Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Lifted

Default High school grad looking for internship

(this is a cross post from CO4x4's employment section, figured i'd try here as well. if this sort of thing isn't correct for this forum, mods please move, delete, or hire him, thanks!)

My 19 year old son (Preston Hovey) is graduating from Fairview High this year, and will then go onto a year at Front Range community college and then CSU.

His long term goal is to obtain a mechanical engineering degree and eventually run his own fabrication shop, to this end we are attempting to be as supportive as possible.

Following graduation he would very much like to begin getting some experience working in a metal fabrication shop specializing in any discipline of on or off road motorsports and fabrication (4x4's, crawlers, diesel trucks, jeeps, race cars, street cars, engine swaps, etc etc etc).

He will be available to work full time for the summer and part to full time when classes start, obviously he would need a mannager who is supportive of education and willing to provide schedule flexibility for classes.

As long as he is working in a discipline that is supportive of his long term goals, we are providing financial support and he really has no bills, so this could be a an unpaid internship for the right shop. Obviously it would be better if he was paid something as he would like to start building his own crawler and... well... everybody likes a little spending money and obviously if he was paid something this would be very helpful.

He is a reasonably competent mechanic and his experience is above average for his age, he has been entirely in charge of his own auto repairs on his Ford Focus and has done some fairly intensive projects such as a power steering rack replacement and several other jobs which he has not only executed on his own, but performed with very little assistance from me. He has also provided me significant assistance on projects such as glow plugs and clutch on my powerstroke and the Land Cruiser axle swap on my 1950 Willys.

At school Preston has taken several years of manual and CAD drafting, focused on both mechanical engineering and architecture and has done projects such as developing a model of a KOH car in Solidworks. He also has experience with Revit, AutoCAD and Inventor.

At home I have exposed him to most fabrication and mechanics tools, including most types of cutting and grinding, Plasma Cutting, MIG welding and TIG welding.

As part of a senior project he is doing an independent study where his learning to TIG weld, this is being oversaw by the Math department head at Fairview and primarily instructed by me. He has gotten good with mild steel, I have introduced him to some aluminum and we will soon transition to stainless steel.

He is pretty swamped right now... but we hope to finish the independent study with him fabricating his own stainless steel replacement exhaust for his car.

Dad is a German neat freak, so he's very well ingrained to the necessity of a neat and orderly shop, sweeping skills include both large and small brooms as well as the air compressor and dust pans lol.

Last summer he worked full time on a masonry crew, he worked his freekin arse off. I was impressed. He has been invited back to work full time for those guys, but if he's going to work that dang hard for somebody, we would all rather it be directed towards his long term interests.

Okay, so I posted this for him just because i'm involved in the forums more, but if this is of any interest you can contact him directly, copy me if you like.

Thanks for the consideration!

Me: Tim M Hovey
euroford@gmail.com

Him: Preston Hovey
phovey8@gmail.com
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Does it have to be so specifically in vehicle fab? Knowing AutoCAD and Revit are valuable skills and I /might/ know of something but it wouldn't be super closely related to mech eng.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

I saw a ways back Slee had some kind of an opening? I think Christo posted up.

Cool he's going this route. I started working cleaning unrinals and being coffee maker in a shop at the age of 16. I worked my way up to pretty complicated tube work and fabrication by the time I hit college where I did mechanical engineering. What I learned at that semi-apprenticeship was pretty awesome. I wish i had a shop to invite him into
82 FJ40
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Lifted

Dave, I think he would be interested in doing some drafting/modeling work, but not full time, and i think he really wants to concentrate on honing some practical skills while he's young.

Marco, catching a lead at a shop like Slee would have him beyond stoked, i'll have to go search around and see if i can find that. really nice of you to say you'd work with him, i know pursuing this sort of interest can be a long and difficult process, but i'm very supportive.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.