Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Talked with a Ranger yesterday...

Up at lefthand Canyone yesterday for a little recreational plinking... and I talked with a few forrest rangers and talked about the Carnage trail and the new rock crawling course. It was fun to see their faces smile and light up when I told them I was a part of RS...

We seem to have created a good relationship with them, thank you Bill and so many of the other fellas and gals for all your hard work, it is paying off!

:

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Was it Brian by chance?
Thanks for the kind words. I have done relatively little, it is the club that has risen to the occasion.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is Brian in his late 30's blond hair, kinda long and a goatee? Two ladies were there as well. One had a knee brace.

Nice group, seemed like great folks!

Drew

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Sounds like Brian to me, super nice fella he is.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

And I believe Cat may be in a knee brace. Dark short hair, glasses, mid 30s.

They are nice folks. I have been able to get them a tad 'exercised', but then, I have that talent.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Trail Ready

Great work guys, Any other info on the new trail?? sounds sweet!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

And now a shooting area up there is closed:

Canyon area closed to shooting amid 'near misses'
By Howard Pankratz
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 03/28/2008 05:20:57 PM MDT

Part of Lefthand Canyon near Boulder has been closed to recreational shooting because the irresponsible discharge of firearms has endangered people using an off-highway road nearby, U.S. Forest officials said.

The 30-acre site known as the "Slot Canyon area" is adjacent to Lefthand Canyon Drive at mile post 4.5, according to District Ranger Christine Walsh.

She said people using the area have been subject to numerous "near misses" and that vandalism and other forms of boisterous behavior have resulted in the area's closing to recreational shooters.

"This is a last resort," said Walsh. "If we don't do something immediately, someone will get hurt. We are closing the smallest area possible to prevent an injury and provide for public safety."

Walsh said that there were five documented "near misses" in recent years where U.S. Forest Service employees were almost shot. The two most recent incidents occurred last summer and one late last month. She said the Forest Service received at least 10 complaints from private citizens using the area that they were almost hit by bullets.

The area is near the junction of five roads — known as "Five Points" — which makes the careless discharge of weapons that much more dangerous.

Walsh said people with firearms have shot over a natural backstop, causing bullets to cross the heavily used off-highway road above the shooting area. In addition, Forest Service signs in the area have been used for target practice.

The signs, she noted, say: "Shoot at the targets, not into the trees."

Walsh said this all has occurred despite increased patrols of the canyon.

A "huge problem," said Walsh, also is the presence of "toxic trash" in the now closed area.

People bring in computers, water heaters and other items to use as targets. After they shoot them up, they leave them there, resulting in a toxic mess, she said.

The district ranger said the danger to people by the haphazard discharge of weapons is compounded by the fact that about 20,000 people live within the Forest Service boundaries on private land. And there are about 2,000 miles of Forest Service boundaries in the district with subdivisions just on the other side.

Walsh stressed that recreational shooting is something that should be permitted on U.S. Forest Service land. She is trying to find areas where that activity can take place, noting that with development along the Front Range, many gun clubs have had to close their doors.

Kent Ingram, past president of the Colorado Wildlife Federation and a member of Front Range Shooting Partners, said that although recreational shooting is a legitimate use of public land, the closure of the area is "necessary and regrettable."

"This action reinforces the need for us to work hard to provide safe and sustainable recreational shooting areas along the Front Range," Ingram said.

The closure is immediate, taking affect today.

Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or hpankratz@denverpost.com
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Intereseting, I was shooting there on Wednesday and the rangers didn't comment on any of this, there was an area that is now closed to shooting but not the section you have to drive through to get onto Carnage Canyon.

That place was a MESS though

Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Intereseting, I was shooting there on Wednesday and the rangers didn't comment on any of this, there was an area that is now closed to shooting but not the section you have to drive through to get onto Carnage Canyon.

That place was a MESS though
I am not one to preach but you won't find any evidence where I shoot. At least no brass or shells laying around, no trash, and zero damage to the area. We can't police everyone but make for damn sure you police yourself and those in your group.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Big article in this morning's paper about the closure. Can't argue with the reasoning - that area is a complete mess.