Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Reviving Skelator

Ok, cabin fever is setting in hard. Gets me thinking more and more about the 4runner and future plans. Getting the 4runner going again is not only based on just being able to hit the trails, but also for a planned trip sometime next year, probably either late summer or fall.

I'll start with some thought from the Homegrown Crew. "Keep it Toyota and Keep it simple". Seems to work well for them, and I dont plan on the 4runner seeing that hard of trails...

I'm planning on the build being done in phases. Time and money being the biggest reason for that thought. For the most part, everthing works decent. So i'm starting with mounting a roof top tent to the back. I've decided to go with the Series 3 1200 Eazi-Awn from Equipt1.com. I like the 1400 but dont think i'll need that much room. With that, brings the first(?) step. Re-working the down tubes to mount the tent. This is where the Homegrown Crew comes in. TJ has been kind enough to offer some shop space and a little help to get this part done. Though, it'll be some time as TJ will be spoting Ben in the Raisin in this years western division XRRCA races. Good luck boys!

So from there, i'm looking at a dual battery set up from Cruiser Outfitters. Might as well get that out of the way since my battery is dead. Also going to look into a selectable locker, as i'm not a fan of the e-z locker.

Come fall, i'm going to start with the Engine/tranny/t-case setup. Figure it's time for a new motor. Still planning on keeping the 22re as it has proven to be a good one.

From there, i'll dive into the suspension. Remove the IFS for a SAS unit and re-do the rear. Also throw in a front locker.

For now, i'll stay with 33's to keep CG low. Maybe see how I feel later on about moving up to 35's...

Theres other stuff i'm thinking about also, like a fridge, extra gas tank and maybe even a water tank, etc.. Just will depend on what $$ allows.

I'm excited to get it back out on the trails. And cant thank the Homegrown Crew enough for offering to help out. And as always, i'm always interested you thoughts etc..

Attached Images

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

we definitely need to see the 4tuner back in action
TLCA#4180
Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

sas swap and dual batt's. You hardly have a roof, why get a roof top tent?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Perry: Adding all that comfort/adventure stuff makes me think Skeletor is the wrong platform, especially when you add all that weight! I think you also are looking at about $5000 in upgrades to skeletor without adding the fridge and tent. Skeletor needs a SAS and a selectable front locker, room and gears for 35s and you have a REALLY fun streetable truggy!

FJ80 time Bud. You get a roof to mount your tent, room for a fridge, bigger engine, already solid axle, hold out for one with selectable lockers and that upgrade is solved, way more adventure comfort...DO THE MATH. I think you need a rig like Robbie's. He's been with you on your adventures so you know how his rig works in this role. VERY trail capable, yet streetable rig. Get the red 80 from avalanche, put on the tent, get the fridge, and add minimal lift for your 33s or 35s. DONE!

None-the-less, oh yeah, get that truck out on the trail!

Add some tube to build the family cage. That's cheap and easy. Put the tent on the roof 'cause you want it and you can move it in the future. Get the 'fridge cause you want it and can move it in the future. Don't worry about the engine 'till it blows up. SAS it if you still have all those parts laying around. You'll like your truck a lot more on both the street AND trail. (Trust me, I drove my bucket IFS for 7 years).

Last edited by leiniesred; 03-07-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post

FJ80 time Bud. You get a roof to mount your tent, room for a fridge, bigger engine, already solid axle, hold out for one with selectable lockers and that upgrade is solved, way more adventure comfort...DO THE MATH. I think you need a rig like Robbie's. He's been with you on your adventures so you know how his rig works in this role. VERY trail capable, yet streetable rig. Get the red 80 from avalanche, put on the tent, get the fridge, and add minimal lift for your 33s or 35s. DONE!

My thought exactly.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Perry: Adding all that comfort/adventure stuff makes me think Skeletor is the wrong platform, especially when you add all that weight! I think you also are looking at about $5000 in upgrades to skeletor without adding the fridge and tent. Skeletor needs a SAS and a selectable front locker, room and gears for 35s and you have a REALLY fun streetable truggy!

I have to disagree.

Yes, the 80's are nice. But I already own the 4runner. Yes, I might be adding weight, but considering how much was lost after the conversion, I may be back where I was when I started. Biggest weight will be the tent, fridge, tires, and tanks. Keping the truck light is part of my though process.

I think it'll be about equal building either vehicles with$$. I just decided to work with what I have.

Farnham, as for the tent. We are going to be re-working the down tubes, making them flat so I have a good mounting surface for the tent.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I think the extra weight will help you. I thought your truck rode way too stiff with those AAL's for lift, since you have no rear end.. so maybe a bunch of junk back there will soften that up... look at that last pic you posted, see how much flex you have (or don't have?)

You already have 5.29's so 35's should be a no brainer, plus it may actually let you get up to highway speeds again. After your SAS I would think about making more of an enclosure in back to house the fridge and camping gear, right now you have no security for storage, plus all your crap is exposed out in the mud. I'm thinking some kind of expedition trailer setup, melded to your existing rear chassis, kind of like one of those plumber contractor truck beds with all the flip-up storage and drawers, but cooler.

edit: Also can you get a 3rd gen runner or Taco rear axle with the e-locker? not sure how easy those are to come by..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Exactly!!! wow. But more along the budget lines of what Terry posted up in the adventure trailer thread.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Perry, the Skelator will serve nicely for your purposes. True, you don't have a roof, but a RTT mounted on the cage will serve several purposes. Not my flavor, but it definitely fits your preferences. You really do not need the cost and weight of an 80. Stay minimalist, it suits you. These old pharts will be recommending golf carts next.

When your 33s wear out, don't buy another set. Go 35s. Lower your spare to lower the CG. No worries.

For the dual batt setup, you don't need a high falutin' kit. 1/0 Welding cable (ask Dave Rios from GASES in Littleton for the Bill Morgan deal), a $12-20 solenoid & three way switch to control it (IGN, OFF, +12: amounts to Charge, Isolate, Jump), some crimp fittings and melt-liner shrink tube, two Yellowtop batts, some Unistrut (cheap!), and threaded rod. Done. A rewound alternator or GM/Delco unit would be worth it.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I researched isolators, and the most popular brand sports 1960s internals. And is less than reliable (noting your current requirements, Dave). When put to the test it WILL fail, and it does have an internal voltage drop. The heat sink is a dead giveaway, the only reason a component needs to dissipate heat is its internal resistance. If they get mucho hot, they are not efficient, and that energy is lost - and electronics do NOT like heat. You can do the math.

Mobi-Arc makes a great isolator that needs no heat sink and is extremely small - it has next to no internal resistance (nor voltage drop). But even Scott at Mobi-Arc uses a solenoid in his Land Cruiser. The fact is, it is handy to have a convenient disconnect, or three-mode switch, which ain't gonna happen with isolators.

12V sealed high current solenoids are available fairly cheaply (outside of the automotive/4x4 world, that is), and I use one rated for 200A continuous duty. Warn sells a winch solenoid rated for 70A continuous, that might be a tad light . But they will happily help relieve that bulge in your rear pants pocket.

In this case, Luddite is technologically superior (IMHO).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.