Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Raffle Rig 4wd help

Hey guys, I posted this on the main board but Hoped i could catch you guys over here possibly for some help. went for the inaguaral Wheel in the Raffle Rig today and I could not get 4wd to engage, I tried everything and then some. need a redemption ride bad but i wanna get this figured out. Can you help!! Again guys, this ride is awesome and I drive it about everyday for work. It runs great and gets alot of looks. Thanks in advance for the help!!
Josh

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...rail-ride.html
Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

As one of the last two people to address this problem, I can say with some assuredness that the problem lies in the diaphragm cylinder which converts the vacuum from the 4WD solenoids to motion of the shift fork which engages the front axle. We thought we had the problem solved but obviously not. Replacing the diaphragm should cure the problem but there are some tests, noted in the FSM, that pinpoint whether the diaphragm is bad. What is happening is that the vacuum is good to the diaphragm but the diaphragm isn't creating enough movement of the front drive shift fork shaft to engage the front axle. Everything else checks out good, hubs, solenoids etc. and I hope you can fix the problem easily. Sorry we didn't get it right.
Steve Crase
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Rock Stacker

cool. I really appreciate the help! I was underneath there this afternoon when i got home familiarizing myself with things and I think its something i can take apart and fix myself. I am very grateful for the awesome truck i won and this helps me so i can just go straight to the source of the problem. Thanks Steve.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Was the Cruiser FSM included with the other booty that came with the truck? If not, get a Haynes at the very least but the Toyota FSM for about $69 is the best money you can spend for learning maintenance and fixes the truck will require. Avoid the Chilton's - it's toilet paper compared to the other two. Be sure to buy an '89 or '90 Toyota FSM - leave the '88 alone as it is mainly an addendum to the '84 Heavy Duty Land Cruiser manual.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Josh,

We are all SUPER jealous you won the rig - You could always drive out here and let the club wrench on it for you but if you do, be forewarned that Ige may not let you leave with the rig

Steve, great information and thanks for posting that up. Hopefully Josh will be able to fix it easily and start hitting the trails!!
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Rock Stacker

I didnt get a FSM, no, I do have a haynes manual though from when I used to have an early fj80. I was flipping thru it and from the info i saw on mud combined, i think i have enough info to at least get started and try to generate questions from there. If i take the diaphragm completely out will the truck still be operable in 2wd or will this park me for a few days while it gets worked on?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Rock Stacker

and I would love to be out there! my goal is to get out there this year or next to experience some CO 4wheeling.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
I didnt get a FSM, no, I do have a haynes manual though from when I used to have an early fj80. I was flipping thru it and from the info i saw on mud combined, i think i have enough info to at least get started and try to generate questions from there. If i take the diaphragm completely out will the truck still be operable in 2wd or will this park me for a few days while it gets worked on?
Do you have access to a hand vacuum pump? A lot of parts stores have tools like this available for rent/use. Before taking the diaphragm assembly off verify the diaphragm is not holding vacuum. I believe your problem lies in the vacuum solenoid array but you need to first verify the diaphragm is not leaking.
Yes, if you pull the vacuum diaphragm assembly off your truck will be staying parked for a little while. The lever assembly is gear lube bath so you will loose some lube after the assemble is loosened.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

The last time Ige and I checked the truck out, we used a vacuum pump and gauge and were able to confirm that the diaphragm held vacuum in both directions and that both the 4WD solenoids were functioning correctly. We also know that the shift link lever in the diaphragm cylinder is moving and not stuck. The problem appears to be that the diaphragm, with the normal level of approx. 15" of vacuum applied to it occasionally doesn't move the front drive shift fork shaft quite far enough to fully engage the front drive clutch hub sleeve to the front output shaft. With closer to 20" of vacuum the axle engaged every time. That some grinding is heard when the front axle should be engaged is indication that the sleeve isn't moving quite far enough, at least in my mind, with the normal level of vacuum applied. There is a test described in the FSM that measures the stroke of the diaphragm cylinder assembly. I think it should be the first thing to check as it will either indicate the diaphragm is the culprit or that the problem is internal to the t-case.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Rock Stacker

I know that advanced auto parts has a rental program so I will see if they have a vaccum pump. If its not getting it to move all the way with the normal amount of vaccum, but it is engaging some and the sleeve is moving some, how would I either increase the vaccum or get that sleeve to move all the way? will this be something that would entail dropping the transfer case and making adjustments thru the system to get it to slide in place to engage the front?

I have a decent mechanic here that I use for my 40 sometimes, if this gets more detailed, It looks like i may have to take it to him. I am limited on tools, knowledge and space.