Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Camping Ideas with Fishing?

Carolyn and I are looking to get out this weekend for some camping, and try to get a little fishing in as well. Neither of us has fished in years, so we don't have any ideas where might be nice.

We're looking for something with the Argentine feel, away from the campground scene...but with some fishing waters near, or a fishing stream at camp.

Any ideas from the club would be helpful. We would like to stay fairly close to the metro area, as we would be leaving Wednesday afternoon, and would still like a little daylight to set up camp.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Look in the Kremmling area unless you want the high mounting scenery. There you have access to the upper Colorado and Blue Rivers with not much tourist traffic.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Camp Dick up on the peak to peak sits on a stream and if you wheel middle St Vrain you come to a nice mountain stream and meadow, no idea if there's good fishing in those waters though.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 PM

the wife and i went to the other side of guanella pass over the 4th, mile or two past the last switch back or about 7 miles from grant. left on wed about 3pm was setting up camp around 4:30. this is dispersed camping, started to get filled up by thursday night into friday, we left sat morning. ill try to post some pics. there is a creek close to camp, kind of hard to fish but, opens up down by ganeva creek 2 miles down toward grant. our first time there, sorry about the long post and the spelling.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

What Drew (Rezarf) said. I was just up there this weekend. The creek is still a little high for fishing, just like everything else in Colorado right now. I still managed to catch some nice brookies without too much effort.

The campground is... A campground. But if you drive to the West end of the campground you come to a 4x4 trail that is passable in a stock Tacoma but maybe a lil stressful in a rig like that. You can camp anywhere (within reason) once you are a mile past the campground.
KEŘITH
Old 07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

My camping rig is a little more primitive than that...a 1943 T3 army trailer pulled by my FJ40. Still in the process of painting, and hammering some dents out. It is mechanically sound, with all components rebuilt, restored, or replaced. I can't let summer pass us by without pulling my trailer along even if it is still a little on the ugly side...

My set up...
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yankee Doodle lake? It takes an hour to pull a trailer up there from Rollinsville, but there's little fish in that pond. Plus if you get bored fishin' you can run JC!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Carolyn and I decided to just forgo fishing and head back to Argentine. It really is one of our favorite places to camp. We lost a leaf out of our rear right pack, and really ended up with a mess. I'll post on a new thread those adventures...With the problems we experienced this weekend, it was at least comforting to be in familiar territory.

On a side note...we did a little trail clean-up as we spent a lot of hiking time this weekend. I will add the number of morons that had to be up there over the 4th of July weekend must have been staggering. Between our camp, and the one other we walked to, we brought home two extra trash bags full of garbage we didn't produce. The condition of the firepits we looked at were filled with garbage, as well as some incinerated propane tanks

It takes all kinds, I guess, just frustrating to see such disregard for the beauty we all try to escape to when we camp.