Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun member

The larger pattern is known to be stronger, I'm not real sure why. Plus commonality with minitruck front ends, so I guess there are just more available if ever needed. IMO, I would upgrade the birfield to the short style and get Aisin hubs at the same time too. What it involves is basically a front axle service to switch out the parts you want to replace. The new knuckles would probably need to be recentered though, which adds a couple hours. Look on MUD for deals on hubs and stuff, or go poke around at a junkyard and see what you can find.

Somewhat off topic - I saw a 60 the other day that had Warn hubs on it? Why would someone take off the stock Aisins in favor of Warns?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Why would someone take off the stock Aisins in favor of Warns?
same reason they pull the stock carb to put a weber on...they think it's a performance upgrade.

becasue of the larger bolt pattern, the later knuckles resist the torque from teh steering better.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Luke has high steer arms for the small bolt pattern knuckle.
http://www.4x4labs.com/products/steeringarms.html

I'd upgrade the knuckles though and go with the mini/60 ones though.
I spoke with Brian at 4x4 Labs. They are coming out with modification for the 4 bolt small FJ40 knuckle that will upgrade it to a stonger 6 bolt. They think this should happen in a couple of months at the most. That mod along with their rods and arms might be the ticket if I can afford it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrsr View Post
I spoke with Brian at 4x4 Labs. They are coming out with modification for the 4 bolt small FJ40 knuckle that will upgrade it to a stonger 6 bolt. They think this should happen in a couple of months at the most. That mod along with their rods and arms might be the ticket if I can afford it.
I just got my 4x4 Labs upgrade "rear" steer kit on Friday and need to install it. It comes with mondo beefy new arms. You can't just upgrade to larger TRE's without upgrading the steering arms on a 40 (at least pre-somewhere around 79 IIRC) because there is not enough meat on the arm to safely ream it out. There are probably guys that will do it for you, but most people highly discourage doing it. BudBuilt even advertises a kit that comes with HD rods and 80 series TRE's but when questioned more he agreed that it wouldn't work without upgrading the arms on a 40.

The expensive way to do it is to get aftermarket arms from 4x4 Labs or similar. The cheaper way, but requires a bit more work and probably not as strong (although the wide bolt pattern would be better) is to swap out the knuckles from either a 60 or mini truck. Then you can ream out the arms and run full size GM or 80 series TRE's with HD rods which can be sourced from most places already mentioned, or fab up your own using DOM and weld in bungs from Spidertrax.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Lifted

Thanks for the input. I would be interested in hearing how your install goes. What type of rig is it going on?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Lifted

76 FJ40 w/ saginaw conversion
It's going on a little bit at a time this week, and finishing on Saturday. Need to get ready for a 'wheeling trip on Sunday.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Lifted

The 4x4 Labs install went pretty smoothly. Finished it just in time for a trip to Lefthand on Sunday. The only thing I don't like is the drag link slopes the opposite direction from what one would normally slope, ie uphill from the pitman arm. It works I guess, but I think if I used a flat pitman arm I could get drag link angle close to zero. Brian from 4x4 labs recommended the 2" drop arm, so I used it. I need to see if a flat arm is available (not from a CJ, that's what I had, and it doesn't have enough meat to ream out) I will post pics after I edit them to resize.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Lifted

pics
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Lifted

Looks great! Would it help your angles if you flipped your pitman arm so it angled up instead of down? Just a thought.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Lifted

That would be too much, it would hit the crossmember. I think a flat one will be just right, or if it was tapered to accept the TRE from the top.