Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I run what was in them - I've heard the green and red don't play well together so if you change you need to insure you get completely rid of the old...True? Don't know but I'm risk adverse
Toyota Red will mix just fine with green, but you don't want to mix anything but green with your red... bad things will happen. The GM orange stuff with red will turn into a nasty brown sludge. Bleh DAMHIK...

Quote:
Green in the 40, and red (pink to Squishy but I call it red ) in the 80 and LX
Actually there is a difference. Pink is a premix from Toyota that is a 100K mile fluid. It comes in all Toyotas 2005 and newer.

Red is the older non-diluted stuff. It's good too, but my truck seems to like the pink stuff better.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Toyota Red will mix just fine with green, but you don't want to mix anything but green with your red... bad things will happen. The GM orange stuff with red will turn into a nasty brown sludge. Bleh DAMHIK...

Actually there is a difference. Pink is a premix from Toyota that is a 100K mile fluid. It comes in all Toyotas 2005 and newer.

Red is the older non-diluted stuff. It's good too, but my truck seems to like the pink stuff better.
Great info! People on MUD seem to think (or did, haven't kept up on it) that mixing green and red coolant in an 80 series is a sure way to cause a blown HG

So with the pink stuff, you can go 100K between flushes? With no problems? Anyone want to buy a couple of gallons of red that were destined to go in the 80? - Seems like "pink" is the way to go
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Great info! People on MUD seem to think (or did, haven't kept up on it) that mixing green and red coolant in an 80 series is a sure way to cause a blown HG
No offense to a lot of the 80 guys, but they say that if you drive between Pueblo and CO Springs with one eye closed in 60% humidity that the HG will pop for sure. If you know what I mean. The 80 Series HG are maybe not the best, but what does them in prematurely (In my opinion) is our sport. We (the dealer) see maybe 1 HG on cruisers every other year (if that) and we have a decent # of 80's coming through our shop.

Quote:
So with the pink stuff, you can go 100K between flushes? With no problems? Anyone want to buy a couple of gallons of red that were destined to go in the 80? - Seems like "pink" is the way to go
I'm not 100% on the longevity of the pink in older trucks. I'm trying it for the first time in my truck and I think thefatkid is running it in his Runner. The INITIAL service interval on 2005+ is 100k, but after that I think it goes down. not sure why. The "no problems" part I can't say. I haven't had any, but my truck seems to run a little cooler (5 degreesish?).

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

How much is the pink? It's just diluted red?

Quote:
No offense to a lot of the 80 guys, but they say that if you drive between Pueblo and CO Springs with one eye closed in 60% humidity that the HG will pop for sure. If you know what I mean. The 80 Series HG are maybe not the best, but what does them in prematurely (In my opinion) is our sport. We (the dealer) see maybe 1 HG on cruisers every other year (if that) and we have a decent # of 80's coming through our shop.
My good eye? Makes for an exciting drive.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
How much is the pink? It's just diluted red?
No it's a different formula used with really high quality water supposedly and really reduces electrolysis in your engine. Supposedly.

How much? Here's the kicker, more than red and you gotta buy twice as much. I get it at a very reduced price, so I can afford it better, but I don't know if it'd be worth it without my employee discount.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
No offense to a lot of the 80 guys, but they say that if you drive between Pueblo and CO Springs with one eye closed in 60% humidity that the HG will pop for sure. If you know what I mean.

Every time someone quotes an oddity from the Mud 80 guys (like mixing red and green, pop goes the HG), it just makes me shake my head. Admittedly, since my sample selection is far from scientific, I may be completely unaware of other, absolutely solid mechanical advice there.

Um...

But that ain't it...

Quote:
Agreed, but for your Taco, the Toyota Pink is the best. I swithced my 1999 4runner to pink and won't go back.
Name:  Pink Tutu.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  PinkPanties.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  52.4 KB

Better Red than Dead!!!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23
I run what was in them - I've heard the green and red don't play well together so if you change you need to insure you get completely rid of the old...True? Don't know but I'm risk adverse
Toyota Red will mix just fine with green, but you don't want to mix anything but green with your red... bad things will happen. The GM orange stuff with red will turn into a nasty brown sludge. Bleh DAMHIK... (by Squishy)

While agree with The gm or dex cool problem.
I do not agree with the Green and red mix. I did loose a radiator and a hg to this. I do not think I am the only one out there that this has happened to. If the Archives would support going back 5-6 years(on IH8MUD), you would find other that have had this same problem.
So young padiwon learner, what other bright things do you have to say?
I get that you do work for Toyota, and you have very limited experience with the 80 series, I would challenge you to present your data to this forum with regards to HG and what may or may not be the issue.
My guess is that you may be a bit young and youthful in your boost!!
Anyhow did you happen to know that in LA, back in the late 90, dealerships did have a run on HG's for the 80 series/ LX450'S?
Back in the fall of last year, I talked with a Machine shop that had indicated they would see about 1 a week for a considerable period of time(enough they invested in a puck grinding machine instead of buying shims from Toyota).
I would never mix a organic salt coolant with a silicate formula, To me it would be bad business.
Where in print can you show this to me, so my personal learning can be elevated by the written word?
Robbie
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

I agree Robbie, I am young and unlearned, but I am simply skeptical as I have not personally seen evidence of it. In T-Ten we were consistantly told that Toyota designed the Red to mix with Green so that older cars could be converted easily. I did it on my pick-up and have not had HG issues (22r-e, 50,000 miles ago) and I have to say I wasn't complete in removing all of the Green and she still runs strong. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Don't misunderstand me, I am all for learing where I am wrong! I don't claim to be an authority on anything. Your experience is far greater than my own.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Aren't there more than one kind of green? Subaru and Nissan green, IIRC, are silicate free. Silicates v. silicate-free are really the issue, as is OAT technology. That may be contributing to the fog.
I wouldn't mix red and green and as indicated I don't like silicates - due to corrosion (erosion?), and I suspect electrolysis. But I would doubt that this would lead to rapid HG failure unless it was about to go anyway. Erosion and electrolysis are not good for any motor though.
I of course am just a helmet wearing idiot. Not even padiwan level. So take with a grain of salt.
I do know my scoots do NOT like silicates due to corrosion, but things like waterpumps (MUCH lighter duty than automotive) go long before headgaskets. Apples and oranges but interesting to know.

Oooo, and I hate Pennzoil and love Valvoline due to experiences from Vickery Yamaha at Bonneville. There, I have ruined a perfectly good thread and turned it into the DOT (dreaded oil thread).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had my wife pick up 2 gal of red 'Toyota Super Long Life Coolant' the other day, at the usual exorbitant price, and was fairly outraged last night to see that it is 50/50 strength, so I bought half of what I need, and paid a lot for water. This is the silicate-free, everything-free OAT technology stuff for an '08 Sienna van.

Does anyone know if this newest coolant is sold full strength - at the dealer or elsewhere?