creek and that was the only issue.

video here: http://www.actionjackson.com/cruiser...HolyCross2.wmv
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
the first time I ran Holy Cross I had a hell of a time but I was unlocked and in a j**p. The 2nd time I ran it locked and in a 40 and it was a nice drive in the woods. I hit my door post on the rock that isn't there anymore when crossing French Creek and that was the only issue.

video here: http://www.actionjackson.com/cruiser...HolyCross2.wmv
Thanks for posting the video. The 40's made it look easy.
KDøGWM
Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I will be down for driving all of those. What is the general thinking on dates?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Thanks for posting the video. The 40's made it look easy.
Nice video but the trail has changed since that was taken. A lot of ATVs take the left side and the resulting erosion is causing the exposed rocks to migrate further into the trail and the areas between the rocks are deeper.

I'm really expecting one of the larger rocks to shift north this spring and that will make it really tight to get past.