Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:57 PM
PhatFJ's Avatar
PhatFJ PhatFJ is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trinidad, CO
Posts: 613
Default Cooler conundrum

Ok, I'm tired of buying these crappy coolers that need to be replaced every year or 2 depending on usage. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for one of the hi end coolers. Looking at Yeti and Pelican, leaning toward the Pelican due to past experience with their products. These have been for storage but have been impeccable quality. Anyone have experience with both of these coolers? What do you think?
__________________
KD0GEG
1975 FJ40 Restored, (sold) back to Japan
1972 FJ40 project X2
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
1970 FJ40 - trail rig ARB's front and back.
1995 4Runner MB Diesel conv.
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)
2004 GX470 Way Bad, Lifted and moded just right...


Trinidad, CO
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:58 PM
akingf5371's Avatar
akingf5371 akingf5371 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFJ View Post
Ok, I'm tired of buying these crappy coolers that need to be replaced every year or 2 depending on usage. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for one of the hi end coolers. Looking at Yetti and Pelican, leaning toward the Pelican due to past experience with their products. These have been for storage but have been impeccable quality. Anyone have experience with both of these coolers? What do you think?
I have a yet, a 32 I think? It is the size of a large cooler, but really holds about enough for 2 people for a camping trip if you really cram it in there. Keeps things ice cold but for the price I would rather buy something with more space and throw some extra ice packs in there. YMMV.
__________________
Adam Farmer

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
PhatFJ's Avatar
PhatFJ PhatFJ is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trinidad, CO
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
I have a yet, a 32 I think? It is the size of a large cooler, but really holds about enough for 2 people for a camping trip if you really cram it in there. Keeps things ice cold but for the price I would rather buy something with more space and throw some extra ice packs in there. YMMV.
Thanks, I am looking at the 95qt. So I hope space will not be an issue..
__________________
KD0GEG
1975 FJ40 Restored, (sold) back to Japan
1972 FJ40 project X2
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
1970 FJ40 - trail rig ARB's front and back.
1995 4Runner MB Diesel conv.
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)
2004 GX470 Way Bad, Lifted and moded just right...


Trinidad, CO
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 7,617
Default

I know you didn't ask, but I'll ask this anyway. Why spend the kind of money a Yeti costs for car camping? You're getting closer to fridge kind of money. At least a significant chunk of one anyway.
__________________
'91 Pickup - Imelda / '08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'98 Rhygin Juke SS / '12 Gunnar Rockhound 29 / '16 REEB Dikyelous

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Townsend's Avatar
Townsend Townsend is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 498
Default Cooler conundrum

Great test/review video of the "big names." Lot of buddies back in Florida who are fishing guides swear by Yeti, but a few have been converted to Pelican, Engel, and others based purely off performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Not listed in the video are the Ozark Trail coolers at wal-mart. There's a cult following for these, and they seem to almost never be in stock. There's a huge thread (below) on expedition portal regarding them and their tests vs. Yeti. I just stumbled across them and will pick up a 52 next time one comes in stock. Price is fantastic for the money, and tons of guys in extreme conditions having huge success with them.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ooler-any-good

But let's not kid ourselves - if the FiancÚ told me tomorrow she'd buy me "any" cooler for a birthday or something, it would be a tan Yeti 45...

I'm a sucker for good marketing...
__________________
Alex Townsend - clueless, but strong listener.
TLCA #23252

'95 FZJ80 - Poverty Pack Princess, begging to be built...
'86 4Runner - SAS, locked, lifted, armored, etc etc. SOLD to DouglasVB
'94 FZJ80 - ARB Deluxe front, Kaymar tire carrier rear, Ironman lift, Spartan locker, working 'D' light ----- SOLD
'96 FZJ80 - Bone stock and way too pretty ---- SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
PhatFJ's Avatar
PhatFJ PhatFJ is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trinidad, CO
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend View Post
Great test/review video of the "big names." Lot of buddies back in Florida who are fishing guides swear by Yeti, but a few have been converted to Pelican, Engel, and others based purely off performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Not listed in the video are the Ozark Trail coolers at wal-mart. There's a cult following for these, and they seem to almost never be in stock. There's a huge thread (below) on expedition portal regarding them and their tests vs. Yeti. I just stumbled across them and will pick up a 52 next time one comes in stock. Price is fantastic for the money, and tons of guys in extreme conditions having huge success with them.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ooler-any-good

But let's not kid ourselves - if the FiancÚ told me tomorrow she'd buy me "any" cooler for a birthday or something, it would be a tan Yeti 45...

I'm a sucker for good marketing...
Wow, thanks for the links, looks like the Pelican is killing the Yeti in the side by side comparison.
__________________
KD0GEG
1975 FJ40 Restored, (sold) back to Japan
1972 FJ40 project X2
1989 FJ62
1985 FJ60
1970 FJ40 - trail rig ARB's front and back.
1995 4Runner MB Diesel conv.
2000 4runner
2007 FJC BUILT (Sold)
2004 GX470 Way Bad, Lifted and moded just right...


Trinidad, CO
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Corbet's Avatar
Corbet Corbet is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 4,380
Default

If your willing to lay down for a Yeti buy a fridge. Seriously. Look at the intelB from Equipt.

Otherwise I keep getting spammed from this company and I'm thinking about ordering one just for parties and such. Yeti knock off. https://www.rticcoolers.com
__________________
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 PM
baja1d's Avatar
baja1d baja1d is online now
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,098
Default

We looked into carrying Bison Coolers & RTIC. Both are very similar to Yeti but much more affordable. In the end... I'm with Corbet, Coolers are a thing of the past!


Travis Hurley
www.outerlimitsupply.com
__________________
Travis
TLCA#: 22078
1994 FJ80
1964 FJ40- Relocated to Oregon San Diego, enjoy it Dad
1988 4Runner
http://www.outerlimitsupply.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is online now
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ames
Posts: 6,169
Default

Who still uses ice? is it 1880?! Buy a fridge, a dual battery set up and never look back! Just think of it, no more beers floating in baby chicken fetus rancid meat infected water!.
__________________
--Martin

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM
gr8fulabe's Avatar
gr8fulabe gr8fulabe is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boulder Canyon
Posts: 588
Default

Depends on what you do with them. If you guys love your Fridges so much, I'll let you load it into my raft, and we'll leave the Yeti at home. We'll see how well it works.

But seriously, like everyone else says, if you are only looking at car camping, a fridge is a really good option. But if you are looking to use it in other scenarios too, a Yeti is expensive, but spectacular. I've owned mine for like 12 years or more, and we store it outside on the deck due to lack of space. It is just like new, even after all that UV. I think some of the newer knockoffs are probably just as good, but have no real experience with them to say one way or another. But they look extremely similar for a lot less money
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.