Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
There's a fix for that. Did it 5 years ago on my 40, and have now forgotten the details. I think there is a seal that needs to be replaced between the transfer case and transmission. Did it when we put the Mark's gears in my transfer case.
I have been procrastinating because I want to do a 4 speed swap. It's a nuisance, but I just check the fluids regularly. I'll make sure that seal is correct on the new trans and transfer.

'85 FJ60
Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Be careful about your transmission oil. With dino oils, GL4 or GL5 really do not matter. GL5 has additives for the kinds of wear ring gears experience - with 'slippery' additives for that reason. GL4 does not, and therefore should NOT be used in differentials, but SHOULD be used in the transmission.

This becomes especially apparent with synthetics. Mobil1 is fine gear oil - but if you use it in your transmission the synchros won't 'grab' as well and shifting will suffer.

Redline MT-90 is about the finest GL4 you can put in your transmission. I have no experience with Royal Purple in the tranny, but any of those oils listed are good.

OnTrack Performance is a good source, in Englewood.

So is http://www.redlineoil.com/buyonline.asp?id=4
and I have bought from these folks:
Turner Motorsports
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 05-20-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: my brain flipped the numbers, DOH!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrsr View Post
I have ARB's. Does that make a difference?
Nope.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

martin, Get one of these or make your own. http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...ansfercase.htm

Since you know that seal is leaking if it goes and you starve the xfer idler bearings it will be shot really quick. cheap ins.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Lifted

Thanks for the helpful input.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

MTL and MT90 are both API GL4 (suitable for GL1 and GL3) and that's good. The rest of Redline's gear oils, the regular line, Shockproof, NS, etc. are all hypoid GL5. Additives for GL5 are designed for differentials and are designated Extreme Pressure. The additive in GL5 is usually sulfur-phosphorus, which is corrosive to copper, brass and bronze. This is why GL5 kills the metal in most synchros. I found this out AFTER putting Castrol Hypoy-C, which is GL5, in my transmission and since trying to find GL4 lubes (Pep Boys usually has Pennzoil GL4 80W90, as much as I'm no fan of Pennzoil). In this case, GL5 is not better than GL4, unlike API's rating for motor oil, where a SM rating is better and backwards compatible with the SF or SG, which books call for after about 1980. In any case, GL5 should only be used if the manufacturer specifically states that it is safe for yellow metals (Redline I do believe says so). If my understanding is right, only GL4 (or GL5 without EP if they exist) would be by specification safe for our transmissions.

Edit:
Went back and checked my owner's manual. It says GL4 or GL5 in the transmission and transfer case, but GL5 hypoid in the differentials. So in theory, a GL5 without the additives for EP might be fine, but finding that would be much tougher than the regular GL4 I'd bet.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yea - I think RC has it backwards. The GL4's are better for synchros in the tranny; GL5's are fine for the diffs.

For what its worth, I replaced my tranny and transfer case fluids in my 40 with MT-90, and there is no more or less leaking than there was before. In fact, there's still zero leaks from my MT, and very minor leak from the transfer case that I can't quite figure out.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, I have it backwards. Sheesh. Fixed the original.

I just washed my brain and I can't do a thing with it.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
I just washed my brain and I can't do a thing with it.
Bill = Gossimer?

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

That one I had to Google:
Quote:
Gossamer is an animated cartoon character in the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons. The character is a hairy, red monster. His rectangular body is perched on two giant tennis shoes, and his face, which resembles a heart shape, is composed of only two oval-shaped eyes and a wide mouth, with two hulking arms ending in dirty, clawed fingers. The monster's main trait, however, is a bright red truck. ...

Hmmm...

BTW, you misspelled Gossamer...
KDØRCH
Bio Page