Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Which 35" Tires to buy..

The BFG AT's I had on the truck before (they were 33's) were great on the road and i loved how quiet they were, but i miss the mud traction i had with the MT's i had before them. anyways, i am now comitted to the 35" tire upgrade and need to buy a set but was wondering what people's experiences were... I have a set of 15x8 wheels on the way from summit and am tempted to buy the BFG AT's from tirerack.com (35x12.50 - 15's are $157 a peice) since they are such a good deal.. any better deals around town on something else? discount tire wanted like $173 ea. for the BFG AT's..

should i consider any other tires? is the mud bad here in colorado in the summer or is it mainly dry? will i miss the muds like i did in the muddy south?the truck will have a winch, so getting stuck is not as big of an issue anymore.... maybe i am talking myself into another set of AT's..

yes yes, i know the mud vs. at tire thing is personal preference, but i am looking for some input.

sorry if you guys are getting sick of seeing my posts in here
82 FJ40
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun member

These guys are long sick of seeing my posts but I persist

Again it's going to go back to what do you want your truck to do? DD+weekend warrior? Weekend warrior only? Trailer queen? I've been happy with my MT/Rs for the style of wheeling we have here and in Moab, plus the occasional DD duties my FJ40 may serve, and I've been in places where an AT won't get the job done, so I'm leaning more toward the open lugs. My next iteration with this truck will probably see the TRXUS M/T, which Uncle Ben runs and seems to enjoy. A lot of guys in the club started running the Toyo M/T at about the same time, but personally I don't see the appeal in that tire, it's heavy and stiff. If you're sticking with A/T, check out what the Goodyear Wrangler A/T has to offer; we've been happy running them on our Suburban and Tacoma for a few years now, good road manners and a pretty decent semi-open lug tread design. Yay for web wheeling!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

It really depends on how much wheelin vs trails you'll see. Summer is usually really dry and not much mud but mixed in with snow you'll see some. We usually try and stay out of it though. It's not like back east though. If your just taking the usual scenic passes etc you'll be fine with at's if you looking for harder wheelin you'll still want mt's
TLCA#4180
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Lifted

I have a buddy that is running these new tires called Pit Bull Rockers on his buggy, He really likes them. Otherwise I have had a set of BFG MTs on various cars now (yes thats how long they have lasted). The set before that saw about 50,000 DD miles before they finally gave out. So my vote would be for the BFG MTs if its a DD/weekend warrior.

The AT vs. MT isn't really about if you will see mud or not. Its more about the tread design. Yes initially each tire was designed for a specific use, but in wheeling its more about open lug vs closed lug. The open lug will flex and contour better than the ATs. IMO MTs are the are way to go for wheeling, but if its on the road they will be slightly louder and get some (not much) less traction in the snow.

Just my
TLCA # 18487
Fj-40 Buggy Thinggy
'86 4-Runner DD/Easy trail rig
'03 Ford tow vehicle
'03 LR Disco II (the car)
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have MTs on my 55 and I live at 9000'. so I see snow at least 5 months of the year. I think they SUCK! On packed snow roads they slide all over if Im not in 4wd. I did a 35mph 360 through a turn on them. Not fun in a SOA 55. I need new tires too and will go with ATs
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Siped MTs and don't look back

I'm biased obviously but honestly I had AT Revos on my Durango that were supposedly "snow rated" and I slid around more on those than I have on my siped Toyo MTs. Heck, I slid around more on the dedicated Yokohama snow tires I put on the Durango than I do on the siped Toyo MTs. I'm sure part of that is the vehicle difference but not all of it. I'm not a hardcore wheeler though so I'm not worried about chunking (still only had the centers done though) and my rig spends 99%+ of its time on the road.

Did you ask if Discount would price match? Seems people are having good luck with that lately. You might have to call around to more than one store though.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have run both on 4runners and a full sized truck. I will not run MT's on a full size again because it is just a waste of money for me.

As for the 4Runners, I have Goodyear MT's and love them, now that I know my pressure gauge was of, long story. Anyway like others said for rock crawling the MT's go above the AT's, they just grip better. In CO there is very little "legal" mud that you can get into. I try to avoid mud as much as I can since I hate the cleanup after.

My vote, go MT's. If you feel they are to slippery, they can be, then have them siped it helps a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
In CO there is very little "legal" mud that you can get into. I try to avoid mud as much as I can since I hate the rust after.
Fixed it for you!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM

COOPER STT'S!
never look back.its the only tire i will buy anymore.look great and make snow actually FUN to drive in.tuff as hell too.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

The trend for the 80 guys is the Toyo Open Country MT
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133