Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Commander

The appeal of Toyo's over the TrxUs's is the Toyos run quieter and balance very well. It's fun to wheel the big open lugs, but tough to watch them disappear on the highway, especially when you're paying $200+ per tire. I really like my Toyos, but probably won't buy them again mainly because of how expensive they are, and are going to be when the price goes up.

IMO, I'd watch all the lists for a used set of tires and then get some for half the price that are only good for another couple years, then see where you stand on the AT/MT thing after you wheel 35's for a while. You could probably pick up a set of tires for ~$500, drive them for a year then sell them for ~$200...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am running the MTRs for several years now, pretty quiet, seem to wear well and balance great. I am committed to them forever now with 5 of them on the truck and 2 more on the trailer now...

I hate to think of the cost of switching to something else!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Fixed it for you!
Thanks, work and play don't mix to well.............I actually had to listen to this call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
COOPER STT'S!
never look back.its the only tire i will buy anymore.look great and make snow actually FUN to drive in.tuff as hell too.
I looked at those too, could not find my size or I would have gone that way most likely. Got a great deal on them so I had to go that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
The trend for the 80 guys is the Toyo Open Country MT
old news .... the "new" trend for the 80 is the Cooper STT (don't get left out they will look great on the new rims )
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Trxus MT!

I will have a set with over 50% tread available in a year for a good price when it is time for my next set. That's a long way off, of course, but posted it to say that you will find sets of these from time to time to test out the different tires at way less than full price.

Mine are 16" (35x12.5x16). Snow performance is so good, so better than any AT I have seen or run, comparable to dedicated snow tires, that I won't run anything else, no matter how round it is. Snow, including deep stuff, is the reason I don't run a tire like the Nitto Terra Grappler as it would probably be sufficient for the wheeling I do and a nice road tire. I also don't like the smallish 315's (Toyo is big for the breed), although that may be splitting hairs.

But...I only put 7,500 miles a year as I work from home, so I'm not daily driving a soft compound into the asphalt every day as my miles come from trips where the 80 and its capabilities are what is called for over the minivan.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow... thanks for all the input guys!

This really helps... really really. i'm going to try and order some tires tonight after i call discount and see if they are willing to match any prices i find.

I am leaning towards getting the MT's again..
82 FJ40
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....QR5GEOMTPLOWLR

anybody run these?
82 FJ40
Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
The Yokos are a directional tire design, I knew a few who ran them to decent reviews, but I think you can see where lateral traction is not a focus. In a snowy mountain climate, that would be a downside to me. Seems to be more of a flatlander tire.

If I was looking for some more radically different, I'd give the new BFG KM2 a hard look as it is the probably the most "different" tire we've seen for the mass market since the MTR kicked off the rush for rock oriented "MT's" with good road manners.

These baby Krawlers represent a major departure from the standard BFG MT design, and clearly represent BFG's attempt to regain the market leadership it has lost over the past decade. I still doubt their icy hardpack competence, but reports will tell as more buy them.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

For me it would be down to Trxus MT's and Toyo's if I were to buy another set.

I liked my trxus a lot, and the Toyo's seem to be getting great reviews.

The toyo's are better on road and last longer. Offroad I think they are comparable as well, although I'd like to see a head to head test on these tires.

The only thing I can say is that if Toyo goes through with that gigantic price increase, i would be swayed towards Trxus much faster.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride