Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cooler conundrum

Ok, I'm tired of buying these crappy coolers that need to be replaced every year or 2 depending on usage. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for one of the hi end coolers. Looking at Yeti and Pelican, leaning toward the Pelican due to past experience with their products. These have been for storage but have been impeccable quality. Anyone have experience with both of these coolers? What do you think?
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
1970 FJ40 - trail rig ARB's front and back.
1995 4Runner MB Diesel conv.
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)
2004 GX470 Way Bad, Lifted and moded just right...

Trinidad, CO
Old 06-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFJ View Post
Ok, I'm tired of buying these crappy coolers that need to be replaced every year or 2 depending on usage. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for one of the hi end coolers. Looking at Yetti and Pelican, leaning toward the Pelican due to past experience with their products. These have been for storage but have been impeccable quality. Anyone have experience with both of these coolers? What do you think?
I have a yet, a 32 I think? It is the size of a large cooler, but really holds about enough for 2 people for a camping trip if you really cram it in there. Keeps things ice cold but for the price I would rather buy something with more space and throw some extra ice packs in there. YMMV.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
I have a yet, a 32 I think? It is the size of a large cooler, but really holds about enough for 2 people for a camping trip if you really cram it in there. Keeps things ice cold but for the price I would rather buy something with more space and throw some extra ice packs in there. YMMV.
Thanks, I am looking at the 95qt. So I hope space will not be an issue..
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)

Trinidad, CO
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

I know you didn't ask, but I'll ask this anyway. Why spend the kind of money a Yeti costs for car camping? You're getting closer to fridge kind of money. At least a significant chunk of one anyway.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cooler conundrum

Great test/review video of the "big names." Lot of buddies back in Florida who are fishing guides swear by Yeti, but a few have been converted to Pelican, Engel, and others based purely off performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Not listed in the video are the Ozark Trail coolers at wal-mart. There's a cult following for these, and they seem to almost never be in stock. There's a huge thread (below) on expedition portal regarding them and their tests vs. Yeti. I just stumbled across them and will pick up a 52 next time one comes in stock. Price is fantastic for the money, and tons of guys in extreme conditions having huge success with them.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ooler-any-good

But let's not kid ourselves - if the FiancÚ told me tomorrow she'd buy me "any" cooler for a birthday or something, it would be a tan Yeti 45...

I'm a sucker for good marketing...
TLCA #23252

'95 FZJ80 - Poverty Pack Princess, begging to be built...
'86 4Runner - SAS, locked, lifted, armored, etc etc. SOLD to DouglasVB
'94 FZJ80 - ARB Deluxe front, Kaymar tire carrier rear, Ironman lift, Spartan locker, working 'D' light ----- SOLD
'96 FZJ80 - Bone stock and way too pretty ---- SOLD
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend View Post
Great test/review video of the "big names." Lot of buddies back in Florida who are fishing guides swear by Yeti, but a few have been converted to Pelican, Engel, and others based purely off performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Not listed in the video are the Ozark Trail coolers at wal-mart. There's a cult following for these, and they seem to almost never be in stock. There's a huge thread (below) on expedition portal regarding them and their tests vs. Yeti. I just stumbled across them and will pick up a 52 next time one comes in stock. Price is fantastic for the money, and tons of guys in extreme conditions having huge success with them.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ooler-any-good

But let's not kid ourselves - if the FiancÚ told me tomorrow she'd buy me "any" cooler for a birthday or something, it would be a tan Yeti 45...

I'm a sucker for good marketing...
Wow, thanks for the links, looks like the Pelican is killing the Yeti in the side by side comparison.
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)

Trinidad, CO
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

If your willing to lay down for a Yeti buy a fridge. Seriously. Look at the intelB from Equipt.

Otherwise I keep getting spammed from this company and I'm thinking about ordering one just for parties and such. Yeti knock off. https://www.rticcoolers.com
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

We looked into carrying Bison Coolers & RTIC. Both are very similar to Yeti but much more affordable. In the end... I'm with Corbet, Coolers are a thing of the past!

Travis Hurley
www.outerlimitsupply.com
1964 FJ40- Relocated to Oregon San Diego, enjoy it Dad
1988 4Runner
http://www.outerlimitsupply.com
Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Who still uses ice? is it 1880?! Buy a fridge, a dual battery set up and never look back! Just think of it, no more beers floating in baby chicken fetus rancid meat infected water!.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Depends on what you do with them. If you guys love your Fridges so much, I'll let you load it into my raft, and we'll leave the Yeti at home. We'll see how well it works.

But seriously, like everyone else says, if you are only looking at car camping, a fridge is a really good option. But if you are looking to use it in other scenarios too, a Yeti is expensive, but spectacular. I've owned mine for like 12 years or more, and we store it outside on the deck due to lack of space. It is just like new, even after all that UV. I think some of the newer knockoffs are probably just as good, but have no real experience with them to say one way or another. But they look extremely similar for a lot less money