Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Smile Chains!

So if I want to purchase some chains for my FZJ80 before the Sunday Snow+Pizza Run, where should I get them? I'm running BFG AT 285/78 R16 tires (virtually identical to a 33" tire). Is there a big difference in quality? Pep Boys? CarQuest? Napa?

And... how do ya put 'em on? I'm a complete tire chain noob.

TIA.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've got a pair, I think. Should they go on the front or the rear?

Old 01-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

May want to ask treeroot where he got his, nice oval square link style. It is best on all 4 wheel. but when going up, on front, when goin down on rear. Reasons are you want to chains to do the best for you, so going up you are pulling through stuff and most of the weight is over the pulling axle. When going down, if on front, rear end likes to come around so chains go on rear. Short stuff not a big matter, but long down hills with ice, it is best to have the chains on the rear.
Antother method I have seen reccommened is oposite corners of the truck, one front, one rear. I guess the thought is one will bite to not allow the swaping of either end. And that way if no lockers a wheel will find some traction and pull you forward. Good for a experiment if want to try that method. good luck robbie
Old 01-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

http://tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm

219 for all four delivered for 37s. 33s run around 150 for all four.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Lifted

Default RUD Chains

I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article a few years ago for my 96 Taco. These are the coolest and easiest to put on chains, especially when you are already stuck. Good German engineering. It was fortunate that my 85 has 31x10.5 tires and these fit again. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder . The price, I think, was reasonable.

Matt
Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,
I'll bring them Sunday , for me! I'm going to try and put them on tomorrow in the street. I thought it would be better to figure it out ahead of time.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Matt... also check out murdochs on santa fe. THey have, or had a pretty decent selection of chains.

I dunno if i'm going tomorrow. I have alot of stuff to take care of this weekend. I also thought about seeing how far a stock crusier can go and ride from there
TLCA#4180
Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun member

Another option for later is to 1) check out I-70 after a snow and pick up tire chains that truckers have thrown/left on the pullouts. I got seven and could have gotten more in one run. 2) check out the state shed in the triangle where Hwy 40 turns off of I-70. Those CDOT guys pick up those broken trucker chains (mainly the cross links) and then I don't know what they do with them. Throw them away? Anyway I'm planning on asking them here pretty soon for a friend of mine, then all you need to get is the crimpers and you can make your own chains for pretty much anything up to a 12.50 tire (maybe wider, not exactly sure)! They have nice cam tighteners too so you don't even need rubber straps, I'll be sporting them on the S/P run for sure! If you have the time to get/make them you sure can't beat it! Basically free! After four hours I came out with four chains plus some spare parts and some tossers out of those seven (two were for double-wides)
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Unhappy No chains for me, not for lack of trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmandrake
I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article a few years ago for my 96 Taco. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder .
Western Retarder is now KLAM, and they aren't open on Saturdays.

I went to Murdoch's and they didn't have anything bif enough for a 285/75.

Then I called around. If they were open on Saturday, they didn't have my size chains in stock.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.