Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Synthetic Oil Switchover Mileage

What is the feeling on miles before swapping to synthetic engine oil? Is around 11,000 miles too early?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

After initial break-in period after the assembly lube has been flushed and the filter changed or some prefer to switch after the 2nd dino oil change has run 500 miles.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

What's this stuff about waiting like 20,000 miles before going to synthetic? No need to wait that long, then?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
What's this stuff about waiting like 20,000 miles before going to synthetic? No need to wait that long, then?

I would wait till 200k! Ohhhh wait I'm there...guess I'll wait till 250k!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I would wait till 200k! Ohhhh wait I'm there...guess I'll wait till 250k!
Dunno, never had a brand new engine and thought synthetic was good for it. Figured having better oil in for a 3,500 mile highway trip in the middle of summer through the desert couldn't hurt, either.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Dunno, never had a brand new engine and thought synthetic was good for it. Figured having better oil in for a 3,500 mile highway trip in the middle of summer through the desert couldn't hurt, either.
There is no doubt Syn oil is better than Dino IF you are not a frequent oil changer. Best thing for anything mechanical is routine maintainance! Having an oil that holds it's quality for 5-10k miles to me isn't nearly as important as having an oil that traps water and holds it's quality for 4k in case I don't get it changed at 3k like I usually do!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
There is no doubt Syn oil is better than Dino IF you are not a frequent oil changer. Best thing for anything mechanical is routine maintainance! Having an oil that holds it's quality for 5-10k miles to me isn't nearly as important as having an oil that traps water and holds it's quality for 4k in case I don't get it changed at 3k like I usually do!
x2

I was running the Mobil 1 0W/40 syn in the LX then discovered the warranty required oil changes every 3 months/3K miles for me . 3 months for me is sometimes less than 2K miles so I was wasting $$ on oil that is designed to go 6K+ miles. I switched back to reg Dino on the LX and run the Mobil 1 in the 's 80. Had an oil analysis done on both at the last oil change (I think I posted the analysis up for comment here) and the Mobil 1 had plenty of like left in it at 5K miles or so and the Dino had plenty of life left at 2K or so miles.

So, if you like to change the oil at 3 mo/3K mile intervals I say Dino. If you want to go longer I say synthetic. In either case I'd have an analysis done on whatever you go with after whatever interval you choose and see just how well your oil is holding up. Then adjust from there
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Before the timing chain break, I was running Syntec at regular 3~4K intervals. So, yeah, I was probably over changing it. But we still had a car back then (I totaled the Civic last fall) and so the truck was getting around 6,000 miles a year on it. Since it's now my daily driver, I'm on pace to double that and have been on 3K intervals (following the 3 quick changes after initial break-in and at 200 and 1000 miles). I'm not interested in the extended life part of the synthetic, my analysis on the old engine recommended 4,500 miles on Syntec, but I suspect that #4 was blowing by more than the other 3 and so that fouled the oil prematurely. My thinking is that since the 22R only takes 4.5 quarts with the dinky filters that Toyota offers, spending the extra $12 (saying Syntec is usually about $3/qt more) or so 3 or 4 times a year isn't a big deal if the oil is better. I do definitely like synthetic in the winter, the engine cranks easier.

But that's all sort of a secondary question. When do you guys feel it's appropriate to switch from crude to synthetic, were one to decide to do so? Just saying, you know, if...

Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I do definitely like synthetic in the winter, the engine cranks easier.
x2 - of course I was running 15W/40 vs 0W/40 as well till I switched out to the Mobil 1 for the winter

Quote:
But that's all sort of a secondary question. When do you guys feel it's appropriate to switch from crude to synthetic, were one to decide to do so? Just saying, you know, if...
Ah yes...back on topic . For me it was 100K miles on both pretty much . Honestly once you're past the break in period does it really matter . I've read about people worrying about switching to synthetic after 100K miles and getting leaks and burning more oil than normal but I've never read about concerns on switching early.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
For me it was 100K miles on both pretty much . Honestly once you're past the break in period does it really matter . I've read about people worrying about switching to synthetic after 100K miles and getting leaks and burning more oil than normal but I've never read about concerns on switching early.
That echos my original experience, switched the old engine at 120K with zero issues. So the feeling is that approximately 10,000 miles probably wouldn't be too soon. I do suppose that it's really about as broken in as it's gonna get, eh?