Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default What do you put in your parts washer?

Almost just like the title says - I know most of you put parts in there. I am wondering what cleaner you put in. I finally got around to cleaning up the parts washer I picked up from Ige and it is ready to be filled up with cleaner.

A follow-on question as well. Do you have to empty the cleaner out after each use to keep it from evaporating away?
TLCA #18941
Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I bought 5 gal of cleaner from murdochs. Even with the lid closed i've had alot evaporate. I've filtered it a couple times too. I just keep the lid down when it's not in use.

You could also mix your own. mineral spirits, diesel, kerosene etc.

The stuff safety kleen used to use in our parts washers at an old job was awesome. I might spring for it one day.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I bought 5 gal of cleaner from murdochs. Even with the lid closed i've had alot evaporate. I've filtered it a couple times too. I just keep the lid down when it's not in use.

You could also mix your own. mineral spirits, diesel, kerosene etc.

The stuff safety kleen used to use in our parts washers at an old job was awesome. I might spring for it one day.

Just make sure the solvent you use is not chlorinated or you will have a tough time getting rid of it when you change it later! I buy my solvent from Bartkis Oil here in Boulder. Also do not be tempted to use low (thanks Jeff) flash point materials (Gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc) or you will create a very nice bomb!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 05-19-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, the machine shop I worked at as a teenager used diesel fuel as a machining oil, cutting threads, vertical mill, etc.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
FWIW, the machine shop I worked at as a teenager used diesel fuel as a machining oil, cutting threads, vertical mill, etc.
Works good to keep your shovel clean when you're laying down hot asphalt too. That's a job I don't miss. Diesel - the miracle fuel!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
And obviously lunch time beverages....that there filled in a few pieces of the puzzle Bill!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
I forget whether it's Haynes or the FSM (I'm thinking probably FSM) that recommends diesel.

Personally, I use regular old mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner. High flash point, low vapor pressure, low toxicity, as inexpensive as it gets and cuts grease and grime better than most of the water based cleaners I've tried. Diesel and kerosene are similar, with the latter having a higher vapor pressure and a lower flash point. Gasoline has a rather low flash point and I wouldn't use it.

When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I forget whether it's Haynes or the FSM (I'm thinking probably FSM) that recommends diesel.

Personally, I use regular old mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner. High flash point, low vapor pressure, low toxicity, as inexpensive as it gets and cuts grease and grime better than most of the water based cleaners I've tried. Diesel and kerosene are similar, with the latter having a higher vapor pressure and a lower flash point. Gasoline has a rather low flash point and I wouldn't use it.

When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.
Diesel works very good out doors in an open container! Good for your hands too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was at Marco's recently and he had Agitene in his HF parts tank. I have tried all kinds of enviro solvent solutions and was tired of them being ineffectual. I bought the Agitene today and WOW!; this stuff is expensive but it rocks.

It reminds me of being a gas station mechanic in 1980 using some carcinogenic solvent without gloves that worked too! I am so happy.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
diesel is the same...so is gas. it's the gas fumes that explode.

i used to pay for actual solvent, but it's up to about $45/gln now! so i just use diesel. works great, cheap, available anywhere.
ige tlca #1431