Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have some 1.5" aluminum spacers for the front that I bought from FJBen about a year ago. I don't have any spacers for the back, but maybe I could get some. Then all I would need is longer shocks? Lowered bump stops? How cheap can I do a lift that will clear 35s?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt, what I have found is you can sell your old springs from half to about 2/3's of the new price depending on condition. So It might be better to try J's on the rear and use your spacers on the front. Then sell yourold springs to recoop most of the costs.

I did the springs and then did J shocks and bump stops later. It's not all or nothing, you can build up your setup and upgrade as you go.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Matt, i am thinking about running the trail in my Gold Runner on 33's.
The crawler boxes should help a bit. For the Drive out with the rag top it is noisy, hot, but a bit nicer than the 40. I may have an open seat if i can whip it into shape by then....
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
Matt, i am thinking about running the trail in my Gold Runner on 33's.
The crawler boxes should help a bit. For the Drive out with the rag top it is noisy, hot, but a bit nicer than the 40. I may have an open seat if i can whip it into shape by then....
squeaking might drive you mad by the time you get there
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I drove it today and it is squeaking more than ever.....
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
If I'm going to go, I want 35" tires and enough lift to deal with them. When I talked with Tony Twiddy, he said the one 80-series with 33" tires that ran the Rubithon last year really struggled.

I'm going to need tires fairly soon anyway, although if I buy another set of 285s I will only need 4, since my used spare is still in good shape. But I can potentially take these out of the equation, since I'm going to need tires whether I go to Rubithon or not.

I'm just not sure if I can afford the 4" lift I'll need to clear the 35" tires. And then there's another $750-1000 in fuel costs for the trip. Plus food and an occasional motel room. I figure to do this thing right, I'm going to need $1800 for food/gas/lodging + $2200 for a 4" lift + $1200 for tires. That's $5200 that I don't have.

I could probably get my FJ40 ready for action with less money. If I cut the rear wheel wells, I could stuff 35" tires in there now (I have a 4" lift on it now). I have some 4.11 diffs in my garage, ready to be swapped in. Beyond that, I probably need to do some fluid replacement. But then I'm faced with 2500 miles in an FJ40 -- I'm not sure whether that really sounds like fun. I'd still have to buy some tires, although for the 40 I could buy some used ones, since it's not my DD.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm pretty gloomy today.

Matt, first, remember that STOCK, BONE STOCK FJ40s used to do the Rubicon trail in the mid 1960s for the Jamboree. You're a good driver, which gives you a major advantage. Before trail teams were invented, they test ran a stock FJ Cruiser on that trail.

Second, the difference between 33s and 35s is fairly minimal (in my first hand experience). Either your 80 or your 40 could do Rubithon as-is without plunking down major coin on lifts and bigger tires.

If I were in your position, I would take Hulk. Not as much worries from rock rash (compared to a wagon), and it's the real deal. The 80 has A/C and is quieter on the road, probably has more room for gear. Okay, flip a coin. Personally, I don't mind highway in a 40 series as much as a lot of folks, but then I'm not like most folks :-)

But here's my advice: Your a good driver and that counts a lot more than 33s versus 35s as far as getting through the trail.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

What about finding some 1" spacers to get the suspension up a bit(front and rear), make some bump stops if you need to control some rub. Buy the 35's you want and call it good for now. As for the ride out, camp mostly, Fuel if looking at 3.50/ gal and 100 gal each way with a full tank at the begining, that is like 900 give or take. Split between you and your passenger. Food is food no matter if you are home or on the road. This get the bill down a bit. Tires are the big dollar ticket here. You need tires no matter what(difference between the 33 and 35 is not that much, heck I have a 35 mtr for a spare if you need, not mounted with some tread left), and Ben is doing the swap on the gears(hope so).
Any how it does not have to be as big a bill as you are presenting. I am sure some other ideas are out there with some other folks. Some guys on mud run 35's with a 2.5 inch lift( and report no rubbing). It can be possiable. Good luck with this.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Fied it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
What about finding some 1" spacers to get the suspension up a bit(front and rear), make some bump stops if you need to control some rub. Buy the 35's you want and call it good for now. As for the ride out, camp mostly, Fuel if looking at 3.50/ gal and 100 gal each way with a full tank at the begining, that is like 900 give or take. Split between you and your passenger. Food is food no matter if you are home or on the road. This get the bill down a bit. Tires are the big dollar ticket here. You need tires no matter what(difference between the 33 and 35 is not that much, heck I have a 35 mtr for a spare if you need, not mounted with some tread left), and Ben is doing the swap on the gears(hope so).
Any how it does not have to be as big a bill as you are presenting. I am sure some other ideas are out there with some other folks. Some guys on mud run 35's with a 2.5 inch lift( and report no rubbing). It can be possiable.

Why run 6 cylinders when 5 will get you most of the way there. I will use Black FPIG and not waste money on expensive gaskets to save you some dollars. I well sell your head and used one off of Oleg's wrecks and that will buy one tire. Toyota over engineered these engines and you don't need all these parts and can sell them. Lots of options to reduce cost.

Good luck with this.

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did the Rubicon Trail in 1988(?) in a lifted IFS Toyota pickup with 33" tires and did just fine.

I understand the $$ part. After all I've thrown at my FJ40 (and I'm still throwing), I'd love to split costs with someone. I am seriously considering flat towing my 40 with my 80. Ride with me. Split the fuel and lodging costs with me an share the driving. It'll be a blast! I figure if my 40 craps out at least I have a way to get it home.

Heck, I'd even entertain 2 or 3 passengers. That would really lower the cost.

Let me know.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. I will look into doing the lift on the cheap. As I mentioned, I already have some 1.5" spacers for the front. Anyone know what I can use to space the back? Or should I just buy some J springs and hope that they get me level?

I'm still not certain if that means I can afford to go.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.