Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Jenny Creek Work Day: NEED VOLUNTEERS

I'd like to make this an event for a bunch of us.

Details are this:

We have scheduled a Forrest Service Rep to come up with us on July 26th.

We are meeting her at the Country Store in Rollinsville at 9am.

What we need to do:

Fix the Kiosk. Bill should get a chance to do some sweet stuff with his new On Board Welder/power. We need to cut off the top, add some beams, and put up Plywood. We have the beams, the Forrest Service has the wood. It will be ready.

Also, the post and cable we put up has been vandalized, either accidentally or otherwise. Several of the posts were in softer dirt, and have been rammed so they are over. We need winches to pull the posts back, and then people will fill/pack dirt/rock in behind them.

So, My thought would be to make this a big to do. Perhaps we can plan on BBQ'ing up there (weather permitting) after the work is done? We can run Jenny Creek, or whatever, as well.

We're looking for as many people as we can get. The post and cable part will require the majority, and the kiosk less. But lets make a big showing.

If we have enough, we could get a small group to GPS the extra routes and stuff. Bill knows more about those routes than I do, as I always treated them as off trail (sorry to anyone I misled). But the more we get done, the better.

So, sign up!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

the top does not need to be cut, unless the sun logo itself is being removed. A 5lb bfh will remove the lid from the hinges.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun member

John, I am not 100% on the details, but it sounded to me like the Forest Service did not like the sun shadowcast and wants it to be removed.

As far as the whole thing goes, I think it would be a great opportunity, if an effort isn't made beforehand, to do a camping trip and GPS the trails, probably on Sunday after the work is done. Either way, I would think that a setup like last year would be fun, to incorporate a camping trip into the whole deal.

I was bummed we couldn't get a sooner date, but their planners were booked and they didn't feel that the snow was going to be melted out before July.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that the sun logo has to go.

They said the trail wouldn't likely be open until late june, early july, and we wanted to avoid the 4th and the ghost town run.

Generation Dead
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
John, I am not 100% on the details, but it sounded to me like the Forest Service did not like the sun shadowcast and wants it to be removed.

As far as the whole thing goes, I think it would be a great opportunity, if an effort isn't made beforehand, to do a camping trip and GPS the trails, probably on Sunday after the work is done. Either way, I would think that a setup like last year would be fun, to incorporate a camping trip into the whole deal.

I was bummed we couldn't get a sooner date, but their planners were booked and they didn't feel that the snow was going to be melted out before July.

I will be happy to lead an earlier pre-work party up there and we can scope out the issues and help coordinate and possibly make some repairs. I will be in Sydney Australia on the 24th so that date doesn't work for me.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Rising Sun member

But I will head up there with you on a scoping party UB! Probably pretty soon after Rubithon eh?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
But I will head up there with you on a scoping party UB! Probably pretty soon after Rubithon eh?
Yup! Wanted to take the ATV this week but instead I burned today and got another check on my Rubithon list checked off!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Count me in for 7/26! I would suggest an overnighter, with campers, to destress and to add to the fun factor. It is a great place to camp and work.

Yes, the shadowcast must be removed. It caused governmental heartache. It is what it is.

As far as the post and cable repairs, these can be done over the course of a couple outings if the schedule is too tight for one day. But there is really not that big of an area to address, even GPSing it.

Very doable.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thats 3. More needed!

Generation Dead
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would LOVE to actually get to see the area everyone talks so highly about and actually help for a change but I'll be in Ouray with the family
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater