Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 AM

The pocket is a good location for me, so I may have to settle on that.
I don't know how to make a container that is waterproof and well ventilated.
After reviewing some of Mark's Alaska trip pictures on MUD I may want to put the radio up in the pocket anyway for any kind of water crossings even if I forget about rain and condensation. Those pictures gave me the creeps.

Rami
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default The FTR-350 is not made to MIL STD 810...

So it is susceptible to moisture failure depending on conditions. It is not an "all weather radio".

The FT-2900R (along with its predecessor the FT-2800M) IS made to MIL STD 810, and Yaesu's FTM-10R is made to IP57 which means it is dust protected and can sustain submersion to 1M.

The first radio is not able to have the faceplate removed for remote placement, the second is.

It sounds like the purpose for the FTR-350 was supposed to be an "All weather Radio". My advice would be to do the best job possible to protect it from the elements. Keep it cleans. Don't do water crossings that would allow water above the floor of the vehicle. Otherwise, the FTM-10R is a better choice.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I don't know how to make a container that is waterproof and well ventilated.
Not waterproof, just more waterproof than sitting in a big open area

The pocket won't be waterproof, and with the cover on not all that well ventilated but I don't recall Hulk ever saying he's had an issue. His radio survived the Rubicon trip with some pretty deep water crossings so....

As for a waterproof enclosure, I was thinking of a box with vent holes/slots in the bottom and sides but not the top. Big enough that there is plenty of air around the radio for the fan to circulate and hopefully any water/condensation will go out of the bottom instead of onto/into the radio. That said, the most impressive thing I've build was a sub enclosure years ago for 2 10" subs so I don't have much experience/knowledge in this are.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Just got a call from Yaesu with a tracking number. should be receiving it today, Friday. Which is a good thing as I am planning to go on the trails Saturday and to my property on Monday. When I am on my property (big) by myself, the radio becomes important should anything happen. I have a local repeater near by. One of the reason for the FT350 is that I plan on getting, eventually a protable. I can configure the portable to talk to the 350 and the 350 to relay out with 50W. Typically I will be chainsawing trails a way from my car so a portable on me in case some sugar maple or big pine tree falls on me I should be able to radio for help. I think the FT350 is going into the rear passenger pocket giving the above discussion.
KD2KDK
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

You could get real fancy and design a box (nearly waterproof) with inlet and outlet fans to keep the radio cool
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It sounds like the purpose for the FTR-350 was supposed to be an "All weather Radio". My advice would be to do the best job possible to protect it from the elements. Keep it cleans. Don't do water crossings that would allow water above the floor of the vehicle. Otherwise, the FTM-10R is a better choice.
Dave, I was implying that rhyary might have intended his choice of radio to be an "all weather radio". That idea I was suggesting was a poor one, and suggested the FTM10R as a suitable replacement. Even though it is FM, the 10 W power should be adequate with the right antenna for the intended use.

Don't you agree?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Not waterproof, just more waterproof than sitting in a big open area

The pocket won't be waterproof, and with the cover on not all that well ventilated but I don't recall Hulk ever saying he's had an issue. His radio survived the Rubicon trip with some pretty deep water crossings so....
experience/knowledge in this are.
The radio went into the pocket. It is a bit cramp there, but I think the radio has some thermal protection and I will take that over water damage.

Overall I am very happy with the setup. I was able to hit a repeater 33 miles away with the diamond (770) 1/2 antenna. Sporadically I was able to get 50 miles to a repeater but only when I was on high grounds.

The location of the face plate is great and convenient to use. I saw on another web site that a mounting bracket from the FTM-10 will fit the 350. I wish I knew that because it would have been a better to use that bracket than using what came with the 350. The main difference is that the FTM-10 bracket has two mounting bolts and the 350 has one. So in order for faceplate not to twist, I had to tighten it more than I want to. I can upload pictures if anyone interested.
KD2KDK
Old 09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I can upload pictures if anyone interested.
We ALWAYS want to see the pictures

I've decided that I am going to have to do something different with my antenna coax routing. It creates enough of a gap in the weatherstripping that I get water in the rear of the LX going through a car wash. Of course the water that gets in there is NOTHING compared to the literal flood I get during a car wash from the sunroof area
TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Default No more blanks :-(

My last blank position has been used for the 3 way selector. Gamiviti did not work for me because at the end I did not want to loose the JDM cap holder. So I installed the digital display in the ashtray. I can close the ashtray at night if the light bothers me.

I needed a 3 way rotary switch for the digital display since I am monitoring the two batteries and the digital filterminder yet to be installed.

All the wiring is done. I really enjoy seeing the voltage information. I can see how my ham radio affect voltage when transmitting, I can see how it drops when I start the car. I can see how the alternator pump 14.3V and then quites down to 13.8.

I really like all this information, but I am weired, I like to watch the progress bar when installing applications on computers. God help me......

Rami
Attached Images

KD2KDK

Last edited by rhyary; 09-21-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

I moved the alarm indicator over to the left side of the steering wheel where there are more blanks. The wire behind the dash was long enough so that no rewiring was needed.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln