Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default CB Coax, what to do with extra cable?

Howdy friends. I have remounted my CB antenna to clear my roof line and hoping to get a little better reception by being higher. I added a grounding strap to my swing out and things are coming along nicely.

I was wondering what to do with the extra 2' of cable. I remeber in the HAM class it was said not to coil the extra up. I have looked at my cable and it looks like I could run it down my rear crossmember (the one that the shocks attach to on the 40) and zip tie the cable making a long U shape. Is that okay? It looks like my best shot right now.

Any other tips while I am there? FWIW, I cleaned all my connections with air.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I always thought it was OK to coil the extra cable, just don't cut or shorten it. (?) Mine is coiled in my glove compartment and I think I get pretty good reception.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Martin, that is good to know,I am sure one of the wise guru's will chime in soon.

Here is my new mount placement...
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

looks clean! You're getting some skillz with the welder! How many 's to help me fab up some soft half doors from an old set of Bestop soft full doors?

About the co-ax, I checked on the Walcott CB site and they suggest loosely coiling it serpentine style (like a climbing rope I guess) and securing in the middle. Since you only have a couple of extra feet, it should work fine. I had about 10 extra feet since my CB is in the dash and the antenna is only a few feet away on the cowl.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
About the co-ax, I checked on the Walcott CB site and they suggest loosely coiling it serpentine style (like a climbing rope I guess) and securing in the middle. Since you only have a couple of extra feet, it should work fine. I had about 10 extra feet since my CB is in the dash and the antenna is only a few feet away on the cowl.
x2

Nathaniel or Dave may chime in but according to Nathaniel you do NOT want to just coil the excess coax (bad ju ju) up. What Nathaniel showed us at the antenna building party was to coil the excess coil up and then secure it right in the middle with a zip tie so it comes out looking like an "8" or the infinity sign

I'm going to try this with the 2-3' of excess I have coiled up in my PS footwell area on the LX and see if that helps with my high SWR levels.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

In another post I think Dave said to coil it like a bowtie and not to use a circular coil because that acts as an inductor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
x2

Nathaniel or Dave may chime in but according to Nathaniel you do NOT want to just coil the excess coax (bad ju ju) up. What Nathaniel showed us at the antenna building party was to coil the excess coil up and then secure it right in the middle with a zip tie so it comes out looking like an "8" or the infinity sign

I'm going to try this with the 2-3' of excess I have coiled up in my PS footwell area on the LX and see if that helps with my high SWR levels.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
In another post I think Dave said to coil it like a bowtie and not to use a circular coil because that acts as an inductor.
Yep...Bowtime, figure 8, infinity sign....Any of those as long as it isn't in a circular shape.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default From the CB antenna placement thread...

"...there are a couple of things to keep in mind when installing an antenna on a vehicle.

2. Keep the feedline (coax) clean and short. No big loops of extra coax bundled up anywhere. These become loading coils that will mess with the resonant effects of your antenna. Don't kink the coax. It too will mess with the impedance..."

"The way to "coil" up any excess coax is to loop it and then tie it together in the center of the loop to form a kind of figure "8". That way, you minimize the effect the coil will have on the antenna. (Basically the coil would aid in "matching" the feedline to the antenna, so the impedance is the same at the feed point of the antenna and the coax.) Without knowing what your impedance is at those two locations, you don't want to coil up your wire."

Martin, if you have 10 feet coiled up in your glovebox, I would recommend that you cut it to length and teach yourself (I would help and I'm sure Dave would too) how to solder a new Amphenol PL-259 on to the end. Don't worry about the coax you cut. If you figure out that putting a new connector is not that hard, you can use it other places. Even so, coax from Radio Shack is not that expensive. If you do this your signal will almost certainly improve.

BTW--Just because you hear people, doen't mean you have a good antenna/signal. A long wire 50 feet long will be a moderate receive antenna. It is how you are set up to transmit thats what counts. A long piece of coax actually has more db loss than you think, especially when it comes to the piddley 5 watts CB has to work with. Plus, at the right length, the coax may act like it is resonating as an antenna, really screwing things up.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

wisdom much appreciated.

I'm usually hard to hear in person, so if I can can get assist via gadgets, it's all good.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

How about this? I have about 2' left over, what if I run it down the frame rail, along the crossmember, make a U turn and back to the frame rail and continue. Is that better than the figure 8?

Thanks!
D
rew