Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Angry Stripped threads, round two...

Ok, either I'm just having a rash of bad luck or I don't know how to properly put bolts in

First the caliper bolt hole in my DS knuckle and now my AT drain plug

I had a feeling it was coming the last time I did a drain and fill so I already had a new plug on hand. Well, I can't get the dang plug out. I spent some time trying the screwdriver trick to pry while turning but that didn't work. It was getting late so I decided to just leave it for a later date but now I have a drip/leak because I couldn't get the old plug to snug back up enough. Not a big one, but about 1/2 dollar size every 1/2 hour or so so I can't leave it this way for too long.

I searched and it seems about a 50/50 mix of folks who have run into this found that it is either the threads on the plug itself or it is the threads/nutsert dealyo in the pan. If it is the threads on the plug then no biggie (assuming I can get the old one out). If it is the threads on the pan then

If it is the pan that is the problem, of all the options for fixing this I am leaning toward just getting a new pan, depending upon price. I figure I'm going to have to drop the pan anyway to fix it so why not just replace it. Thoughts? Anyone else in the club run into this yet?

EDIT: Anyone ever try using one of these? Either the piggyback type or the self tapping oversize ones? --> http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_p...ize_repair.htm

If so, which size is appropriate for a '97 FZJ80 tranny drain plug?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

The oil drain plug on my 60 was rather large. The dealer was unable to come up with a seal that was the right size for the plug. I think it was an oversized plug to address stripped threads. It worked just fine and made an oil change quick work. You might check the price of a new pan and the price of whatever tap you'll need to mod the old pan and then decide which solution makes more sense.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Ok, either I'm just having a rash of bad luck or I don't know how to properly put bolts in

First the caliper bolt hole in my DS knuckle and now my AT drain plug

I had a feeling it was coming the last time I did a drain and fill so I already had a new plug on hand. Well, I can't get the dang plug out. I spent some time trying the screwdriver trick to pry while turning but that didn't work. It was getting late so I decided to just leave it for a later date but now I have a drip/leak because I couldn't get the old plug to snug back up enough. Not a big one, but about 1/2 dollar size every 1/2 hour or so so I can't leave it this way for too long.

I searched and it seems about a 50/50 mix of folks who have run into this found that it is either the threads on the plug itself or it is the threads/nutsert dealyo in the pan. If it is the threads on the plug then no biggie (assuming I can get the old one out). If it is the threads on the pan then

If it is the pan that is the problem, of all the options for fixing this I am leaning toward just getting a new pan, depending upon price. I figure I'm going to have to drop the pan anyway to fix it so why not just replace it. Thoughts? Anyone else in the club run into this yet?

EDIT: Anyone ever try using one of these? Either the piggyback type or the self tapping oversize ones? --> http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_p...ize_repair.htm

If so, which size is appropriate for a '97 FZJ80 tranny drain plug?

The oversize plugs will work for now and will be a semi perminate fix UNTILL you change/drain the oil again. Oversize plugs are self tapping and unless you get lucky and hit the new cut threads right on you will cut new threads everytime you put it back in. This will, however, give you time to locate a new pan. The thing that pops up in your post is "I had a feeling it was coming the last time I did a drain and fill"! Why are you changing your AT fluid so often? 30k-50k is normal interval for AT fluid change.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
The thing that pops up in your post is "I had a feeling it was coming the last time I did a drain and fill"! Why are you changing your AT fluid so often? 30k-50k is normal interval for AT fluid change.
Just a drain and fill UB...4 qts or so...I did a complete flush last year and then had planned to do a drain and fill every year after CM (or thereabouts) to just keep it fresh. Every year would equate to about 7-8K miles for me so it might be a little "over the top" but IIRC it takes about 15-20 drain and fill cycles to completely refresh the fluid based on the spreadsheet RT put together (MUD dude) so maybe it isn't .

Sounds like the best approach long term is to get a new pan. Thanks for the quick responses
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Jeff, what about welding a nut to the inside of the pan? Even JB weld.. I did that to my 62 oil pan once to stop some drips, and it worked.

I too am on the every 6 month 4 qt drop & swap program, and have noticed that plug is feeling a little soft but hasn't really changed much in the last 3 years or so. I'm careful to not torque it down very hard, (same with oil pan) a technique that seems to be working well, but is still probably limited.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Seems like it is entirely possible you can drop the pan, pull the drain plug, retap the threads to clean them up, and reassemble... ???
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yep on both accounts Tim and Bill...depending on what the problem truly is. It is either that the drain plug is stripped (that bugger is tiny), the threads in the pan itself are stripped, or the welded nut on the inside let go. I'm thinking it is either #1 or #2 as the plug will get a little tighter and then loosen, not just spin in place.

I've decided to just get a new pan and go from there. Cost wise it isn't too bad, and I doubt if the pan has ever been dropped and the filter cleaned. Figure now is the time to do it and I'll probably never have to touch it again. I'm hoping to get the drain plug out to drain the pan to avoid the mess of trying to drop the pan full of fluid

And Tim, re: not tightening it down too much. I agree. I don't recall the true FSM torque spec but it is under 20ft/lbs IIRC. From now on, I'm only going to torque (by hand) it down just enough to squish the crushable washer (new one EACH drain) and check for a leak. No leak = good. Leak, gently tighten it down just a skosh more
TLCA #17037

:

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, new pan! that will be some nice bling under there..

so hey if you're scrapping the old one then quit trying to save the bolt, just drill some holes in it, or smash the dipstick tube with a BFH & chisel.. would be kind of fun to try to cause a leak, wouldn't it?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Seems like it is entirely possible you can drop the pan, pull the drain plug, retap the threads to clean them up, and reassemble... ???
I had good luck with this method on my trail bike. The tranny fluid has to get changed pretty often on it, and I got the pan so stripped to where the plug would spin freely and had a steady leak. I retapped it one size larger (M12 maybe?), and it's been holding strong ever since (about 2 years).

But since you're going with a new pan, hopefully you can extract the old bolt, and replace everything cleanly.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I too am on the every 6 month 4 qt drop & swap program
What the heck is that? Must be an 80 thing I don't understand ;-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/