Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like the agitene quite a bit, but it's not cheap. Not as hard on your hands as kerosene which I have run in parts washers a lot before.

I like diesel when i'm outside in a drain pan cleaning parts though cuz it's cheapo but it kinda stinks..
82 FJ40
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
diesel is the same...so is gas. it's the gas fumes that explode.

i used to pay for actual solvent, but it's up to about $45/gln now! so i just use diesel. works great, cheap, available anywhere.
The manuals say to use kerosene
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

I use the Stoddard(do not know the spelling) solvant from Bartkis as well. It will last a long time in the tank, and forever in the buckets with lids on. Stuff falls to the bottom inbetween the buckets I store them in currently. When I run the solvant, it has two filters in it to catch the big stuff and to filter out the grease. Will last a real long time in that tanks system. I currently do not run the tank because I do not want it next to the house.
I also use when I travel gasoline. It strips the grease quick, easy to get ride of and will evaporate if I let it out side long enough(easy clean up).
Diesel and Kersene do not have my vote, as it does not clean as well as the solvants and gas(IMHO), just a bit better than organic solvants that do not clean work a sh*t. But I would never run gas or store gas in a solvant tank. I usually use the gas in a bucket or tub and not leave it around too long.
I have not tried the Agitene, sounds interesting.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
When I run the solvant, it has two filters in it to catch the big stuff and to filter out the grease. Will last a real long time in that tanks system.
I used an F engine oil filter bracket mounted to the side of my tank to use stock oil filters inline. It is amazing the amount of junk they trap!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.
This also works with a full container gasoline tho.But pour out the gasoline and the butt flick starts a fire in the vaporous container.

When I was about 12 I was volunteered to paint a fence for a neighbor over the summer. My hands got a bit covered with paint and the only solvent in the garage was the gas can. My hands caught fire after merely seconds of vigorous rubbing. I was super lucky that day that the kiddie pool was close by.