Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Another advantage of selectable is less wear and tear on the whole axle assy. By only being engaged when you need it, you cut down on the possibility of breakage more.

On the other hand, the 6-700 dollar difference will buy you ALOT of spare parts

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Another advantage of selectable is less wear and tear on the whole axle assy. By only being engaged when you need it, you cut down on the possibility of breakage more.

On the other hand, the 6-700 dollar difference will buy you ALOT of spare parts
Yup, that is a full cage, sliders, and seat harness... this is what is driving my decision now.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't think you will regret an auto locker, Drew. The extra traction is a huge plus, they are easy to install, cheap, and if you get funds later for an ARB, they are easy to remove.

'85 FJ60
Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Rising Sun member

Lockright in the back of my 40 for two summers and winters now. My

Cheap, easy, your driving WILL adjust, and though it was nice to drive home with an open diff after I broke my pinion last fall and I even mentioned that to my buddy, BUT for the price it's hard to beat. Not to mention you can pick one up for $200 now, use it for a while, and then sell it for the same price later on down the road.

I have towed my Hobie 14 several times; maybe about 300-400# total trailer weight, about 60-80# tongue weight, 0 (NO) problems. None. Didn't make a difference, except my engine had a harder time pulling up hills.

Winter - my classic story - two winters ago driving a slick windy road in 4x4 and hammering the corners TRYING to make it break traction. Once I got to where I was going I realized my hubs weren't locked . Point is I have not noticed any more tendency for it to kick out and feel very confident on slick roads - EVERY time if it does start to kick as soon as I let off the gas it rights itself without overcorrecting. I think a lot of that is due to the MT/Rs. Basically I think people get hyped up about its quirks, but I still maintain it's the best $200 I've spent for offroad-ability on my truck. Well, maybe next to replacing a bald Sears special with a new MT/R

Try it, you can't lose, and you can always go to the (MUCH more) work of installing a selectable later. I'm still planning on it, but for now I'm good.

/soapbox

Not quite - a 40 is fairly light and I don't think it really sees that much stress, especially considering the engine that's pushing it around.

Also the off-road ride will become smoother because you don't have to pedal-mash your way through things to counteract your loss of momentum due to tire spin. Huge + for the one riding in the passenger seat
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've had Lock Rights in both the front rear of a 40 and my 55 and really wouldn't be too concerned about it's affect on the vehicle driveability. The only slightly annoying thing is the loud noises you get now and then when the thing unloads on you. And when you start off on pavement, sometimes you get a little "nudge" to one side in the rear. But it really isn't that bad. They are much cheaper than ARBs.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

hey Drew,

I have an aussie in my 60. sure it's not a 40, but am 2 miles away from you....

i've never driven an arb truck, but i can imagine it'd be nice to have an open rear again -sometimes. When it was slick out (like ice sheet I-70) this winter it was kinda hairy.. unless you like the feeling (if ya know what i mean), but in packed snow it was not bad. For the money, I love it.... the learning curve is small.

haven't towed yet.. but i bet it's just fine.

you around this weekend? if so i can swing by and toss ya the keys for a few hours so you can really try it out.
82 FJ40
Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

oh and i installed it myself in about an hour.... drain pan hits the floor... drying my hands with a paper towel an hour later.
82 FJ40
Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Drew, you can ..almost... buy a locked 80 for the price of installing ARB's front and rear in your 40. I ran a lock-right for a couple years in my 40. No issues, don't romp on the gas in the snow while going around a roundabout. Then again, I don't ever recall that being a good idea in a 40. I would Aussie the rear and forget about it. (then sell it for a uzj100 in a couple years when you have kids)
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Drew, you can ..almost... buy a locked 80 for the price of installing ARB's front and rear in your 40. I ran a lock-right for a couple years in my 40. No issues, don't romp on the gas in the snow while going around a roundabout. Then again, I don't ever recall that being a good idea in a 40. I would Aussie the rear and forget about it. (then sell it for a uzj100 in a couple years when you have kids)
Buy Lock Rite! Support the ones who invented it and not the ones who pirate the design!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The advantage of ARB is (besides winter driving) you only engage the locker when you really need to. It makes you a better driver.

Lock-rites are a bit hard on the carrier too, and are a failure point; I would suggest an Aussie or Detroit Locker if you want to go that route.
If you can afford an ARB go for it. I couldn't and went with Lock-Rite in the 62. Great mod for the price.

As far as being hard on the carrier and being a weak point I'm not sure I agree with Red Chili. I talked with a guy in Moab who has blown up a diff and re-used his Lock-Rite because it survived just fine. (Second hand testimonial)