Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Question Rear axle advice needed

As you can see from the attached pics, I have some serious axle leaks. Both sides are leaking as is the pinion seal. I want to order the right replacement parts, but am not sure what to order since this Cruiser is new to me and been heavily modified. I have some paper work from the PO and it appears that there is a Warn “full floater kit” PN 38593 installed with Impala calipers.

So, should I order this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as would alternatives to SOR that are cheaper
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I would assume the axle seals and for sure the pinion seal would be stock Toy. Patronize your supporting Toyota dealers! I bet they will beat SOR's price too! Be sure to check the axle bearings as often they need replacement about the same time as the seals go.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

axle seals are the same as oem. be careful with the o ring on the dial. they are a pita to get to seal. after talking to warn, i finally just took it out and started using "the right stuff" from permatex. if you need the socket for the spindle nuts, i have one you can borrow.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys. Ige, how big is the spindle nut? I think I will just buy the socket.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Spindle nut is 32mm, iirc... you can borrow mine if you can get it back from Martin.

I have this set, and I think it's easily worth the $20... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34683 the smaller ones will split if you abuse them, but the bigger ones are pretty beefy. hth..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Spindle nut is 32mm, iirc... you can borrow mine if you can get it back from Martin.

I have this set, and I think it's easily worth the $20... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34683 the smaller ones will split if you abuse them, but the bigger ones are pretty beefy. hth..
He has the Warn Full Floater set up in the rear....is that the same spindle nuts?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff,

No help on your questions but I have one for you...

I was looking at my shocks (Ranchos) the other day and was sort of surprised by how compressed they appear...Looks just like your picture.

I'm wondering if you've had any problems with up travel limit? Maybe it is just my imagination (as I haven't tested them yet to see) but it seems that if a person were to stuff that wheel into the wheel well the shock would limit the upper travel of axle as opposed to say the bump stop...

Just wondering
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 05-06-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
He has the Warn Full Floater set up in the rear....is that the same spindle nuts?
nope, it's the chevy/ford style spindle nut with the 4 notches in the edge. can't remember the size.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Wincher

I would also check the axle shaft itself where the seal sits to make sure the surface is not pitted or grooved really bad. Maybe sleeve it if it is.

When I first got mine (2000) they both leaked so bad the rear drums would lock up when stopping and takeoff. Had the Toy dealer replaced both seals and drum brake pads...lasted 6 months. Had someone else do it...lasted a year. Then replaced an axle shaft and it has been good since.

My problem was most likely from water being in the rear diff that caused the pitting on the shaft and the seal would either not sit right or get chewed up. Good luck

'08 Lexus IS250-Black on black on black
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff,

I have only had this 40 since November and its been under repair most of the time. As a result, I have had limited time with it off road. So far I have not had any issues but agree that there does not appear to be much travel. These are the cab actuated air shocks, which has been nice.

Cheers,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Jeff,

No help on your questions but I have one for you...

I was looking at my shocks (Ranchos) the other day and was sort of surprised by how compressed they appear...Looks just like your picture.

I'm wondering if you've had any problems with up travel limit? Maybe it is just my imagination (as I haven't tested them yet to see) but it seems that if a person were to stuff that wheel into the wheel well the shock would limit the upper travel of axle as opposed to say the bump stop...

Just wondering