Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default Diesel folks...

Anyone notice the Diesel sold at Diamond Shamrock runs better?

Awhile back I decided that every time I filled my gas trucks with Diamond Shamrock gas, they just didn't run right. Stumbling, poor acceleration, and usually a few codes related to some emmissions component that didn't like it either. Switched back to Shell or Phillips66 and all the issues would clear up.

Took the truck in for service (headlight had moisture in it) and had it fixed under warranty. That was a good five months ago. They have a survey to rate them and bought me off with a Diamond Shamrock gas card for 50bucks.

I "filled" the tank in the DMax (50 dollar card and an additional 50 in cash) and went on my merry way. Gas mileage went up from 11 MPG to 20 MPG in the city without changing my driving style. As far as my foot knows, my gas pedal has been replaced with an on off switch. To continue my unscientific seat of the pants research, I filled up again with a 2nd tank full of this snake oil. Get it?...Oil burner?

This is what happens when you overfill the tank and reset the gages while coasting downhill with a tailwind That has got to be embarrasing to the Prius out there. Much like the Subaru WRX that got smoked by the crew cab three quarter ton on the way in to work this morning.
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

No diesel yet...............but these prices it will have to wait even longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

well, no bs, my 2007 chevy gas got 22mpg from grand junction to denver
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
No diesel yet...............but these prices it will have to wait even longer

i could sell you one i have a 2004 gmc 1 ton dually....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Actually when the Prius costs downhill the thing just pegs at 100mpg.. it's actually making gas at that point. but it don't tow for squat

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Wincher

Talking The Jetta doesn't seem to notice

We've got an 06 Jetta Tdi. I ran Bio-D for a couple of tanks, but the 20% price premium and 15% efficiency loss just didn't work for me. Otherwise, I haven't noticed a huge different between brands. I truly believe diesel will catth on, especially for folks like me who drive mostly on highway. I put ~26,000 miles a year on my car. We average 42Mpg and I drive it like I stole it. This is about 40% better than the GTI I had prior. With diesel at about a 15% premium of unleaded, we're still coming out 25% ahead on fuel costs. I'll be trading up to the 09 tdi wagon when it's available. it's not just about the price of fuel, it's about TCO...

My $.02

Check out my life
Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluefj View Post
i could sell you one i have a 2004 gmc 1 ton dually....

Not now, I just put some power items on the GMC and they work. Also some airbags for the rear and I am set for now. A diesel is in the future but it will be a 2500 crew SA. Thanks for the offer Kevin, we'll see you in a few weeks again

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

PS around town my GMC 1500 gets about 18.5 mpg on the highway I can get up to 22.5 if it is driving to CS or something like that. Mountain driving takes me to about 19-20 mpg. Not to bad for a full size truck with an egg on the gas pedal

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
PS around town my GMC 1500 gets about 18.5 mpg on the highway I can get up to 22.5 if it is driving to CS or something like that. Mountain driving takes me to about 19-20 mpg. Not to bad for a full size truck with an egg on the gas pedal

yep - I would keep my 2007 except that I can't afford a payment, and can't write a check for 23,000 to buy out the lease. that and it doesn't wheel for crap.

other than that it's amazing that a 6klb truck gets 22mpg with a gas motor.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

THIS JUST INDIESEL $2.08 A GAL AS OF YESTERDAY

In Sonora Mexico. talked to Rick Donnelly, in tucson Az. you can bring back up to 100 gals + the truck fuel tank. I guess Mexico doesn't like to F there truckers like the US does