Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Wheel Bearing Packing Party

I am making this a new thread because, if you're like me your eyes glaze over stickies and go to what's actually new.

I have contacted all participants by phone except Hants and Lief. After numerous phone messages left plus emails, I will assume you guys aren't coming. I am placing the parts order tomorrow. I originally planned to place it Tuesday but still hadn't heard back from a number of participants at that time. Later Tuesday evening I did, and have a list made out and it is checked twice. I have been in phone contact with most of you since then. All members (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to come out and give encouraging or sarcastic words. It's all good.

Here's the deal. Christo is cool with us doing our normal front axle service. We will go in and clean and repack knuckles, birfields, replace seals as we normally do. We have 4 of us who aren't working on our own rigs who will help mentor. Bring your own tools, rags and jack stands. With only 2 lifts and only room for 4 rigs inside, some will be working outside (pray for good weather) and we will all help out. We WILL leave his shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in!

The club will buy pizza and sodas, if you want adult beverages, bring them yourself. Be sure to bring plenty of rags, pans for your fluids, tools (Christo has air but bring your own air tools), gloves, manuals. I will bring manuals, gloves and tools.

We will meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two. Anyone who will be cleaning parts in Christo's parts sink will be expected to make a donation to replenish his solvent, it costs him $180 for replacement of solvent. It also costs him $1 per gallon of fluids to recycle it, so whoever is doing fluids, please plan on making that donation. I will order in new gaskets for drain plugs for all of you who are replacing diff/tranny/t-case fluids.

I will probably pick up the parts order on Wednesday or Thursday and put it on my own CC. As always, I will itemize it for participants and expect reimbursement at the event when the parts are delivered.

Happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for doing this Jeff
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Thanks for working on this, Jeff!

I've been out of town for two weeks. Just returned about 30 minutes ago.

I am planning on being at the event, but I will NOT be packing my bearings. No need to order any parts for me.

See y'all Saturday!

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks again Jeff for doing all the organizing!

I'm going to buy a Slee headlight and auxilliary light harness and time permitting I'll install it (Christo - I'll call the shop this week). Tonight I put new pigtails onto the lights I bought from Jon last week. Tomorrow I'l drill and mount em.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was planning on attending. Kim's B-Day, but we only have evening plans so it shouldn't conflict.

I wanted to replace a pinion seal and nut on my front axle and get some help with a valve adjust if possible. The only parts I can think of needing is maybe new plugs if I do a tune-up. I already have the pinion seal and nut.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I was planning on attending. Kim's B-Day, but we only have evening plans so it shouldn't conflict.

I wanted to replace a pinion seal and nut on my front axle and get some help with a valve adjust if possible. The only parts I can think of needing is maybe new plugs if I do a tune-up. I already have the pinion seal and nut.

And a valve cover gasket and seals? Perfect time for a new PCV valve too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
And a valve cover gasket and seals? Perfect time for a new PCV valve too!
good thought. my 40 is a '73 but it's a '77 2F if that makes a difference for ordering parts.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
Thanks for working on this, Jeff!

I've been out of town for two weeks. Just returned about 30 minutes ago.

I am planning on being at the event, but I will NOT be packing my bearings. No need to order any parts for me.

See y'all Saturday!
Thanks Hants, I've been trying to reach you by phone all week. You were down for drain/refill fluids, right?

We will ask that everyone who drains fluids to Christo's system make a slight extra donation - reportedly he has to PAY $1 per gallon just to turn in fluids for recycling. There's something wrong with the system! (Not Christo's, just that someone should have to pay to donate something that costs $100/BBL to extract from the ground, prior to refining!)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
good thought. my 40 is a '73 but it's a '77 2F if that makes a difference for ordering parts.
Parts are already ordered, but I have a spare OEM valve cover gasket and OEM plugs. Let me know if you need them!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm really bummed that I can't make this I'll be thinking of all of you having fun with grease and gear oil to your elbows while I sit miserably in a crappy flight to Moscow (for work)