Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Route we are thinking of taking to Rubicon

So I have been playing on Google maps and sort of planned a route for Sharon and I to take on our way to Rubithon. Our final destination before going on the Rubicon will either be S. Lake Tahoe or ????

Check out the route and let me know if there are some interesting places to see in between there. We will be camping with two dogs so please keep that in mind. Also we like quaint fun towns. We are leaving Denver on 6-12 and plan to be in S. Lake Tahoe on Tuesday 6-17 so we have some days to fill.

I guess I should have been more clear, we are looking to do more stuff once in California. Mostly on the way back to S. Lake Tahoe from Stinson beach. The route to and from S Lake Tahoe I am not to worried about.

http://tiny.cc/Rubicontrip

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me

Last edited by RockRunner; 03-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nobody has an opinion here??? Heeelllllooooo..........Bueller..........Bueller ????

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think the question is the section of US50 through Nevada, is there anything interesting?

First, I think you should check out Matt's first two posts on this Route Thread to Rubithon. There's currently a proposed Interstate route and a non-Interstate route.

Other than the Grea Basin NP (which we are stopping at probably on the return leg), not sure there's much other than desert through Nevada. I'm looking forward to seeing that, but that's a scenic sort of thing and not specifically sights to see so much. I think the interesting part of the leg is through southern Utah and southwestern Colorado and you are doing I-70 through most of that. If you have the time, avoid the Interstates and just wander the Federal and State 2-lanes, that's my $0.02.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Ely has a cool old trail that should be up and running by then. Don't stop for the prisoners in Nevada. That is what all the signs say. S. Lake Tahoe is the perfect place to stay the night before. Allow about 2.5 hours to get to the trailhead from there. Gas up in the little podunk town about 10 miles from the turn off or be prepared to get raped on gas at Icehouse.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginericLC View Post
Ely has a cool old trail that should be up and running by then. Don't stop for the prisoners in Nevada. That is what all the signs say. S. Lake Tahoe is the perfect place to stay the night before. Allow about 2.5 hours to get to the trailhead from there. Gas up in the little podunk town about 10 miles from the turn off or be prepared to get raped on gas at Icehouse.
Good info to know.

Dave I guess I should have been more clear, we are looking to do more stuff once in California. Mostly on the way back to S. Lake Tahoe from Stinson beach. The route to and from S Lake Tahoe I am not to worried about.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Muir Woods, renting scooters and touring San Francisco for a day, hanging around Sausalito... There's lots to do. My favorite place to visit.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Muir Woods, renting scooters and touring San Francisco for a day, hanging around Sausalito... There's lots to do. My favorite place to visit.

Mark
We went to San Fran last year, did the Napa to Sonoma thing. Then we went north to US 101 about 50 miles and drove down to San fran. Rented a Gold-wing and cruised all around, best way. My wife had never been there so it was a spur of the moment trip that she still talks about.

Muir woods is on the agenda but they do not allow dogs there so we may have figure something out.

What is in Sausalito? I have heard of it but never been there.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
What is in Sausalito? I have heard of it but never been there.
Kind of an artsy town, which my wife likes. We rode rental bikes over the Golden Gate to get there, hung around most of the day, then took the ferry back into the city. Good day.

Mark

Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Kind of an artsy town, which my wife likes. We rode rental bikes over the Golden Gate to get there, hung around most of the day, then took the ferry back into the city. Good day.

Mark
Sounds like I am going to have to add that one to the list. Any idea if they are dog friendly? We are planning on walking around the little towns etc. so if we see something we like one will go in and the other holds the dogs.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Sounds like I am going to have to add that one to the list. Any idea if they are dog friendly? We are planning on walking around the little towns etc. so if we see something we like one will go in and the other holds the dogs.
No idea. Mine goes to the "Doggie Marriott" when we travel. He's got Silver status. :-)

Mark