Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default One more electrical question. Hella 4000's

So I am going to finally wire up the new Hella 4000's on my 40 tonight. I heard they help it wheel better.

I havetwo questions.

1. The 4000's I have, have this little 5watt light that comes on with your parking lights. Would you just tap the parking lights to have these come on? 5 watts is nearly nothing. I don't think it calls for a another relay. So in the first diagram I am thinking of scrapping the relay and jumping straight off the parking lamp circuit.

2. I want to switch the Hellas with both the high beams and be able to over-ride them with a switch. Do I simply put both "switch" wires onto the same post (post 86) on the relay? Would that work?

Here are the diagrams I have been looking over... city lights are the little ones I mentioned above, and the headlights are the big 100w ones.

Thanks everyone, I swear this club keeps my cruiser on the road!
Attached Images

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

1. I'd just tap in like you have suggested. 5w is not much. If your concerned replace some of the bulbs in your marker lights with LED's. Then you'll probably still have the same current draw in the end.

2. Do you want to be able to (A.) run the Hella's without having the high beams on? Or (B.) just be able to turn them on or off only when the high beams are on?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
2. Do you want to be able to (A.) run the Hella's without having the high beams on? Or (B.) just be able to turn them on or off only when the high beams are on?
This is the key question. Option B would not require an extra relay for sure. Option A would be a bit more difficult since I'm not aware of an Bosch-style relays with two coils, which would be slick.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

just take one of the wires from one of the high beams and tap into it for the trigger for the one relay for the hellas..
82 FJ40
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Are you purposefully avoiding using a separate and distinct switch for the lights? I prefer having mine separated from the truck's lights - so I ran a new switch with ignition-controlled power (i.e., cig lighter) to the relay, and can turn them on whenever I want.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys, I would like to control them on a switch but be able to over-ride the switch and have them always come to life when the high-beams are lit up.

Switched is my choice if I only get one.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

i had mine hooked up like you are descibing and loved it. Switch was on the line coming from the headlight high beams to trigger the relay. the only real reason for the switch was to make the lights not come on when the high beams were on. Worked fine because when I wanted the hellas on, the extra light from the high beams was welcome. On the inntersate i'd leave the switch off and cycle the high beams on and off alone. On 2 lane roads, leave the hellas on in the high beam only mode and you can cruise switching the high beams and hellas on and off together.

with a dual pole double throw switch you could add another hot wire to it and have it be in one position for the scenario i just described, centered for always off, and the other position for always on. that'd be neat. then you could use the hellas only to do stuff like cook hot dogs and not have anything else turned on....
82 FJ40
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Thanks guys, I would like to control them on a switch but be able to over-ride the switch and have them always come to life when the high-beams are lit up.

Sorry Drew but I don't really see the answer to the question I asked. Sounds like you want both A & B? That would require two relays. It can be done as described ^
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

Which of these seems like what you're trying to get. My guess is option 4. I think it will only require one relay, but we'd need to get you a different switch.

Option 1
-High beam switch primary controller (aux lights never come on with headlights off or on low beam)
-Aux switch controls on/off only if high beams are on

Option 2
-Aux switch primary controller (aux lights never come on if this switch is off)
-High beam switch controls on/off only if aux switch is on

Option 3
-Aux lights come on when either the high beams are on or the aux switch is on. This is the completely independent mode. Neither switch overrides the other, always on with high beams and optionally on with aux switch regardless of headlight switch position.

Option 4
-Aux switch turns on the aux lights in one position and in the other they are controlled by the headlight switch. Maybe also an always off position.

Option 5
-Aux switch only

Option 6
-Headlight switch only

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 04-22-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

i was thinking option 2 and 4 in daves post.
82 FJ40