Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Valve Adjustment

I stopped by Jeff's garage this afternoon to have another set of eyes on me as I did my first valve adjustment. While this job is fairly straight forward I was glad to have one of our more experienced members around. It was a great opportunity to return Jeff's wire cutters (from the WBPP) and get the garage tour.

Here is a shot of the feeler under the valve and the screw driver being used to set the gap. There were several valves that were too tight and I'm glad to know they are now where they need to be.

In addition to the valve adjustment, we also popped in a new fuel filter and corrected a couple of big wiring issues.
The first was the wire from the starter to the ammeter, all the sheathing had been burnt off and it was just a bare wire. A little diligent testing for continuity confirmed we were looking at the correct wire and in short order the replacement was in and tested.

The second issue was the positive wire on the battery was bolted to the engine block versus the frame. This is now grounded to the frame.
We also bumped the timing and the truck is running great. It is still idling very high from the adjustments needed for emissions. I will take care of the idle later this week. Jeff, thanks for the learning today.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Also replaced were the fuel line between the filter and pump, and the filter. Now it's back to stock!

Oh yeah, that hot wire was scary. It's the one that carries all the truck's juice to and from the battery to the rest of the system via the amp meter. All the insulation was melted off and of all the stuff we did to that rig today, that was the most important.

Ricardo did the routing (the hard part under the dash) and I just connected the ends. All in all it was a good team effort!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

And another thing, the sender got hooked back up so now I can see my oil pressure.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941