Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

They got a bunch of my money years ago, don't like them much ;-) They did offer me a line of credit..........so I could loose more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Reno to the trail head is close to 3 hrs either way you go(straight up I80 to truckie, around the west shore, or down to carson, along south shore then out to Ice house rd). Ice house is not quite to Placierville. Once you hit Ice house rd, it is well over 1 hr(more like 1.5 hrs) to the trail head, all slow going on the pavement, winding rd. So if yo leave in the morning from Reno, you may have to leave at 5-5:30am to leave at the 9am start time. As for South lake Tahoe hotel, On the cali side is a Motel 8, I think a Hotel 9 (or something like that), When I have stayed at this place before I think I paid about 50/night. for the Motel 9 place. It was going though a remodel the last 2 years, so prices may have gone up if the remodel is done. Do not know if they allow dogs.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

So what do you guys think?
  1. Dinner/drinks/etc in Reno. Stay there Tuesday night. Drive 3 hours to the trailhead Wednesday morning.
  2. Dinner/etc in Reno. Drive another few hours to Motel 9 or where ever. Drive 1 hour or less to the trailhead Wednesday morning.

Option 2 appeals to me, honestly. I love a cold beer, but I'm not much on gambling (other than a poker game among friends).
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
So what do you guys think?
  1. Dinner/drinks/etc in Reno. Stay there Tuesday night. Drive 3 hours to the trailhead Wednesday morning.
  2. Dinner/etc in Reno. Drive another few hours to Motel 9 or where ever. Drive 1 hour or less to the trailhead Wednesday morning.

Option 2 appeals to me, honestly. I love a cold beer, but I'm not much on gambling (other than a poker game among friends).
Why are we not staying at the campground at loon lake? skip the drive in the morning and enjoy the easy start too the day. it could be a long day on the trail. adding the extra 3 hr drive or the extra cost of a hotel seems unnessary. It would be a nice rest from the 2 days travel. We can set up a camp spot for tim and bruce so when they get in its all ready. and they can talk too us on their pork raidos, and it will be like their there.
thats My .02
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you take 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie you will shorten this leg by about 30 miles IIRC. My wife does the trip form Broomfield to Lake Tahoe about once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Just doing a little Google Maps work.

My initial route from Denver to Placerville, CA takes us north to I-80 for the entire trip. Here is a link to the map. According to Google Maps, this is 1,175 miles about 16 hours 37 mins.

Placerville -- how close is this to the actual entrance to the Rubicon Trail?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art hog View Post
Why are we not staying at the campground at loon lake? skip the drive in the morning and enjoy the easy start too the day. it could be a long day on the trail. adding the extra 3 hr drive or the extra cost of a hotel seems unnessary. It would be a nice rest from the 2 days travel. We can set up a camp spot for tim and bruce so when they get in its all ready. and they can talk too us on their pork raidos, and it will be like their there.
thats My .02

Rachel and I will be staying at a hotel/motel coming and going. Thats one of her requests. besides, we will be on the trail from Wednesday to Sunday, plenty of time for camping.

I like option 2 Matt
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
As for South lake Tahoe hotel, On the Cali side is a Motel 8, I think a Hotel 9 (or something like that), When I have stayed at this place before I think I paid about 50/night. for the Motel 9 place. It was going though a remodel the last 2 years, so prices may have gone up if the remodel is done. Do not know if they allow dogs.
Robbie, I spoke with Jon Davis and after that I looked up some motels in S Lake Tahoe, there are a bunch to choose from. When I used Google to map out the route to the trail head it came up with 62 miles and about 2hrs. Like you said small winding roads etc.

Is there a town closer to the trail head that is "quaint" and fun to stay at? I thought there was a "Rubicon" town actually or something like that. Anyway since we will be coming out near S. Lake Tahoe we figured to stay there so the tow vehicle can be there and no driving around after coming of the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Rachel and I will be staying at a hotel/motel coming and going. Thats one of her requests. besides, we will be on the trail from Wednesday to Sunday, plenty of time for camping.

I like option 2 Matt
It's not the camping time Im talking about. It's the drive 2 days 2 nights stay in a hotel for just a few hours of crappie sleep for X amount of $ (some of us did not choose the high paying corp. job life path) get up at 5:00am drive 1.5 to 3 hours after a crappie breakfast. jump on the trail if you are there in time and spend as much as 10 hr on the trail with a group as big as ours. But I think the group can kind of split up once were in the area and choose what works for them and be at the trail head on time ready to go for a LONG day of fun in a epic setting.

Side note. one year Of the 5 I have done this We had to wait at the top of the big bowl while a commercial was being filmed. they had helicopters flying over with camera on them filming inline skaters skating the bowl at a high speed. they stooped by slamming into big gym pads. it was a cigarette add for japan. go figure
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I'd definitely rather not stay in a hotel, motel or inn at all, ever. I will consider it the night after coming off the trail for a shower (not to mention marital bliss, if momma is happy, Dave is happy). I may have ended up in the corp job, but wondering about the high paying part as I sit here eating my Kroger-brand instant oatmeal. Blah.
Geez the gas is going to cost about $1000, what's another $60
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I like option 2 as well, Matt. And if part of our group sets up camp, then the rest of us can catch up with them later that night, after we get our Reno on. I'd rather roll into camp late have a quick beer then crash on the ground, than get up at 5:00 and drive 3 hours to a trail... I've slept in ski area parking lots before, kind of the same deal.

Dave, your pictures are a riot, keep 'em coming!

here's a couple I took while there on business in 2005...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com