Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Default Advice / Help needed

Folks, I have a very small area in my house that needs the wood floors refinished. Has anyone done floor refinishing. I really don't want to pay a ton for it and I'm afraid it won't be worth someone's time plus I need it done very soon. Does anyone have the expertise and would provide me advice? Quick sand? There are 2 areas that haven't seen daylight in a long time that doesn't match the other main area. If you can help I would compensate you cash plus

Thanks in Advance!

"Tractor in a Tux"

What Did the Five Fingers Say to the Face.....
Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

If it's a small job, pull the baseboards, rent a floor sander, keep it moving all the time & use light grit. Once sanded l, use tack cloth to make sure you've got all dust up & refinish with your choice of stain, etc...

Truth be told, it feels intimidating, but is not a complex process at all. Keep the sander moving so that you don't create a low spot in the floor.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

You can rent a sander at home depot. Its not very hard to do. Dont get the roughest sand paper it will scratch the floor very easy. I cant remember what grit I would start with. But you dont need the real rough stuff unless your refinishing a barn floor. Dont hold the sander in one spot. After you sand the floor and clean it, wipe it with mineral spirits on a sheep cloth a few times. You can use poly for a clear finish or use stain. They have a smaller sander thats for corners and tighter spots if your area is really small you may only need the small sander.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did a small room, maybe 12' x 12'? at our old house. it was all night sanding with a rented sander from the 'depot. worked but it was a lot of work and i pushed it to be done in the 24hr window..

I'd probably hire somebody if it were bigger than that. It was my limit of time vs. effort vs. reward. Looked OK when i was done, it matched the other floors.
82 FJ40
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Don't be afraid to mix stains to stain it to the color you like, before varnishing. If you use tinted varnish (stain and varnish all in one) it can be harder to change the color later.