Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I have flat towed all over the country with no issues. Flat towing is my least favorite way to tow a vehicle. Tow dolly's are an option and tow better than flat towing but most of them are brakeless too! If you rent a tow dolly they will not recommend it as your tires are too tall. Again, I have dollied all over the country towing 35" tired FJ-62 with no problem. Trailers are the best way to tow but your combined weight of rig and trailer really dictates the use of a heavy duty tow vehicle.

If I didn't have any options that I do and I wanted to get my 40 out there I would flat tow it behind my 80 but thats just me and I'm silly. Thinking about it I probably would drive the 40, bikini top and all! Then again maybe I would have done it when I was younger.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Yeah, for only $1499!! I might as well drive the 40 out.
The price is high for that unit but there are others available online. I was mostly sending it out for the different state laws. Like UB said, you most likely will never have a problem with either the law or the 40. I have flat towed the 4Runner with my GMC 1500, I don't like it but I would do it again if I had to. We thought about flat towing it out to California to save on fuel but in the end decided against it. the wear and tear on the truck and tires for 2400 +- miles and possibility of a major malfunction just was not worth it.

Having said that, I also have to say that if you were to get into an accident while flat towing the 40 as it sits now. If somebody got hurt your insurance may not pay. After doing some research and asking around getting into an accident with a trailer with no brakes puts the liability squarely on the drivers shoulders. I also looked about flat towing and tow dollies, pretty much the same deal. I don't want to scare you but look into it before you decide one way or another. Every state has a little bit different laws regarding (flat) towing and dollies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Lifted

Where are you guys coming up with this info? Show me in the Colorado Revised Statutes where it is illegal to flat tow, or flat tow without braking systems. There are requirements for trailers to have brakes over somewhere around 2500 or 3000 lbs, but flat towing is not a trailer. It is NOT illegal in this state to flat tow. If you want to site federal laws, have at it, but the CSP or others do not write tickets for federal DOT violations. This is the same argument made by people who insist beadlocks are illegal, when they are not.