Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure if you're kiddin', but the PMS on the 7800 (and other Yaesu radios) is a band limit scan (Programmable Memory Scan = PMS). You put in an upper and a lower frequency limit for Ux/Lx. Then when you are operating the radio, you can select which pair of limits to use.

This is useful for VFO scanning. It's mostly designed so that you don't accidently walk all over particular frequencies, like the CW/QRP and satellite ranges when you are working 50W simplex or using repeaters. This is irritating if you've ever tried listening for a weak station and someone stomps all over them with over-deviated 50W splatter.

Another example could be say you are scanning listening for aircraft, then you could bound the radio to only listen over 108 to 137 MHz using AM. Or if you wanted to hear only 2m CW, you could limit your radio to scan only 144.00 to 144.275 MHz.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dave I wasn't kidding. I did a search on PMS Ham and thats what I came up with.

Not a scanner on the radio so I guess its not come up
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Searching the internet I find lots of confusion on these Hypermemories. Seems lie a powerful tool if used right, but on qrz and eHam very few could understand how to use it properly.

Any help here would be appreciated.

I think I am going to buy the book "Ham radio for Dummies" I certainaly qualify.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

The new Software seems pretty cool, just you can't start editing until you either read in the Radio or a Sample or another 7800 file. So I started with a sample file from the web site since I did not have the cable yet.

The SW author sent me the following tip in case anyone else does the same

There is one other thing to mention regarding using the sample files - your radio type may not exactly match the radio type in the file. If you get a message saying that the radio has refused permission to write then do this:
1. read your radio and note the Rig type in the top right of the window 2. read the file you want to write and compare the Rig type with that seen in 1 3. if different then click on the words Rig type - a drop-down appears 3. choose the value that matches your own radio and write to the radio.
Writing the sample file will reset all of your menu settings to defaults. If you don't want this to happen then do this instead of the above:
1. read the file you want to write and use Export to create a .CSV file of memories. Remember where you save it.
2. read your own radio and use Import to read the .CSV file of memories you created in step 1 3. write to your radio.
Best regards,
Bob G4HFQ
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
There is one other thing to mention regarding using the sample files - your radio type may not exactly match the radio type in the file.
This is true of many radios, but definitely true of most Yaesu radios. You can also make your life tough if you modify the radio (i.e. , extended RX, MARS/CAP or freebanding whatever you want to call it). In those cases you have to read the radio first, edit the file and program it. There is configuration information in the file and if the radio configuration and the file configuration are not the same that can sometimes confuse the software or the radio.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great post on Mud about Hypermemories. I saved the links to my harddrive for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Ken,

I use the Hyper memories and they are very useful. There is a good write-up on what they are and how to use them. The Yaesu manual is weak in this area. The purpose is similar to what Eric says about the presets but it is more than that.

Basically, each of the 5 Hyper memories is like a setting for a different radio configuration. Almost every radio setting can be configured the way you want it for a specific purpose and configured for one of the HMs (or all 5 of the HMs)

I'll give you a couple of examples:

HM1- Set for your configuration while in town. Local repeaters, custom power setting per mem location, mem alpha code, local simplex that RS uses, etc.

HM2 - Set for your travel mode. Simplex frequencies, state police freqs, FRS/GMRS, etc.

HM3 - Set for your state-wide repeater network.

HM4 - Set for your off-road club events. Your RS simplex freq, 145.52, maybe the closest repeater that would have coverage in the area where you have the event.

When you press the HM button the radio will automatically go into scan mode if that is the way you set up the HM, or into VFO mode, or into Memory mode.

The FTB7800 software gives you a great visual into the workings of the radio and it has a pretty good explanation of the Hyper Memories. It takes some time and tinkering to get it set up the way you want it but, like anything else, the effort will pay off in giving you more flexibility in using the radio.

I tweak mine about every 2 months and would do it more often if the radio wasn't mounted under the front seat.

Here are some links:

Hypermemories

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MDDfR_9...ermemories.pdf

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MDDfR-B...20the%20FT.doc

-B-
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a couple of hyper memories set up on my FT-8800, but I use the memory groups quite a bit. MG1 is local repeaters, MG2 is NOAA weather, MG3 is simplex, etc. I see hyper memories as a quick way to access memory groups. So what I have is HM1 is MG1 on both sides, typical configuration. HM2 is MG1 on the left side and NOAA o the right. HM3 is MG1 on left and MG3 on the right. That's about the extent of it because these are the configurations I use most often here in town. Anything else I have to do two key strokes to get MG4 thru MG10.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I got to talk to Tramontana on the road to and from Moab over the weekend. I listened to the weather bands. I was all excited about this until I read all this stuff... whew! My brain is full.

The radio certainly has reach though. Tra was a few miles ahead of me in Glenwood, breaking up, he could barely hear me. I punched it up a bit, and he said later it really cleaned up well even in the canyon. His HT of course was limited.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Wincher

Default Hey now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
...His HT of course was limited.

I resemble that remark!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have a couple of hyper memories set up on my FT-8800, but I use the memory groups quite a bit. MG1 is local repeaters, MG2 is NOAA weather, MG3 is simplex, etc. I see hyper memories as a quick way to access memory groups. So what I have is HM1 is MG1 on both sides, typical configuration. HM2 is MG1 on the left side and NOAA o the right. HM3 is MG1 on left and MG3 on the right. That's about the extent of it because these are the configurations I use most often here in town. Anything else I have to do two key strokes to get MG4 thru MG10.
Dave, I was looking at your 8800 file. Did it program both sides? Did you also include Moab and Utah repeaters? I am having trouble finding your post again with the file.