Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Rising Sun member

Robbie had some good info on the Trail Leader Training day about winch cables. A lot of kinks get formed when spooling a cable onto your winch - sometimes they will come out if you put some tension on the winch cable then tap the cable with a hammer. I think he said broken wires here and there are okay, but if more than 1/4 or 1/3 of the diameter of the cable is cut/broken then it's definitely time to replace it.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

It's just me (and Rudeboy will likely agree in spades that it is just me... where is my OCD medication now? It was just here...) but I would not run a cable with more than a strand or two broken. If strands are breaking what is the condition of the remaining ones? Just too dangerous, potentially, even if you could get away with it. What are the consequences of a broken steel cable?

A synth line, not so much.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

the guys near my cable while i was winching said they could hear it popping... no doubt those were more strands breaking...
82 FJ40
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I would not run a cable with more than a strand or two broken.
There is certainly some margin, and it might be a lot, built in to the wire rope, but if you didn't need all those strands to achieve a rating then you'd better believe that the manufacturer would not put them there. I'd be suspect if there's more than one wire broken in one strand of the rope or if there's more than a couple in the whole rope. It depends on how many total and all that stuff.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

On my old winch I too had broken strands. I checked it carefully one day to make sure I could still use it. When I got to one of the sections that showed a broken strand I dug a little further, inside the cable I found several more strands that had broken. It was on a kink that was caused by me not winding the cable properly pulling out another person. Once I found that section with about 5 broken strands I looked for more, I found several more in kinked area that were hidden from plain sight.

my believe is this, where there is one broken strand there are more, if not now there will be. I am sure you could still pull out some people or yourself for that matter but if you are able to, $$$, replace it I would. For the money you spend on either a new steel or synthetic line it is well worth it.

I got mine from RockStomper before Moab and a tire carrier hinge, can't say enough good things about them and the price was one of the best I have seen. in fact I just ordered another tire carrier hinge from them and some gussets. Guess I need to add them to the good seller list ;-)

My two cents, replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've got broken strands and kinks and should replace mine. I assume 125ft. of 5/16th rope for my xdi9000 would be appropriate ($205.00 on the rockstomper site)?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
I've got broken strands and kinks and should replace mine. I assume 125ft. of 5/16th rope for my xdi9000 would be appropriate ($205.00 on the rockstomper site)?

That should do the job, nice guys over there too. just got another hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
Don't forget an extension and possibly even an extra 10' length of the rope "guard"

I've read UV is one of the bigger damagers to the syn rope and wished I had ordered the extra 10' length of guard at the same time I did the rope. Dang shipping was more than the guard IIRC . Anyway, when spooled onto the winch one 10' section only covers about 1/2 of the exposed rope. Two lengths and some careful reeling in pretty much insures the rope is entirely covered except for the section on the thimble

Not sure, maybe you can just order one longer section of it up front
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

125' seems a bit long, but maybe its just me. I like the idea of 80' or 100', plus a 40 or 50' extension when needed. That way, you are more likely to spool out enough of your main winch line to get the max pulling power of the winch (for shorter pulls), and then you've got an extension or two if/when you need the extra long pull.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got an extra section of rope guard for mine also... and I stuck with the longer rope.

I have an XD9000i and i went with 125' of 5/16" rope FWIW..

quick question... how do I make sure the winch line dosen't damage itself as it reels in over the lug on the left side? my cable actually broke the lug off as it wrapped onto itself...
82 FJ40