Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Lock-right has a new design that eliminates the ratcheting sound and is suposedly quieter. Anyone have experience with the new version?

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Lock-right has a new design that eliminates the ratcheting sound and is suposedly quieter. Anyone have experience with the new version?

Drew
I wore out 2 "No Slip" in my 62. I went back to a LR instead and later put a Real Detroit in the rear. I put the ARB in later as I was twisting axle shafts due to pulling heavy trailers big sticky tires and 300 hp under the hood. I personally will never run a "No Slip" again. Huge praise for Powertrax customer service! They listen and back up what they sell!

Note: Ignore the "Auto Lockers (in the rear) are death machines in winter" whiners! They either never really done it or couldn't control the right foot!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Many, many people do very well in all seasons in everything from long wheel base domestic rigs to jeeps and everything in between with auto lockers.

You can get used to driving it.

Its personal preference. I drove several trucks before my purchase. All 4 runners or pick ups, since that is what I have. My personal choice was that I couldn't stand them in the slightest, and vowed never to own one. I personally liked the lock right the least. The bucking and ratcheting both annoyed and scared me. DO NOT try a full power u-turn. Its not pretty.

What bothered me was the thought of the unexpected driving, not the everyday stuff. I felt that I could adapt my driving style to handle the every day, run of the mill, driving. But then I thought about evasive maneuvers and emergency situations. I felt that I didn't have the driving skill to adapt in a panic. I'd handled situations like that before, but open/open. I was concerned about something coming up on the highway, making a maneuver that I thought I could handle, and then the locker engaging and messing up my day.

However, since the purchase of my lockers, I've never come into a situation like that. So perhaps it was just paranoia.

I advocate for ARB's because I love mine, and like to see them have the business. Their customer service is off the charts, their products have been to me, bomb proof, and I never have to worry about any different behavior. Full open when I want it, full spool when I want it.

Some second hand testimonial about other drivers. Should you decide to get the auto locker, for the first few snows of the season, I would take Stacy out and have her drive it both in an empty parking lot and on the icy streets.

A good buddy of mine let a friend drive his rig in the snow. The friend had never driven a locked truck before, and within 2 miles, put the truck off of an embankment. No injury, but at some point, Stacy may have to drive the cruiser in bad weather. Better safe than sorry.

In the end, I will again suggest that you do the following:

-Drive a couple of rigs. Several here have offered. I think you'll find the auto lockers are not as bad as internet hoopla leads us to believe.

-Once you have some experience with it, base the decision on your personal preference, and your wallet. Lots of opinions out there, in the end, yours is the only one that matters.

I'll be happy to lend a hand installing whatever you get.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

i recommend driving one too. take mine for a day... you and stacy can drive it all ya want.
82 FJ40
Old 05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Why do I need a locker you ask?... (compliments of Hulk)

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili

Last edited by Rezarf; 05-14-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

yeah, i like that shot!
82 FJ40
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Buy Lock Rite! Support the ones who invented it and not the ones who pirate the design!
So, following this train of thought, should I then be driving a *eep instead of a 40??

'85 FJ60
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I've never had a problem with my lock rite. It hardly ever makes noise. Proper set up is the key as well as tire pressure on each side. Slight adjustment to driving is all. In 4wd in the snow can hardly even tell it's there. 2wd is a different story and more fun

for what you can pick up a used one for around here or off mud (150) buy one slap it in. if you like it keep on truckin. If you don't pull it and sell it for what you paid for it. no harm no foul.

Every time i'm wheelin people ask me if i'm open in the rear. They can't tell watching or riding. I've had mine for some 8 years. In a 60, then my 40, now my 70.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Note: Ignore the "Auto Lockers (in the rear) are death machines in winter" whiners! They either never really done it or couldn't control the right foot!
If you're referring to me, I'm not whining about driving it in winter. In fact I drove my 40 about 4 days a week this winter due to my wife needing the 60 a lot and I'm "livin' in the hills" now on twisty, hilly, snow packed roads. I never said it was sketchy on snow or even on slick roads. I did say, and I will say again that it is down right squirrelly on ICE compared to my open 60. Swampers and manual steering don't help on ice either though.

'85 FJ60
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
If you're referring to me, I'm not whining about driving it in winter. In fact I drove my 40 about 4 days a week this winter due to my wife needing the 60 a lot and I'm "livin' in the hills" now on twisty, hilly, snow packed roads. I never said it was sketchy on snow or even on slick roads. I did say, and I will say again that it is down right squirrelly on ICE compared to my open 60. Swampers and manual steering don't help on ice either though.
Nope.....not talking about you! I'm just ranting about all the arm chair wheelers that chime in every time the auto locker vrs selectable locker argument shows up. I get sick of hearing from so many "experts" with so little actual experience!

Depending on the circumstance I will almost always rant in favor of an auto locker over selectable. 4 wheeling has a lot in common with the agricultural world and the "KISS" theory will more often than not get the job done with the least amount of downtime!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior