Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Lifted

Default 2M Antenna for roof?

Been trying to get into the NTS net on 145.310 for the last couple weeks, but they are just receiving static. I'm just using my FT-2900R and an N9TAX Slim Jim on a painter's pole in the back yard.

I'm wondering if a rooftop antenna will help me reach out better. If so, what would you guys recommend? I don't have any stupid HOA rules or anything, so I can put whatever I want up there. One of my neighbors has a pretty funky looking antenna, but I haven't been able to talk to him to see if it's a ham antenna or something else.

Maybe I should mount a Slim Jim on the roof?

Last edited by daveIT; 08-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Dave what do the other southerners use? Specifically KD0MSP and W0AFA.. I hear them all the time and they're full quieting for the most part, you ever ask them? I know Anthony is in Castle Rock so not so far down but AFA is certainly in the Springs.. and he's mobile too I know you've heard him.

also I thought there was a better way to hit the Connection from the Springs than the .310, but don't remember (and yes too lazy to look it up) but my suggestion is ask some of the other guys what rigs they're running, and if they're on 145.310 or something else. hth!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

The CS CCR repeater I think has been having link issues, the Denver 145.310/-0.600/123.0Hz machine hears people talking into it but I'm not sure the CS 145.130/-0.600/123.0Hz machine re-transmits the linked audio. The CS machine seems to work locally in the Springs, so it seems to just be the link. The Denver machine seems to work fine, both locally and state-wide. I might be wrong, the truck is down, so I've been driving our car and it doesn't have a radio in it (I forget without exception to bring an HT).

That said, with the standard issue Larsen 2/70 open coil on my truck I can get S6ish into the Springs repeater from south metro Denver. At home I can do either the Denver or Springs CCR repeater with a Diamond X30 on the roof (about 20' AGL). I would expect a Slim Jim to work fine, but would depend on elevation. With VHF and UHF it's all about height and line of sight. A 1/4 w.l. over a decent ground can work long distances as long as there's no obstacles between stations. If there is a house, a tree, a mountain, then even a yagi isn't gonna do miracles. Put the Slim Jim on the roof and I bet it works better. This assumes you have a clear view of Mt Thorodin, which is west of Boulder.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Lifted

Hmm...I have a pretty straight shot to Pikes Peak, but kinda blocked in a bit on the other sides. Not sure which is Mt Thorodin...I'll have to find my gazetteer. I'll ask George (W0AFA) what antenna he uses next time I catch him on.

I should be receiving my Baofeng UV-3R in the next week or so...I can't wait to mess with that too!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Colorado Springs CCR repeater is on Cheyenne Mt.
145.130MHz, -600KHz, 123.0Hz CTCSS

The Denver CCR repeater is on Mt Thorodin
145.310MHz, -600KHz, 123.0Hz CTCSS

Mt Thorodin is a few miles west of Arvada and Boulder, about 2 miles north of Golden Gate State Park.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Lifted

Got this from the Colo Connection email list today...

The Uhf link on Thorodon is back up and operational!
Thanks to John Maxwell - W0VG and Doug Sharp - K2AD
Thanks guys !!!!!

I should be linked back up for the NTS net now...