Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default One step forward, two steps back...

Well, in my general truck prep on the 40 for Moab tonight, I was going to replace the juice in the pumpkins. The front was nice and clean the rear was uhhh, not.

I found some (5-8) "glitter" on my magnet on the drain plug and a small peice of thin metal, like bearing material or something...

Now, this is a DD 40, it has got lots of issues both known and unknown, and I have known the pinion has had some play in it for some time. Last time I was in Moab I drug around a spare diff (it is in my garage) just in case something went bad. Now, if I grab the flange at the pinion I can move it pretty much in a circle. It has play all around (I can move it about 1/8"). The pinion nut is tight and staked and RED threadlocked so I am pretty sure it is the pinion, bearing or similar. Again, I drive this thing everyday and I haven't had an issue. It isn't any worse than it was a few years ago, the last time I messed with it so I am wondering if I could run the next few months until the ARB money is in place?

I know this needs to be address at some point. I had a plan of installing an ARB with this spare unit, but maybe it is time to drop it in?

I can always carry the diff as a spare again.

If I do drop it in I have a few questions:

1.How do I check the "new" diff to see if it is going to be any better for me, the history is unknown on it.

2.Do I need cork gaskets on both sides of the diff or can I simply use RTV or similar?

3. Can I run it, I know I have run it for a few years like this without issue, after all, it is a 40 designed for 3rd world use!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Well, in my general truck prep on the 40 for Moab tonight, I was going to replace the juice in the pumpkins. The front was nice and clean the rear was uhhh, not.

I found some (5-8) "glitter" on my magnet on the drain plug and a small peice of thin metal, like bearing material or something...

Now, this is a DD 40, it has got lots of issues both known and unknown, and I have known the pinion has had some play in it for some time. Last time I was in Moab I drug around a spare diff (it is in my garage) just in case something went bad. Now, if I grab the flange at the pinion I can move it pretty much in a circle. It has play all around (I can move it about 1/8"). The pinion nut is tight and staked and RED threadlocked so I am pretty sure it is the pinion, bearing or similar. Again, I drive this thing everyday and I haven't had an issue. It isn't any worse than it was a few years ago, the last time I messed with it so I am wondering if I could run the next few months until the ARB money is in place?

I know this needs to be address at some point. I had a plan of installing an ARB with this spare unit, but maybe it is time to drop it in?

I can always carry the diff as a spare again.

If I do drop it in I have a few questions:

1.How do I check the "new" diff to see if it is going to be any better for me, the history is unknown on it.

2.Do I need cork gaskets on both sides of the diff or can I simply use RTV or similar?

3. Can I run it, I know I have run it for a few years like this without issue, after all, it is a 40 designed for 3rd world use!
Swap it with the front for now!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Swap it with the front for now!
Seriously? Then I gotta pull the birfs ... I have an extra just sitting on my shelf.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

RTV is fine

I never use gaskets on any of my drivetrain. I have zero leaks. I know a guy who put gaskets on everything, and everything leaks.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you have a spare, why not put it in? If you know it is the correct r&p. Why swap front to rear if you know the bearing(S) bad? If the 'new' dif doesn't have play, it's probably better than what you have currently. I have a cork gasket for a 40 I'll be bring to CM08, you can have it. RTV the dif, cork the cover.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

the cork gasket only goes on the cover. there's a paper gasket between the pumpkin and the axle housing. the only time i use rtv is as a trail fix. gaskets have always worked fine for me. never a drop under any of my diffs.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Seriously? Then I gotta pull the birfs ... I have an extra just sitting on my shelf.
I suggested swapping if you decide to drive it as is and it gets worse or the spare diff you have is iffy. Personnally, I would swap to your spare as long as it's usable.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Another vote for RTV only. Permatex "The Right Stuff" is expensive but seals better than anything.

Don't drive on a bad pinion bearing, it WILL come to a bad end!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

My thought (not worth much) is that if it's not causing any issues/vibrations, run it as is and replace it down the road. Getting too close to CM departure time to be tearing things apart.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'll be driving down there on wed night. i could sweep ya up.

seriously dude, sorry for the troubles... maybe you can have somebody that knows rearends take a look at the chunk yo uhave sitting there? if it is good to go (not to go against martins opinion or anything) i might really look into swapping it. i mean it shouldn't take more than a few hours. I have 3 of the the cork gaskets for a 60 if that works for a 40. I use cork on the cover side since i hate scraping silicone, and the stock gasket or silicone on the chunk side.

but yeah, a few hours is pretty significant in prep time.. I am not near done with the rear bumper and I go out of town tomorrow through tuesday night. still have to fix leaks, pack, mount fire stuff, mount co2 man o man. Hell, i'd help with the chunk but bro I am already freaking..
82 FJ40