Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Trail Ready

Default Qro

QRO = Increase power.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Can someone confirm that the mic is RJ-11 and the radio uses cat5e? I haven't purchased the radio and need to know what wires need to be run.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post

When have you guys with 70 cm used it yet?
Only once, and that was to access a repeater to listen in on an expedition portal net. Oh, and one time trying to learn how to cross-band repeat. that's it..

Mike I am not sure what the faceplate wire is, it sure looks like CAT5 but I don't think the connectors are that wide. I think Shark Bait has an extra cable, or you're welcome to come up and stare at mine if you want.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

what about a quad band antenna vs a dual band ? is there even more of a compromise ?
What about the quad band and radio vs the Dual band radio? it is abut $45 more which is like 25 bucks a band....
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Each time you spit the antenna up with a trap or coil you lose some of its radiating efficiency. That is not to say that it won't radiate effectively, it will just be less than optimal for any one band. Kinda think of it like this, in a sense you are tricking the antenna into thinking it is longer than it actually is for some bands, and not for others. Like silly putty you are asking it to take different shapes on.

In our discussion over the CB antennas, the 102" whip will far out-do the firestik (or similar) antenna, simply because you are putting more metal into the air.

The home brew 5/8λ 2M antenna will out perform a dual band antenna for 2M and 70CM. The difference might be unoticable for your purpose. Same thing goes for single band vs multi band yagis. A single band yagi will have maximized forward power and gain for the band for which it was designed. A tri-bander will have forward power and gain maximized to work for all three bands, not just one.

So to put it this way, if you use all four bands regularly, it will be more beneficial to you to get the 4 band antenna. If you think you will play mostly on 2M and for fun do 70 CM once in a while, stay with a dual bander. If you don't think anything other than 2M will be of use to you, get a mono-bander. Remember, too, that the quad band radios are usually for 10M FM, 6M FM, 2M FM and 70CM FM. 6M is said to be the magic band right now, with awesome opnings frequently allowing 1000 mile plus transmissions, 10M FM is not that busy.

Do what you like and what interests you. Go for it all. Play with it, its what makes the hobby fun!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Nathaniel,
that really helps calrify it for me and explains why Nakman believed the "2 meter only" antenna reached out better, because it probably does. But at the cost on not being to do 70 CM.
for the extra 45 bucks i believe i will go with the FT-8900 and start with a dual band antenna mounted on the rear hatch.

It is all new and interesting at the moment. It may be i want to carry a 2M dual band and quad band antenna at some point just to have options, but baby steps for now.....
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Great info, but...

The antenna thing still baffles me. So many choices, so many mounts, so many different opinions. Since many of you have now had your setups for a couple years or more, can you sum up some of your experiences (good and bad).

I have at least a couple of options for the Tacoma:

- When I had my rear bumper built, I had Jed include an antenna tab on the drivers side for future use. I could mount something there.

- Front drivers side fender/hood mount. I currently have my radio antenna on the drivers side, and my CB antenna on the front ARB on the passenger side.

For reasons that others have concluded, a roof top mount would introduce some height issues. In the rear, my truck has a part-time can back, and a composite bed, so I don't have anything resembling a ground plane back there. So in my situation, is the driver front fender the best spot?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

The other thing that I'm having a hard time with is selection. Brands like Diamond, Comet, Larsen with similar and different models, and all kinds of options that I don't really understand. I could just pick a dual band NMO that has worked for someone else with a similar setup, but I'd like to understand it a bit more than I do. What is important in antenna selection? Height? Wavelength? Single vs Dual Band?

BTW - I'm leaning toward the Yaesu 7800.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Matt, my solution has been two antennas: both of mine are Comets, for no other reason than everyone else seemed to be buying them. I've got a longer SBB5 that is great for highway travel, on the way to runs, etc., and Moab. Then I've got the shorter SBB1 for wheeling in trees. Since my mount is up at the top of the hatch now, even the little one (think it's 18"?) gets bent over by trees, but it works very well for trail communication, and can still hit the repeaters.

But the longer one is better, no doubt about it.. proven several times this past summer on the Ghost Town & Ouray runs, as well as many monday nights talking to guys on the repeaters and on simplex. If you get a 7800 and a SBB5 antenna I'd be able to talk to you from your house to mine, but if one of us had a shorter antenna that would be more difficult, and impossible if we both had a short one. Not that ability to talk to me at my house should be any decision criteria for antenna purchase, just sayin...

Also I went to HRO and asked for a 2m only antenna, but they said you can't really get one, pretty much everything off the shelf is dual band these days.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have an SBB1 mounted on the rear hatch. It works well and won't snag branches. I have been looking for a higher gain antenna for non wheeling use. The SBB5 is with a 2m gain of 3.0 is good but my likely next purchase will be a Comet CA2X4SR which is also a 40" antenna but touts a gain of 3.8 on 2m.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln