Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Thanks, Chris, that red one in back is probably just what I need.. do you know which part that is on their site? http://www.offroadconcepts.net/
I just emailed him and copied you. It's 38"x20". This looks like it:

It's listed for $94.97 in black or red.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim,

I've been working with Eddie on this for awhile now. Got the net installed and I was pretty happy with it at Moab. I'm working with Eddie to determine if it is a viable solution for the 80 series "as is" or if it needs some tweaking.

What I've found is that for it to really work 100% you'll need to install some footman loops which I am not really wanting to do. I was comfortable though during CM08 with how tight it was how I installed it. I'll throw up some pictures below including a modified version that Eddie sent back to me showing how he thought it should be installed/look. Turns out we "think" I had the top & bottom flipped . It fits a little tighter now and if I could attach the bottom center to something it would be real taut. Construction quality wise the net seems to be top notch.

On another note, I'm thinking for folks that have drawers OR don't mind installing a set of footman loops on either side that the 1/2 net (IIRC also for the Discovery) would work real well and be all you need. The 2nd row seats of the 80 are pretty high so you don't really need all that much net. The fact that the 1/2 net is less expensive doesn't hurt either. I've been trying to get Eddie to send me on to try out and report back on

Do me a favor though. If you DO contact Eddie (Offroad Concepts), let him know you are with Rising Sun and that you are seeing this stuff. I'm not sure he'll give you a discount or anything but I've been telling him I would share this information with all of the RS members etc. so it would be good for him to know we are sort of serious about the nets . I think how the MUD thread/experience turned out kind of turned him off a tad.

Anyway, sorry for not posting up sooner but I was trying to finalize things a bit more. But, I should have been quicker to share this information knowing that some of you may be interested in getting something for the Rubithon .

Pics

Picture 1: How I had it installed
Picture 2: Showing how it might look with a couple footman loops to secure the sides of the net (have them temp looped through the 3rd row window latches for the picture)
Picture 3: Showing how I have the top attached - Note I purchased 4 additional sections of tie dows and used one on each side to secure the top of the net to the 2nd row grab handles. Didn't use the other 2 sections (yet)
Picture 4: Just a view of the side
Picture 5: The modded picture Eddie sent back to me - this indicated I had the net installed upside down. I thought the net was the same top to bottom. I reversed the net yesterday and it does indeed seem to fit better but due to the crappy lighting I didn't snap any pictures.

Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

thanks for the pics, that is pretty nice. It looks like the one I want is the D-90 net though, not the Disco one. I really only need a couple feet, just whatever is above the 2nd rows.

Any interest in getting yours Rubithon tested? j/k.. these are cool, but dang even the cheapest one is $100.. I shouldn't have waited so long.

edit: what does that middle set of straps hook to? the ones in the slider.. is that just a bracket that wedges in somehow?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
thanks for the pics, that is pretty nice. It looks like the one I want is the D-90 net though, not the Disco one. I really only need a couple feet, just whatever is above the 2nd rows.
That is my thought (and I believe that is the net Eddie mentioned as a possibility) for anyone running drawers in the rear or that doesn't mind adding some footman loops to the side walls in order to attach the lower portion of the net (I'm guessing here on the install).

Quote:
Any interest in getting yours Rubithon tested? j/k.. these are cool, but dang even the cheapest one is $100.. I shouldn't have waited so long.
Definitely, although I was figuring Matt would be using it in his 80 . I haven't talked to him about it though so maybe he already has something to use - either way I'd like to have it on the run to see how it does so I can provide feedback to Eddie. I have one of those metal dog barriers you're welcome to borrow for the trip, just not sure how that would work with your drawers .

Quote:
edit: what does that middle set of straps hook to? the ones in the slider.. is that just a bracket that wedges in somehow?
There are actually 4 attachment points on each side...The loops at the top and bottom and then another set just below the top loops and just above the bottom loops. Technically the preferred installation method would be to install 4 footman loops on each side, at strategically placed locations, for the straps on the net to attach to.

Personally, I don't really want to drill into my body to attach the footman loops to the truck, so I'm trying to make the net work without doing so. I have now attached both upper sets of straps to the 3rd row grab bar (in the second picture above I have 2nd top strap temporarily strapped to the 3rd window catch plate just to show what it would look like with that strap pulled tight out to the side). I then used a couple of the additional straps I bought to attach the top loop to the 2nd row grab bar as well (one per side). This allowed me to "center" the net between the two and have it hanging just behind the 2nd row seats.

For the bottom hoops, I only attached one of them on each side to the cargo tie down points. I wasn't planning on the net having to hold anything heavy back as the heavy stuff was independently strapped to the floor for CM08. I really wanted the net more to keep lighter items like sleeping bags, duffle bag with clothes, pillows, etc. from coming forward.

Now that I have flipped the net (top became bottom and the bottom became the top) like it should have been it seems the net appears to fit better and more like what Eddie drew up on that picture. I have the 2nd loops from the bottom attached to the hinges on the outside of the second row seats and the bottom loop attached to the cargo tie down points. Much tighter now.

For the full net setup I'm thinking that it might work if a person were to fab up some brackets that could attach to the grab handle bar bolts that would allow you to slip the strap through. Make up a couple more that could attach to the 2nd row shoulder belt attachment point for the 2nd set of straps. Maybe install 1 set of footman loops on the wheel wells for the 2nd from the bottom strap. The bottom strap would still attach to the cargo tie down points.

For the 1/2 net the setup would be the same at the top but the bottom would need to probably have some footman loops on the side walls of the rig. The question being how low would those loops have to be to make the net tight because I can forsee problems if the loops need to be installed down where the interior trim becomes the bulky plastic....
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I want a net that I can move from the rear to just behind the drivers seats. I will load quite a bit mid ship to distribute weight better and a movable net is a good idea! This is also why I do not want any more passengers other than a co-pilot as the butt heavy 80 doesn't need everything packed in the butt!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff
Maybe I missed it. Which net are you using for the 80?
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
Jeff
Maybe I missed it. Which net are you using for the 80?
Dan,

The net Eddie sent me is the "LRBN Land Rover Discovery Barrier Net"

I can't link directly to it but if you go to Offroadconcepts.net and click on "Shop", then click on "Land Rover Netting", it is the 4th one on the page. Assuming everything works out with my install and Eddie is satisfied with the fit and feels others will be as well, it will become a listed net under the Toyota section
TLCA #17037

:

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I want a net that I can move from the rear to just behind the drivers seats. I will load quite a bit mid ship to distribute weight better and a movable net is a good idea! This is also why I do not want any more passengers other than a co-pilot as the butt heavy 80 doesn't need everything packed in the butt!

UB,

I was looking at that possibility last night . Thinking Rubicon here and either having the 2nd row seats out or folded.

A quick look makes me think the net would work behind the second row seats but it would require some creativity on mounting points. You would definitely need to come up with some way to attach the bottom straps to the floor and then something to attach the top straps to. Possibly the grab handles again?

As a point of time reference, it took me about 10 minutes Monday night to remove the net and reinstall it "upside down" so the net is definitely quickly movable. Much quicker to install and remove than the metal doggy barrier I used in the past, and the net doesn't leave a "dent" in the headliner . Although the dent went away so maybe that isn't a concern.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

New pictures...

Got the net "flipped" and it seems to fit much better . All I can say is I was in hurry mode to make CM08 and was just happy to get the net installed for the trip and never bothered to pay much attention to something as trivial as there possibly being a top and bottom to the net

Anyway, here are the pics and you can decide for yourselves. For my purposes the net works fine. My one comment is it might be a couple inches too long but my feeling could change if I were to install some footman loops and really get it pulled snug side to side. But, I'm thinking rather than installing footman loops I might look into having some attachment points fabbed up that can be installed under the grab handles and seat belt attachment points...

NOTE: The way I have the net currently installed required the use of 4 additional straps (purchased with the net). 2 are used on the top loop to go from the loop on the net to the 2nd row seat grab bars (allows me to "center" the net behind the seats). The other 2 I used to lengthen the straps that are attached to the net loops I have secured to the 2nd row seat side hinges (can be seen in the 5th picture - note the two buckles).

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
UB,

Some pictures just for you . I was looking at how one might install a net like I have behind the front seats. The biggest issue I see is how far back the front row seats travel, especially for the taller folks . I'm 5'9" on a good day and my seat is pretty far back. The first picture below is with the PS all the way forward. The second picture shows the PS seat in a position even with where my DS seat is set.

In looking at possible setups, I believe a person could attach the top strap to the grab bar just above and slightly in front of where the seat is. The bottom strap could be attached to either a footman loop installed down low OR to a fabbed up bracket that would attach to the front seat belt attachment point. The middle two straps coming off the net? Well, not sure where those would attach to. The 2nd top loop strap might reach to the 2nd row grab handle. May have to use and extension. The 2nd bottom strap might go to the same bracket or footman loop as the other bottom strap .

One thing I have not checked yet is the height of the net compared to the floor to roof height in an 80. Knowing how the net fits in the rear cargo area I can only surmise the net will be a little "short" to reach the full height behind the first row seats. But, that is probably not a big issue, especially if the 2nd row seats are folded down or tumbled forward and given that the seats and the console should keep anything low down on the floor from coming forward.

Thoughts?

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

: