Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I was scoping it out yesterday. With the second row folded up (or even removed) you have the the seat hinges to mount to. I think it should work. The net doesn't need to reach the floor nearly as well as it needs to just protect the head area.....correct?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I was scoping it out yesterday. With the second row folded up (or even removed) you have the the seat hinges to mount to. I think it should work. The net doesn't need to reach the floor nearly as well as it needs to just protect the head area.....correct?
I agree with that- it just needs to keep the dog, the tools, the camping stove, a few green cans of gas and that half a case of water more or less in the back, in case of panic stop or, heaven forbid, front impact. In fact if it could just slow the stuff down to the point where no one cries when/if something hits their head, I'd be satisfied.

I'm still undecided on this.. I like these things but it's not where I want to spend more money today. Tempted to just get one of those tailgate nets and cut it in half, then smack some more grommets into it ..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post

I'm still undecided on this.. I like these things but it's not where I want to spend more money today. Tempted to just get one of those tailgate nets and cut it in half, then smack some more grommets into it ..
Exactly what I have been thinking!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun Commander

great minds! Ok I'm good for half of one if you want to do this..

hey cool they improve gas mileage too! http://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
great minds! Ok I'm good for half of one if you want to do this..

hey cool they improve gas mileage too! http://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm
Is 1/2 of one big enough? I was talking the 80 ya know....a mini Runner you could cut one into thirds and net off the whole second seat area!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah you're right, maybe it'll take a whole one, or close to it. Still, $40 sounds a lot better than $200 today.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Quote:

You guys CRACK me up

UB, I agree that the net does not need to reach the floor to use it, especially if you have seats etc in the way of things down low. You just need some longer straps easily obtained to reach whatever you are tying down to
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Pretty pleased right now - Moved the cargo net from behind the second row seats to behind the front row seats. I attached the top 2 straps to the front 2nd row grab handles and I attached the bottom strap to the rear of the outside front seat frame. I just looped the 2nd strap up from the bottom to the ring of the bottom strap. A creative person could fab up an attachment point coming off the front seat belt lower mount and/or the seat frame bolt for the bottom straps if they desired.

In the pictures, both front seats are set to where they are normally positioned. Both seats can slide/move forward without any strap interference. I didn't really check for rearward movement but I imagine that would just make the net tighter.

I took pictures with the 2nd row seats up, folded flat, and tumbled. Also, I took some pics with a tape measure to show how much space there is from the top of the net to the headliner and between the side of the net and the B pillar. Nothing big should be sneaking through there. Now, if you carry a samurai sword or something similar, well...

Anyway, check out the pictures and let me know what you think. I'll have the LX at the meeting on Wednesday night with the net in this configuration (I want to check for "noise" from the net movement, if any).

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Last edited by corsair23; 06-04-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

More pictures

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Commander

That's pretty sweet, .. so is that setup going in Hulk's 80 for the trip? Maybe you should just take yours...

As for me I appreciate all your legwork on these Jeff, but I think I'm going to stick with what I got for now. I've got a small net-like thing that contains the dog, then the rest of our gear will just stay below the back of the seats. I was thinking of a larger net then realized that makes reaching the fridge from inside a problem, and well there may be times when that just won't be acceptible.

www.gamiviti.com