Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Rock Stacker

Default New member new FJ40

Hello all, New member here and new to the land cruiser world. Havent had one of these before so just learning as much as I can about them now. Picked this 72 FJ40 up from a buddy and not sure what I am going to do with it at this moment. My original intention was to build it and wheel it. Its not in perfect condition by any stretch but not horrible either. It does have some rust on it and have found some areas that have bondo. The tops of the fenders are starting to crack with the bondo and the interior floor has all been replaced with diamond plate. Who ever did the diamond plate did a really nice job with it.The drive train is all stock with the straight 6 and the 3 speed tranny. Axles look all stock with the drum brakes all around. Motor runs nice and sounds good. Seems like it drives ok but the brakes do pull to the left pretty hard. Im sure they need adjusted.

Bringing it home

Diamond Plate inside on all the floors. Looks like they did a good job with it and doesnt look like hack job.

Someone cut in a sunroof in the top and didnt do a very good job. Its just a piece of Plexiglas glued to the top. As you can see it has weakened to top and it is sagging now. The entire top might need to be replaced.

So thats the condition of it. What would you all do with it. Is it in to good a shape to wheel it hard or does it even matter since it has had some changes to it already with the floor, hardtop and other things. Some of my ideas would involve cutting sheet metal and modifying it but dont want to make a bad decision since these are getting harder to find. Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome to land cruiser world! And to the forum.
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

If the frame is strong, modify and wheel it. Sounds like that's what you got it for anyway and to restore it could break the bank.

1988 FJ62 "Burt," built by amateurs with a BFH and duct tape; SOA, stretched, 5.29 gears, ARB locked front, lockrite rear, chromoly shafts/hubs, rear disk brakes, transfer case e-brake, 6-shooters, custom protection/rear bumper, modified tacoma ARB front bumper, TR beadlocks w/ 39's, and some other junk.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
So thats the condition of it. What would you all do with it. Is it in to good a shape to wheel it hard or does it even matter since it has had some changes to it already with the floor, hardtop and other things. Some of my ideas would involve cutting sheet metal and modifying it but dont want to make a bad decision since these are getting harder to find. Thoughts?
Since it has a diamond plate tub, I wouldn't worry about cutting it up and do what you want
TLCA#4180
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Lifted

'72 had drum brakes all around (unless someone modified it), so the pulling is probably due to frozen brake piston(s). Search the IH8MUD forum - brake adjustments are pretty straightforward.

Welcome!

-Phrog