Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Power steering questions

I've never had to work on the power steering before and my 60 has started to have some symptoms and I wanted to ask for advice about diagnosing the problem before I start removing and replacing parts.

The power steering seems to be losing power intermittently. I have to fight the wheel sometimes but most of the time it feels ok. Almost all the time I am hearing a chirping coming from the steering column, weird.

Does this sound like the power steering pump is failing?? Not really sure where to start troubleshooting, but if it is the pump I would hate to have it fail and strand Kim somewhere.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Also, pump isn't leaking and fluid looks clean and full.

When a PS pump fails, do they lock up like smog pumps? or rupture and bleed fluid everywhere?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Mine just stopped working. Didn't lock up. Just instant Armstrong.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

You might try flushing the fluid and replacing with fresh. Look to see if there are any chunks in the old fluid. Sometimes the hoses start to breakdown on the inside and will shed particles of rubber. If a particle gets caugt in the relief valve in the pump, it can bypass the pump pressure. Also I found the level marked on the dipstick to be a bit low. If it was overfilled by a half inch or so, I got zero noise from the pump.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, I found a thread on MUD about cycling in fresh fluid and I'll give it a try. Interesting about the level, I'll try that too.

Lots to do this weekend between the 60, 40 and MOAB!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Certainly changing the fluid never hurt. My daughter was so convinced the the P/S pump in her Sebering was shot she bought a new one and we got together in my garage to replace the pump. Turned out the fluid was probably original (YUCK!!!) disgusting black sludge. After several flush/fills, the old pump was working fine, and continues to.

Chirping is almost always the belt on the pulley (assuming I am interpreting your description of the sound correctly). Often loose belt is all that causes chirping. Bearings (bushings?) in the pump going out can also cause the pulley to make the belt slip and cause chirping. One trick is to remove the belt and turn the pump by hand and feel for smooth rotation or not.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Definitely going to flush the fluid. The chirping is strange as it's not heard from under the hood, but inside the cab and sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
When a PS pump fails, do they lock up like smog pumps? or rupture and bleed fluid everywhere?
I found out the answer to this the hard way today. I had procrastinated with the fluid flush due to all the other issues I've had with this rig lately: brakes, burnt valve, rear pinion, etc... Pump died today.

I picked up a spare 60 axle from Mike today (Thanks Mike!) and on the way home the power steering pump stopped working and there is now power steering fluid splattered EVERYWHERE under the hood.

So now I have to do a power steering job as well as the rear end...

At least it's nice out today.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

That sucks that you got your diagnosis this way. OTOH, it could be worse. PS pumps on cruisers leak onto the smog pump which causes it to sieze. PS pumps on runners and mini trucks leak onto the alternator causing them to fail. Hopefully the damage is limited to the pump itself.

While I like Toyota PS, I'm kinda glad all my 70s era cruisers are stock down to steering by Armstrong - less stuff to wear out!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

yep, the PS fluid is all over my new OEM smog pump. I am going to pull it out too and try to clean it out and see if any fluid made it's way in there. I Don't want to replace that thing again $$.

the list of parts I've replaced in the last 6 months keeps growing:

smog pump
starter
water pump
radiator
brakes
exhaust
belts
valves

adding new power steering pump this week plus the diff swap if I can get the long side axle out of the donor, which is stuck stuck stuck.