Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
x2 - of course I was running 15W/40 vs 0W/40 as well till I switched out to the Mobil 1 for the winter

Ah yes...back on topic . For me it was 100K miles on both pretty much . Honestly once you're past the break in period does it really matter . I've read about people worrying about switching to synthetic after 100K miles and getting leaks and burning more oil than normal but I've never read about concerns on switching early.

As soon you have a good ring wear-in and engine temps normalize you can switch. Synth is too slick for break in but after thats done your golden!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave,

There's as many opinions on this question as there are on choosing the oil itself. Some engines come from the factory with synth, whereas others think a looonnngg break in is necessary. I'm with you - not right away, but early. I switched my Tacoma over at around 6000 miles - I ran two rounds of dyno, drove conservatively for the break-in period, then jumped over to synth and have stayed there.

I'd say you're in a perfect spot to make the change!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

just change it now. like jacket says lots of motors come with synthetic from the factory and lots of motors recommend it over anything else. I think the leaky seal problem is not as bad as it was in years previous.. formulations have changed. I have run synthetic in moors that leaked, didn't leak, and leaked a little lately and have not noticed a change in leakyness. of course the second i say that...

but yeah, i had the tundra since new and threw synthetic at the first oil change. at 130k miles it ran fine with good compression, no oil consumption, no leaks, blah blah blah. then i totalled it. it was basically new still. it even ran while it was upside down for a few minutes and that didn't hurt it noticably. swap it over as soon as the budget allows.

my .02
82 FJ40
Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is when I have done most of my syn oil swaps on rebuilt engines. This gives a real good break in period IMHO. later Robbie
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Amsoil claims that its products are perfectly good at helping an engine break in properly. Sorry, no link to substantiate that comment.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Based on Burt's experiences with rebuilt or new motors in minitrucks, prior to around 10K you can have issues with rings seating properly, and oil consumption, and crappy running. Sure, some motors come from the factory with synth, but they are built to do that. It does not hold across the board. Because Amsoil is a true (and good) synthetic, I would be hesitant to accept their claim for our motors.

I know you had some issues with rings seating, are they fully seated now? Good compression (~165-170)?

In other words, this supports Robbie and I agree with him (which is always a safe position to have!).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Based on Burt's experiences with rebuilt or new motors in minitrucks, prior to around 10K you can have issues with rings seating properly, and oil consumption, and crappy running. Sure, some motors come from the factory with synth, but they are built to do that. It does not hold across the board. Because Amsoil is a true (and good) synthetic, I would be hesitant to accept their claim for our motors.

I know you had some issues with rings seating, are they fully seated now? Good compression (~165-170)?

In other words, this supports Robbie and I agree with him (which is always a safe position to have!).
What am I chopped liver?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Commander

You must be on his "ignore list."

I've found that synthetic brake fluid squirts out a leaky brake line just as fast as normal dot3.. and both containers roll under the clutch on descents equally well.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
What am I chopped liver?
It's what happens when you become known as a speed freak.

Name:  Aussie_smallmanspeeding.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  3.5 KB

KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
speed freak

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler