Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Rising Sun member

Default More springs and shackles

After reading Whatley's article in the May/June '06 TT, I have been plotting and planning and the time has finally come to replace my shackles and I thought I would put some of those ideas to good use. I still have to replace my rear springs, but oh well, that'll come...

Check out what I was up against: and BTW when I was taking the front shackles off one of them broke. Also when I had new exhaust put on a couple summers ago I noticed one of my shackles was broken while it was up on the lift - without asking me the guy replaced it and tried to charge me for it - I'm glad I didn't pay him for it - what he used wasn't even a rectangular piece of steel and it wasn't drilled straight. But at any rate the front spring pins were small enough diameter that they egged out the bushings as you see - and that's the other thing, when he "replaced" the shackle plate we would have had to see that they were toast but he failed to mention that to me

Anyway needless to say my truck rides a lot better and I'm sure happy with the 3/8" plate and the 5/8" bolts (tacked to the side plates to prevent them from rotating) holding it all together. Thanks again to John Henley for schooling me in the ways of metal working and helping me get this project done!
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Must feel good to have that junk off of there.. nice work, Matt.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

WOW!

Glad you caught it, before it caught you!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Rising Sun member

Oh yeah and the front spring pins scared me, as the bushings are about 5/8" diameter ID, and the pins were like 7/16" OD (part of the reason they wallered out so bad I suppose)
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Hmmm..... tacking the bolts in place... hadn't heard of that. Can you describe the benefit?

'85 SR5 Rustbucket........ a work in progress. I always have something to do!!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cool. What's the "new" look like?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskey View Post
Hmmm..... tacking the bolts in place... hadn't heard of that. Can you describe the benefit?
See the bolts and side plates, how they are worn down? Tacking the bolts to the side plates prevents them from rotating against each other and forces the bolts to rotate inside the bushings, as they are designed to do. The OEM configuration is a splined shoulder bolt with matching splines in the side plates, I'm pretty sure this is the next best thing There is a greater amount of surface area between the bolt and the bushing than there is between the bolt and the side plate, so the pressure is greatly reduced. And with no more metal-to-metal contact, there is no more rattling coming from my front end when I hit bumps

And Chris those bushings worked great, do you have any more you would like to get rid of, or may I ask where you got them so I can get some more? I'll try to get pictures soon - I would like to get the "new" rear springs on first, but am having trouble getting the u-bolts to break free. Where do I get new u-bolts BTW? I suppose Toyota still has them, but are there others?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just cut the ubolts off with a grinding wheel. I bought a set of new ones from CCOT awhile back. I have some extra bushings too if you need them. Let me know and I can bring them to the meeting.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

When we replaced the bushings I was looking for u-bolts just in case. They have various sizes at the major parts stores, but only one of them had the right size and then they only had one pair. I expect that if you called and ordered they would have not trouble getting them in. I looked up the size on MUD. I since have picked up a couple of used u-bolts. I can bring them to the meeting Wednesday, you are welcome to them.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun member

What about nuts? Hey Martin and Ricardo, I will take you up on that. Thanks.