Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Is it possible to "fry" your ammeter gauge?

So last weekend I was troubleshooting my faulty fuel gauge and pulled the instrument cluster out of my 40. The good news is that I found a short in the fuel gauge wiring and I'm pretty sure its fixed. The bad news is that I touched the hot lead on my ammeter gauge to the dash panel for a second or two, and (after a spark shower and some electrical smoke) now I think that gauge is not working. It used to be "lively", and bounce around when the truck was running. Now it just sits there and never moves.

I couldn't see anything obviously damaged, but then again, I don't remember what it looked like before "the incident."
Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun member

I don't think shorting out the hot lead would fry the gauge, as the power should come straight from the battery to the hot lead. I can't remember if there's a fuse (I don't think so), but you might have melted some of the wiring. Try and trace it back to the battery, or put an ohmeter on it, to check it. Mine usually jumps around when I first start the truck as the battery is being charged, but after a while it gets to the point where it doesn't move much. A quick way to check is to watch it (engine off) when you turn the headlights on and off - it should jump back and forth.

Oh and disconnect your battery next time you pull the gauge cluster
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I know - but there was a lot of trial and error, and I guess I forgot one time to disconnect the battery

Last edited by Jacket; 04-02-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

The ammeter in your FJ40 is really just a voltmeter in parallel with a shunt resistor. If you know the exact value of the resistor, then the voltage across it is the current. Remember Ohm's Law, V=I*R => I=V/R. IOW, 15A produces 15V across a 1 ohm resistor, 40A is 20V across a 0.5 ohm resistor, 10A is 1V across a 0.1 ohm resistor, etc.

Attachment 8505

What that means is shorting the (+) side of the ammeter to ground just completely bypasses the ammeter and shunt. Most likely you melted wires and the reason your meter isn't working is a bad wire someplace. Like Subzali says, trace the wiring I bet you find one that is melted or burned up.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Figures.... I had so much fun tracing the wires for my fuel gauge, why not do it again?

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Figures.... I had so much fun tracing the wires for my fuel gauge, why not do it again?

Thanks for the info.
It could be worse.

First, it's much simpler under the dash and hood on your 40 than the Tacoma. Second, well, it'll be the one that's black and charred...

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

When I burnt my CJ5 to the ground on Holy Cross, I shorted my ammeter

If you look on the high lift you can see the entire electrical system that had to be replaced. I am sure glad I brought the spool of red wire with me.

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Rising Sun member

Who's Cruiser is that behind you? IIRC you sold the CJ right after you got back, and then came over from the darkside not too long after right?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Nice chrome bumper there, Root.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun member

That's OEM on J**Ps, that's why the Cruiser gods degraded them from off the factory floor. By the time AMC caught on it was too late...