Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Lifted

Default Bent Axle

Last problem of the evening (I hope),

Both of my knuckles are leaking, again. I've re-packed the bearings on the drivers side once and the passenger side twice. I even rebuilt the entire knuckle on the passenger's side, just to be sure. The leak is much slower than it was before I worked on them, but that might be partly due to the cooler weather. When I had them apart, the birfields seemed in good shape. There was a little wear on the axle where the gasket keeps the diff fluid out, but it seemed acceptable.

Could a bent axle housing be the cause? And how can you tell? I was thinking of replacing the short and long axles just to eliminate the slight groove caused by the gasket, but I dread taking that apart again. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I can see how a bent axle could cause leaking.. imagining a little runout that widens the ID of the inner axle seal. But only way i'd know to check it would be to pull it out, then put the thing up on V blocks and measure the runout. IIRC, there's a big surface place up where 60wag works where you could actually measure a long side.

But then again, you're not full time 4 so your front axles don't really spin that much, right? Like, maybe they've spun 500 miles since you replaced the seals at the 04WBPP? So I dunno.. they'd have to be really bent to cause a leak so quick. Probably more attributable to the oil & grease mixing because of your grooves. I just bought new axles for the same reason, and will be going in there again fairly soon. HTH..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Do you stil have the outer birfield c-clip in place? Your axle shafts might be pushing into the third far enough that the sealing surface is behind the seal.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Are you sure the knuckles are shimmed correctly? If the axle isn't aligned very close to the housing/seal bore centerline it will wear seals out quickly.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior