Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default 9th Annual Father's Day Run

Bring your father! Bring your kids! Let your kids drive =-O

Yes, my son is coming this year and he may drive us - yikes!

I will be leading our ninth annual Father's Day trail ride on Spring Creek Trail on Sunday June 15th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular and will probably take longer. As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway) exit of I-70 at 8:00AM and depart at 8:30 AM. We used to start later, but an earlier start may help us avoid too much trail traffic. The trailhead is off the Downieville exit of I-70. We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5. Those coming from the west feel free to join up with us as we breeze through Downieville.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, some whoop dee doos right after that, a hill where we had a rollover a few years ago, but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. Last year we discovered how to take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above. We figured out a route on the bypass roads last year and can get all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs on the side routes.

There were links to reports from previous runs from the old forum, I'll see what I can do to provide some visuals of what to expect. Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Links to the last two years from this forum:

2006 7th annual

Happy cruisin'!
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin.
I got some of that permagrin on me at Spring Creek back in 2001, and it still hasn't washed out. It happens every time. I really should know better by now.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you son JJ is coming I may have to join this year. My dad and brother don't like to spend fathers day on Spring Creek. But, perhaps I will step out of the box and bring my kids and Mom (to watch the kids and keep them fed and watered). I'll work on it.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

In.
Who knows, perhaps Forrest will drive the Chili through the Trees?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
In.
Who knows, perhaps Forrest will drive the Chili through the Trees?
Hmmmmm....."Can't see the Forrest through the trees!"
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
If you son JJ is coming I may have to join this year. My dad and brother don't like to spend fathers day on Spring Creek. But, perhaps I will step out of the box and bring my kids and Mom (to watch the kids and keep them fed and watered). I'll work on it.
That would be awesome, Scott! You and I did the very first "annual" run and each time you do this run with me your rig is more and more capable. I'm sure your kids and Mom will love it!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Trail Ready

THERE'S THAT TREE! If I could only cut down one tree in the whole forest it would be that tree! Look forward to doing Spring Creek, it's only a short drive from the house too.

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well my wife and relatives will be out of town so I'm considering taking my little girls myself. It would be the first real wheelin' trip with them, but I should be able to handle it. It's time to start anyway. I may have to skip the first obstacle at the bottom, I know they would freak out on that one.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I'd like to make it, but we'll be leaving for Rubithon the next day.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I'd like to make it, but we'll be leaving for Rubithon the next day.
i just realized that too... maybe we could still find a way to do part of it, though. Who knows we may have new mods to test out..

www.gamiviti.com